Cannot purchase app unlock on android TV

dmurphy22

3 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

This info is very useful and I'm pretty sure it's not in Emby's knowledgebase.

Thank you!

Hi.  Exactly what part of that do you feel isn't explained?  Any Premiere feature used by a client app is subject to the limit.  Purely server-based features are not utilized by the apps.

Is there a limit to Emby Premiere

FrankRyzzO

I am having a similar but not similar issue.  I have a home server and 3 shield tv devices.  Last night 2 of my devices started popping up a message that i need to unlock the app or buy premier, one still works fine.  I do not have premier.  The 3 devices have been working fine for local playback on my network for months and I'd never seen an option to unlock anything before, just the occasional popup asking if i want to try premier.  So I didn't even know there was an app to unlock.  What's my best option here, and any idea why I've never seen any of this before?

5 minutes ago, FrankRyzzO said:

I am having a similar but not similar issue.  I have a home server and 3 shield tv devices.  Last night 2 of my devices started popping up a message that i need to unlock the app or buy premier, one still works fine.  I do not have premier.  The 3 devices have been working fine for local playback on my network for months and I'd never seen an option to unlock anything before, just the occasional popup asking if i want to try premier.  So I didn't even know there was an app to unlock.  What's my best option here, and any idea why I've never seen any of this before?

Hi.  If you've never seen this before then something was not working correctly before.  Our Android TV app has always required either Premiere or an app unlock for playback beyond its trial.

Thanks.

horstepipe
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what part of that do you feel isn't explained?  Any Premiere feature used by a client app is subject to the limit.  Purely server-based features are not utilized by the apps.

Exactly this part - as I never read that statement before. Anyway it's still hard to distinguish in my opinion. So CoverArt is NOT subject to the limit as it is a "purely server-based" feature. What about cinema mode, guess this IS subject to the limit? There's no differentiation in your Premiere Feature Matrix between these two features...

Edited by horstepipe

dmurphy22
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you've never seen this before then something was not working correctly before.  Our Android TV app has always required either Premiere or an app unlock for playback beyond its trial.

Thanks.

I feel this is true,

I have had a few users who have been using my server for a while now just yesterday come to me with this problem.

So it seems there was an issue before where the unlock was not required, which was then fixed, which caused a lot of my users to see the premier toast for the first time. This caused confusion and they all reached out to me triggering me to look into it which caused me to find that they are not being offered the unlock dialog in order to continue being able to play content.

So now we need a way for these users to be able to give you money and purchase that unlock :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Exactly this part - as I never read that statement before. Anyway it's still hard to distinguish in my opinion. So CoverArt is NOT subject to the limit as it is a "purely server-based" feature. What about cinema mode, guess this IS subject to the limit? There's no differentiation in your Premiere Feature Matrix between these two features...

The app isn't aware that CoverArt even exists. It is just displaying images.  Cinema mode is an option within the app settings and alters the app behavior.

horstepipe
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

The app isn't aware that CoverArt even exists. It is just displaying images.  Cinema mode is an option within the app settings and alters the app behavior.

Yes if you say it this way it makes sense. But this is not as self-evident to understand as you might think 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dmurphy22 said:

I feel this is true,

I have had a few users who have been using my server for a while now just yesterday come to me with this problem.

So it seems there was an issue before where the unlock was not required, which was then fixed, which caused a lot of my users to see the premier toast for the first time. This caused confusion and they all reached out to me triggering me to look into it which caused me to find that they are not being offered the unlock dialog in order to continue being able to play content.

So now we need a way for these users to be able to give you money and purchase that unlock :)

So are we going to have the option to unlock the app today?

So I found a work around until it's fixed..if you have a iPad you can login on that get the error message and then the Pop up Will come up giving you the option to unlock. Only problem now is it only works on the iPad and not my firestick.. And help would be great @ebr I brought and unlocked the app from a iOS device but my firestick is still giving me the same error message

2 hours ago, 2Jay2 said:

So I found a work around until it's fixed..if you have a iPad you can login on that get the error message and then the Pop up Will come up giving you the option to unlock. Only problem now is it only works on the iPad and not my firestick.. And help would be great @ebr I brought and unlocked the app from a iOS device but my firestick is still giving me the same error message

Hi.  That is not a good workaround as the app unlocks are for each app.  They are managed by the individual app stores (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc.).

@2Jay2 In your situation, the proper workaround would be to connect to a non-Premiere server and then purchase the unlock.   Then you can connect back to the other server and it should work.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

That will/could be the issue in these cases then as they probably only now about the server they are connection to. 

So there currently is no way to unlock a app/client that connects to a server that is Premiere and is over their limit.  Without having the server owner purchase a higher device limit. 

So how does this get pushed back to the user to unlock their client or is this just a specific client issue?

Edited by Happy2Play

horstepipe
3 hours ago, ebr said:

You can also now try the current beta which should have an unlock option on the user menu (if appropriate).

Will this be implemented on IOS, too?

horstepipe

@ebr what about platforms where an inapp purchase is not available?

Emby Theater for Windows
Apple TV
Smart TV

Will these count to the device limit if only full playback (and coverart) is being used?

36 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

@ebr what about platforms where an inapp purchase is not available?

Emby Theater for Windows
Apple TV
Smart TV

Will these count to the device limit if only full playback (and coverart) is being used?

Yes, those count against your limit.  The device limit is there for a reason :).

horstepipe
2 hours ago, ebr said:

It is already there.

it's the same problem as on Android. If you're connected to a Premiere Server, there's no button for the purchase. Or am I blind?

horstepipe
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, those count against your limit.  The device limit is there for a reason :).

yeah but why can't the users make the purchase on those platforms? So why don't you offer this also on Windows and Apple TV as you do on Android and IOS?

Edited by horstepipe

4 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

yeah but why can't the users make the purchase on those platforms? So why don't you offer this also on Windows and Apple TV as you do on Android and IOS?

Not every platform has a marketplace for such a thing and, on the ones that do, entering those marketplaces bring with it a raft of other issues we have to consider.

Our server is designed as a personal and family media server.  For those wishing to use it for large-scale users, we provide extended license subscriptions for that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Not every platform has a marketplace for such a thing and, on the ones that do, entering those marketplaces bring with it a raft of other issues we have to consider.

Our server is designed as a personal and family media server.  For those wishing to use it for large-scale users, we provide extended license subscriptions for that.

Let's say I have 3 firesticks do I need to buy the one time unlock for each device or just one time and it unlocks for my account?

8 minutes ago, 2Jay2 said:

Let's say I have 3 firesticks do I need to buy the one time unlock for each device or just one time and it unlocks for my account?

It follows your Amazon account.  So, on the other sticks you just need to do the "Restore Unlock".

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Understood, but it will probably arrive on Apple TV some day I guess?

Boardley
On 8/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, ebr said:

It follows your Amazon account.  So, on the other sticks you just need to do the "Restore Unlock".

So I have a shield which show's on your list as free to just stream but it wants to charge me so I paid for it. Now I'm on my other shield and it's wanting me to buy the app again..this is crazy