Can not get discreete graphics to work under Docker

ChoromPotro

ChoromPotro

Context :

I am using a very old laptop running pop OS 20.04 and docker . I have a 3rd gen i7 on this and an nvidia 740m GPU. I installed graphics driver from ubuntu repository and my discreet GPU works (image attached for clarity) because I can see kodi picking up the discreet GPU.

Problem :

I installed emby beta 4.5.0.20 from dockerhub and installed nvidia container runtime and loaded the systemd module on it :

nirjhor@pop-os ~/Downloads [1]> sudo cat /etc/systemd/system/docker.service.d/override.conf
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd --host=fd:// --add-runtime=nvidia=/usr/bin/nvidia-container-runtime
nirjhor@pop-os ~/Downloads>

Now when I load emby I see my intel processor but not nvidia (image attached)

Docker command I used :

sudo docker run -d --volume /home/nirjhor/emby/config:/config --volume /home/nirjhor/Videos/Movies:/media/movies  --volume /home/nirjhor/Videos/TV:/media/tv --net=host --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri --runtime=nvidia --publish 8096:8096 --publish 8920:8920 --env UID=1000 --env GID=100 --env GIDLIST=100,44,106 emby/embyserver:beta

I get the value of render and graphics by this :

nirjhor@pop-os ~/Downloads> getent group video | cut -d: -f3
nirjhor@pop-os ~/Downloads> getent group render | cut -d: -f3
nirjhor@pop-os ~/Downloads> 

Now my question is, how do I get this nvidia card to work? I took a look at linuxserver.io and I believe they expose nvidia somehow differently, which I did not understand quite well. Adding embyserver log for good measure.

Goes without saying, I have premier.

For what it's worth, in my desktop computer running arch linux I followed this exact steps and now have nvidia NVENC working. So I am even more clueless as to what I might be doing wrong. Please help.

Screenshot from 2020-08-19 22-06-35.png

Screenshot from 2020-08-19 22-06-10.png

Screenshot from 2020-08-19 22-12-23.png

embyserver.txt

ChoromPotro
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, have you taken a look at this?

I think for all intent and purposes both our processes are same except for , Should I try with this ?

--env NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all \
    --env NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=compute,utility,video \

ChoromPotro

@Luke I tried and it's exactly the same result. Here are my docker environment variables and runtime. I posted another image from my desktop where it works, it looks exactly the same. I think the problem that is happening is the command is returning intel ID instead of nvidia, I am doing this from the official instruction, so I dont know what else to do.

getent group render | cut -d: -f3

Screenshot_2020-08-20 Portainer(1).png

Screenshot_2020-08-20 Portainer.png

Screenshot_2020-08-20 Portainer.png

Edited by ChoromPotro
more image

Hardware transcoding on docker is something we only consider expiremental. It can work but will require setup on your part, so I don't have the answer right now as to what your exact issue is. 

Can you please attach the emby server and hardware detection logs? Thanks.

ChoromPotro
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hardware transcoding on docker is something we only consider expiremental. It can work but will require setup on your part, so I don't have the answer right now as to what your exact issue is. 

Can you please attach the emby server and hardware detection logs? Thanks.

i did the setup to a tee on two different machine. One picks up nvidia one picks up the built in intel , why ?

attached.

embyserver(1).txt hardware_detection-63733816919.txt

ChoromPotro
10 hours ago, Luke said:

What are the differences in setup between the two?

One is a desktop one is a laptop.

ChoromPotro
10 hours ago, Luke said:

What are the differences in setup between the two?

I shared the screenshot in the previous post :D