Picture Quality....no complaints, just some questions

Ronstang

Ronstang

Well, I have MCEBuddy doing a file in H.265 right now and boy is it slow.  The remuxing alone is taking half the time it takes just to convert the file to H.264, in fact it is going to take over 30 minutes just to remux when before it took a couple minutes.  This may not work for me.  I'd rather buy hard drives than only encode a handful of movies a day.

Ronstang

OK, I tried a different file, a recorded movie off of HDTV and it is going to take about twice as long to encode.   We will see what the results are, but the audio is AC3 as I cannot figure out if I can even use MCEBuddy to create a 2 channel AAC audio stream.

24 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Well, I have MCEBuddy doing a file in H.265 right now and boy is it slow.  The remuxing alone is taking half the time it takes just to convert the file to H.264, in fact it is going to take over 30 minutes just to remux when before it took a couple minutes.  This may not work for me.  I'd rather buy hard drives than only encode a handful of movies a day.

Remuxing shouldn't be longer between AVC and HEVC as it's just a stream copy with no decode/encode.

If you're doing conversions using only CPU then yes you can expect 2 to 3 times longer conversion and about the same in storage space savings.

If you have a GPU which can do HEVC conversions then it's much faster than CPU conversions.

Ronstang

I'm using hardware acceleration but handbrake is now using 100% of my cpu anyway and my computer is unusable.  I could barely respond to you. They lag trying to type is horrible.

Ronstang

I'm still using MCEBuddy because Xmedia Recode is too confusing and I don't have all day to figure out software.  I just wanted to do a quick comparison by endcoding the same movie in both H.264 and H.265.

And I'm using an nVidia GeForce GT730 2G which averages about an hour to do an H.264 conversion.

That GPU will not do GPU conversations for HEVC and likely will not for AVC either.  There was one variant of the card that could do GPU conversion but the quality wasn't that good.

Ronstang

Then I'm out of luck, I need hard drives more than a video card.  I am assuming that my onboard Intel graphics won't either then as this is an old i5 4960K.

Ronstang

Can you recommend me a budget friendly nVidia card that will do H.265 endcoding?  I don't play games, I only care about video conversion.  No AMD cards please, their driver support is garbage and I will never use one again.

Ronstang

I definitely need a new video card......the movie I just compressed will fit on the a CD and I guarantee the H.264 version I'm doing now will be 3.5 times that size.

BTW say a 1050 on ebay for $50.  Brand new GTX1060s NewEgg, Amazon & Bestbuy in the $159 range.

I'd get the 1060 new if you don't mind spending that much.  If you have a decent size collection to convert it will be worth it.

Ronstang

Where are you seeing GTX 1060's on Amazon for $159?  All the ones I see are way more, even the 1050s.....now that seems to be the price average of the GTX 1650 which has the Turing chipset that you say is faster

1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

Where are you seeing GTX 1060's on Amazon for $159?  All the ones I see are way more, even the 1050s.....now that seems to be the price average of the GTX 1650 which has the Turing chipset that you say is faster

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNRR5SJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Of course local works as well. :)

Ronstang

The only difference between the one I linked is it has GDDR5 instead of GDDR6 memory......with that make a difference in video encoding?

For our purposes not much difference will be seen.  Get what's convenient for you.

Ronstang

MicroCenter has the GDDR6 upgraded version of that card for $10 more and for that money the bandwidth is almost double with lower power consumption so it's worth the money.

• Like 1

Ronstang

I opted for another $5 and got the Phoenix version with GDD6. It has a single fan with ball bearings for 2X the life and a shorter form factor which works better in an HTPC.  This thing is fast compared to what I have.  It's converting an HDTV recorded movie to H.265  in under 35 minutes instead of 2 hours 40 minutes in software.  I'm curious to see how much faster this card is doing H.264.

Edited by Ronstang

So you ran out and got it?

Tell me what you think quality wise and storage space wise how it compares for you CPU vs GPU. I had been meaning to order a 1065 myself for a month and kept forgetting about it.

So I pulled the trigger on the Amazon one I linked to. Scheduled for Sat delivery but will likely get it faster.  I'm going to put that in my Ember server and pull out the 750 Ti that's in there now (can't do h.265).

If you're installing this in your Emby Server you might want to check out https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch/blob/master/win/README.md

Not as hard as it might seem.

Edited by cayars

Ronstang

I won't want to do more then one session at a time.  This thing is fast but the problem is Handbrake is still pushing the PC to %100 CPU utilization again and the PC is sluggish so I'll only be able to run conversions when I'm not using the PC for anything else besides recording because that has priority.  The problem is now the PC is running hot again with the CPU averaging 90 degrees C so this machine is going to start randomly freezing again.  I had it fixed but that was running H.264 conversions and that only had CPU utilization at around 65%.

Don't want to sound like a dead horse you really want to try other encoders besides handbrake.

It's been a while since I've even used it but I believe it has a thread count you can use with it to limit how many it will use.  Lower thread count will run slower doing conversions but if you can limit the CPU to 25%-50% you might find it allows you to still use the computer while it's converting your files.

Ronstang

The file I just converted using HEVC was fast at 38 minutes but the file size is as large or larger than it would be with H.264.  I'm running the H.264 conversion now.   The HEVC conversion I ran earlier using software only was 3.5 times smaller than the H.264 version.   Looks like hardware encoding is fast because it doesn't actually do anything.