Jump to content
speedingcheetah

Device home - "On Now" link not working right

Recommended Posts

speedingcheetah
Posted (edited)

Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro with Android TV

The home screen tool bar things. called "Channels"

I have one for Emby, "Live TV"

It only puts 3 icons there, On Now, Live TV Guide, Recordings.

The On Now does not always go to the On Now screen, say if i was in a tv series folder or else where previously, it will just load back to that page and not On Now.

Ideally, would like to the list of On Now programs be the "Channels" banner thing on the home screen, so I can just scroll through what is on now on the atv home screen, like i can with the butil in "Channels" live app, or Channels DVR software.

 

Second, but different issue of Emby on Android TV, is that when i load the Guide, the first several channels, it shows No data available, unless i scroll  left or so, then back, then it loads it. does this every time i load into the guide or scroll through it at all. Does it in the mini guide too.

 

I am using the beta Emby app btw.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
19 hours ago, speedingcheetah said:

say if i was in a tv series folder or else where previously, it will just load back to that page and not On Now

We'll have to take a look at this. Is it only that one link?  I would expect that to be the case for all three of them.  The issue being, if the app is already running (you exited it by hitting the "home" button on your remote) then it just goes back to where you were when re-opened.

19 hours ago, speedingcheetah said:

Ideally, would like to the list of On Now programs be the "Channels" banner thing on the home screen

In order to do this we would have to maintain a constant connection to your Emby server and keep it refreshing all the time.  We have chosen not to do that at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

Hi.  Can you provide exact steps to reproduce this?  I cannot make it fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you provide exact steps to reproduce this?  I cannot make it fail.

Go into any screen other than ON NOW  (like a media folder or even just the "Home" screen in Emby)

Exit to home screen of ATV  (home button, or app switch)

Click the ON NOW tile in the "Channels bar"

it just opens the Emby app back to forground last place it was open.

Guide and Recordings do force load to their respective screens

If i back out several pages, until the Exit Emby prompt and Exit that way, then the On Now tilte will launch Emby to On now page.....but whodoes that process and clicks exit to apps these days...lolz. 

 

Edited by speedingcheetah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

I've tried that process multiple times and from multiple places.  The shortcut always re-loads to "On Now" for me.  Not sure what the difference is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

I've tried that process multiple times and from multiple places.  The shortcut always re-loads to "On Now" for me.  Not sure what the difference is...

Good for you i guess, but doesn't work right for me.

Could take a video of it, but all u would see if the app oppeing to where it left as, as i described

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ebr said:

We'll have to take a look at this. Is it only that one link?  I would expect that to be the case for all three of them.  The issue being, if the app is already running (you exited it by hitting the "home" button on your remote) then it just goes back to where you were when re-opened.

In order to do this we would have to maintain a constant connection to your Emby server and keep it refreshing all the time.  We have chosen not to do that at this time.

So? Who cares? the sever is always on anyways and there to be used. That fine with me, kinda the point of having the homescreen widgets (or channels that ATV calls them vs Android) and a constant continuous connection is not needed, a set interval woudl suffice to refresh it, like every few minutes to 30 min, or trigger refresh only when user loads homescreen, so that it is not always running i the background. I think that is how Channels does it, though I am not certain. 

 

I just want to see whats on now, via the home screen. QUick and easy. Since the On Now button does not work right. I only have a few channels in EMby, as they are IPTV channels, that Channels DVR does not support. but i am more frequent into the Library in Emby than I am Live tv now these days. On now and the guide are kinda burried a few levels, so much eaiser to just see programs on the home screen widget bar thing.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

Every few minutes would be a constant connection in my view.

This is something we may look into but it has to be designed carefully because the server makes decisions based on activity (like when to sleep) etc.

Look out here for the people complaining that their Android phone is constantly connecting to their server (due to the sync process).  So, it is just something we have to consider and is the reason we haven't moved forward with it as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Every few minutes would be a constant connection in my view.

This is something we may look into but it has to be designed carefully because the server makes decisions based on activity (like when to sleep) etc.

Look out here for the people complaining that their Android phone is constantly connecting to their server (due to the sync process).  So, it is just something we have to consider and is the reason we haven't moved forward with it as of yet.

U seem to be confused. This a Android TV,   version of the app. NOT the Android Mobile app. They are 2 different apps. The ATV app does not work on a phone, i have tried, it jsut crashes.

Android TVs or streaming boxes like my Shield are plugged into power, and have no battery.

So your reason, argument of battery drain is not valid in this case for ATV use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
8 minutes ago, speedingcheetah said:

U seem to be confused. This a Android TV,   version of the app. NOT the Android Mobile app. They are 2 different apps. The ATV app does not work on a phone, i have tried, it jsut crashes.

Android TVs or streaming boxes like my Shield are plugged into power, and have no battery.

So your reason, argument of battery drain is not valid in this case for ATV use.

Hi.  I didn't mention anything about a battery.  Sorry if you interpreted it that way.

I just gave an example of a situation that does maintain a constantly refreshing connection to the server and the complaints we've gotten about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I didn't mention anything about a battery.  Sorry if you interpreted it that way.

I just gave an example of a situation that does maintain a constantly refreshing connection to the server and the complaints we've gotten about it.

U mentioned phone, again a set top box is assume to be always be on and syncs with the server...anyways, Plex and Channels DVR does it for thier live tv...dont see why folks whould have an issue with it. u can make it a toggle feature u know...

anyway, no mater, just want the on now button to work as it should. that is the main point of this thread.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

It is something we will likely look into in the future.

As for the other issue, I cannot reproduce it which makes it hard to fix.

Can you create the problem and, right after pressing the "On Now" button and ending up in the wrong place, send a log from the app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

It is something we will likely look into in the future.

As for the other issue, I cannot reproduce it which makes it hard to fix.

Can you create the problem and, right after pressing the "On Now" button and ending up in the wrong place, send a log from the app?

k. done that. but i have to back out to the Home screen in emby to get the user button to send logs. but i did the cycle of being in a screen, then go home via home button, then press On now, several times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
Posted (edited)

ok...soooo....after i reproduced the issue several times, sent the logs, i connected the Shield to my hdmi capture box, to record with OBS the issue....and it won't do it!!..

grrrrr..... 

it hasn't been working at all for weeks, until i go to capture proof if it.....  🤪

Its back connected to my monitor, and On Now is working fine atm.

sigh.....Gremlins.

i dont know what to tell u now.  just weird.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

Okay, let us know if it happens again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
speedingcheetah
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Okay, let us know if it happens again.

Well, did the logs say anything as to why it was doing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

No there was nothing of any import in the logs - but there wouldn't necessarily be.  It sounds like all that was happening was the Android system was bringing the old activity back to the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...