Picture Quality....no complaints, just some questions

Ronstang

Ronstang

I am using the same profile as before.  This is too complicated.  Nothing seems to work as it should.

It will work, but encoding takes time to learn to do right.  One profile for all files is normally not the way to do it. CPU vs GPU profiles may need to be different.

Your encodings will only be as good as the time you put into things.

Ronstang

Don't worry, I'm a stubborn German....I never give up and you're right, I will get it I am just frustrated is all.  I just checked the H.264 encoding I made of the same file and it is 500 MB smaller than the H.265 so something is way borked up here.

• Like 1

Ronstang

I solved the CPU utilization problem, let's see if it solves the other problem....I went into the config file and switched it to ffmpeg being the first to try instead of handbrake and now ffmpeg is encoding in about the same time but using 50% less CPU.

Edited by Ronstang
  • Like 1

Ronstang

I experiment all the time......I just don't always understand what I'm experimenting with until I've wasted a bunch of time LOL.  What made me think to try this is I use the task manager a lot and usually have it open to check things and I remember that I have not seen handbrake being used in forever....and that usually when I am running MCEBuddy that ffmpeg is running, and that your choice Xmedia Recode uses ffmpeg.  Now, I have no idea why all of a sudden it is opting for handbrake over ffmpeg or how it even decides but I did remember that there is an order switch in the profiles page so I just switched ffmpeg to be first.....problem solved.....well, one problem solved.

At least my PC is usable like usual and my temperature dropped 30 degrees C.

Edited by Ronstang

Ronstang

I just finished the H.264 file and using ffmpeg the H.265 file is 60%  the size of the H.264.  Now earlier using handbrake software encoding the H.265 file was way smaller at 28% the size of the H.264 encoding.

Do you have any thoughts on why such a big difference in file size?  I watched some of the H.265 software encoding earlier on the TV and the quality was spectacular so I would love to figure out how to get the files this small with hardware encoding.

PenkethBoy

the size difference is likely to be the bitrate of the output file

bigger size usually the average bit rate will be higher

this is down to the settings you have used with ffmpeg

handbrake has many defaults and usually they are aggressive by default - so smaller files size - not always a good encode result - i used it a few years ago but have found if you invest the time in ffmpeg options you get a better result thats in your control and less of a black box

cpu encoding although slower generally gives you a smaller size for the "same" settings vs a gpu encode - but this is significantly quicker at the expense of slightly bigger file sizes

so its a trade off in the end - but can quickly become a rabbit hole you disappear down chasing the difference between options

but if you cant tell much if any difference when watching the output and you made a space gain in the process - maybe time to stop :) 

• Like 1

pwhodges

Note, for instance, that if you are using the CRF setting, values for h.265 are in a different range from those for h.264.  The Handbrake documentation doesn't mention this.  Values 3 to 5 larger are likely to give equivalent quality.

Paul

• Like 1

Ronstang

Here is the contents of the profile for H.265.......at the moment I understand very little of it

[HEVC MKV]
Description=HEVC in MKV (H.265/AC3) conversion. Creates a smaller file (50% smaller than H.264) with comparable quality but very slow.
order=ffmpeg,handbrake
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 0 -vf yadif=0:-1:1,hqdn3d -vcodec libx265 -preset medium -crf 26 -map 0:v -sn
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec ac3 -ab 160k -map 0:a
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec ac3 -ab 256k -map 0:a
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
handbrake-general=--decomb --loose-anamorphic --verbose=2
handbrake-video=--start-at duration:0 -e x265 --encoder-preset medium -q 26
handbrake-audio=-E ffac3 -R auto -B 160 -D 0 -a 1,2,3,4,5
handbrake-audioac3=-E ffac3 -R auto -B 256 -D 0 -a 1,2,3,4,5
handbrake-ext=.mkv
handbrake-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true

Ronstang

I found a new issue with H.265.....when I play a file in emby ffmpeg shoots up the CPU utilization to 99%.....when playing H.264 CPU utilization stays in the mid 40s.  This happens for all H.265 content but if I play it with PotPlayer the CPU utilization starts off with a spike to mid 60s for a few seconds then settles down and bounces between 25-33%.

Edited by Ronstang

What client are you playing the 265 file in?  Not all clients can playback 265 while almost all can play back 264 content.  Chrome or Firefox browsers for example have no native support for 265 so the content will get transcoded by the Emby Server to 264 for those clients.  That could be what you see if this is on the server.

PenkethBoy
52 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I found a new issue with H.265.....when I play a file in emby ffmpeg shoots up the CPU utilization to 99%.....when playing H.264 CPU utilization stays in the mid 40s.  This happens for all H.265 content but if I play it with PotPlayer the CPU utilization starts off with a spike to mid 60s for a few seconds then settles down and bounces between 25-33%.

you are describing emby transcoding your file on the fly because you are using a browser i suspect

Ronstang

This is why I come here guys.  I am new to this and wasn't thinking.  That was the issue.  When I play the same file on my Firestick 4K CPU utilization is 1% or basically idle.  I use Chrome but if I switch everything to H.265 that is not going to work anymore.  What browser do you suggest and how can I configure Emby to start in that browser automatically instead of Chrome which is my default browser.  

Ronstang

The only thing I can find in settings is to open Emby in my default browser....which is Chrome, and I'm not changing my default because everything Microsoft sucks and I will use Edge for Emby but I don't want to use it for anything else.  How can I make Emby open in Edge if it's not my default?  This should be an option in the dashboard.

Simple thing to do is NOT use a browser on your home PCs but use Emby Theater instead!

Microsoft Edge can have support for h.265 if you install the right version but to me it's just far easier to use Theater.

Have you tried that yet? 

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Ronstang

Yeah, I've tried it but I just had to buy an almost $200 video card I hadn't planned for so Emby premiere will have to wait for now.  I need more storage first also so it will be a while.  I don't actually want to watch content on my browser or a desktop app, I have no need for that.  I am not switching to my HTPC to watch content when my Firestick does all I need with no hassles.....and I watch mainly in the bedroom and not the den.  I only use the browser to manage my server and check and test my content so staying with a browser is all I actually need.

There should be a way to select the browser of choice in Emby if browsers are so finicky playing content.

Edited by Ronstang

Sorry didn't even think you might not have Premiere.  You're missing out.  If the video card is also in your Emby Server it can be used for real-time transcoding as well which is powerful stuff!

Keep in mind you could just subscribe to Premiere on a monthly basis for $5.  Do that for a couple of months then buy the lifetime license when it's easier to do.

Ronstang

So you're telling me there is no way to make Emby use the browser I choose?

I just tried Edge and it immediately hits 100% CPU so it doesn't support H.265.....which browsers do?

Edited by Ronstang

You can always turn off Emby from automatically opening a browser then open the browser of your choice from a link, favorite or even a taskbar or desktop icon.

Ronstang

That is fine, except I need to find a browser that has support for H.265 and I have the latest version and it does not work

8 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

That is fine, except I need to find a browser that has support for H.265 and I have the latest version and it does not work

Microsoft Edge on Windows does, provided your graphics card supports hardware decoding of hevc, and you have the hevc extension installed from the windows store.