Avoid 4.5.1.1456 QNAP Firmware Update

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

Avoid 4.5.1.1456 QNAP Firmware Update

Besides causing issue with using Emby it has numerous other issues - which is very common these days from QNAP

Please avoid jumping on new firmware updates till they have a couple of weeks to be tested - especially if you a running critical apps on your NAS

and especially if you consider Emby to be critical to you.

See https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=157375 for some of the other issues people are facing.

Luke has posted they are working on getting the cert sorted but thats not going to happen overnight.

• Like 1

I was working hard over the weekend until now to solve a problems caused by 4.5.1 Firmware Update.

As it was done on Thursday already and my critical apps stopped working I rolled back on Friday 16/10  to 4.4 (It is not recommend so don't try it at home 😁), to buy some time for fixing the solution rather then work around.

Only problem is with digital signature of all apps. If some application is not digitally signed the QNAP will stop it and ask you to remove it.

Warning: it happens every time you open AppCentre, unsigned apps are stopped and you receiver an error notification.

By now I reinstalled all my 3rd party apps with digital sign, updated back to 4.5.1, everything works perfect accept EMBY!

There is work around (I hate those types of solutions): You can start your Emby Server by clicking on Qboost, find Emby in the list, then on "start" button.

Your server will be working until you will not open the AppCentre (it will automatically stop Emby). You can also reach web interface by typing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096 or servername:8096

It works, this solution is tested.  Only annoying thing is that QNAP can stop this app will stop any unsigned app at  anytime and you have to turn it on in QBoost.

related topics: 

Edited by Mick13

PenkethBoy

Yep - not easy or certain

just downgrade the firmware and wait for a better tested release

1 hour ago, PenkethBoy said:

Yep - not easy or certain

just downgrade the firmware and wait for a better tested release

Downgrade is not recommended as you may loose data. Too risky for Emby. In meantime I will be starting Emby from QBoost.

8 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Then you will have to live with it

You probably don't know what is the reason of latest software, digital sign and so.

PenkethBoy

I do know - and downgrade will work - and if you have a proper backup then risk is minute to zero that you will lose anything

People have reported its as successful

5 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

I do know - and downgrade will work - and if you have a proper backup then risk is minute to zero that you will lose anything

People have reported its as successful

yes, it is same sort of people which see a check engine light and rather getting car service, they remove indicator. No light, problem fixed.

Having latest upgrade is a security issue. Last year a bug destroyed thousands Qnap devices even with proper back up.

My advice is: get solution rather then work around. 

PenkethBoy

only a security issue if you open your qnap up to the internet - which without other protections in place is a dumb thing to do - as qnap's are not hardened for internet facing

solution will come in time - currently you have a firmware with numerous errors - thats not a good situation to be in and you have no idea if those foault compromise you security as well.

yes, it is same sort of people which see a check engine light and rather getting car service, they remove indicator. No light, problem fixed.

Thats a very poor example - its nothing like that

• 2 weeks later...
PenkethBoy

Still going to get similar problems - i would ignore until on the QNAP forums people are not having issues with Emby AND the firmware

QNAP - need to do a lot of work yet. 

NiftieNev

I have a QNAP TS-431P and I have tried to install "emby-server-qnap_4.5.2.0_arm-x31" and "emby-server-qnap_4.6.0.5_arm-x31".

Both return the error: Installation package incompatible. Use the correct package.

Help please

1 hour ago, NiftieNev said:

I have a QNAP TS-431P and I have tried to install "emby-server-qnap_4.5.2.0_arm-x31" and "emby-server-qnap_4.6.0.5_arm-x31".

Both return the error: Installation package incompatible. Use the correct package.

Help please

Hi, have you installed it before?

Hi Neville,

I have a QNAP TS-431P2 and I had the digital signature problem with the new firmware.  I tried removing Emby , but then I couldn't install either "emby-server-qnap_4.5.2.0_arm-x31" or "emby-server-qnap_4.6.0.5_arm-x31" even though I have installed them before.  I then downgraded the firmware back to 4.4.3.1439, which is now working perfectly, but still couldn't install either "emby-server-qnap_4.5.2.0_arm-x31" or "emby-server-qnap_4.6.0.5_arm-x31". In the end I tried  "emby-server-qnap_4.5.2.0_arm-x41" which installed and is running successfully. I then tried the beta "emby-server-qnap_4.6.0.5_arm-x41", again it installed and is working well. Not sure what's going on, but at least my system is back running again.

Steve

NiftieNev

Yes I have and 99% tested all is OK. Not sure it is correct as it is not for my QNAP model but if it works and the NAS does not reject it, I guess I will stay with it for now until someone works out what is wrong. I have not tried EMBY on my phone with a moderate signal yet. 

Neville

Cypheron

Is it safe to install QTS 4.5.1.1480 Build 20201108 firmware update (released today) on QNAP TS-453Be? Can you test it with Emby? Thanks.

PenkethBoy

no idea - wait two weeks to see what bugs are found in latest firmware and make your decision then

Psyborg
On 11/10/2020 at 4:45 PM, Cypheron said:

Is it safe to install QTS 4.5.1.1480 Build 20201108 firmware update (released today) on QNAP TS-453Be? Can you test it with Emby? Thanks.

It works on my TS-453Bmini with no problem.

Just now, stevenism said:

I just installed QTS 4.5.1.1480 and now I cannot connect to the qnap emby from port 8096.

Please fix this...

Hi there, what happens when you try? Are you sure Emby Server is started and running?

stevenism
On 11/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, Luke said:

Hi there, what happens when you try? Are you sure Emby Server is started and running?

Running emby 4.5.2.0 for QNAP x86 on QNAP TS-253A on firmware 4.5.1.1480

Emby app shows as running in QBoost. However:

- Running port scan from internal devices shows port 8096 is not open.

- Emby roku app shows connection refused to 192.168.1.xxx (QNAP NAS internal IP) at port 8096

- Connecting from Firefox to 192.168.1.xxx:8096 give error "Unable to connect"

Did the latest firmware killed / closed port 8096? Should I try reinstalling the same version over the existing installation?

Thank you so much!