[Playback Error- The connection timed out] Only On Roku

skrumzy

skrumzy

This issue has just started popping up for me and I have since just ignored it as it is an inconvenience only.  This only occurs on the first run of a new video file and on the 2nd attempt it plays just fine.  According to the stats there is no transcoding occurring for the media files this is occurring on.  My Nvidia shield, the server and an additional client, plays everything just fine and so I'm sure this is a Roku specific issue.  Anybody have any ideas off the top of their head and what logs do we need to look at to determine the cause?  Thanks in advance.

skrumzy

I launch Emby on my Roku device, browse to the show I'm currently watching, attempt to play it, it sits at retrieving, eventually that error pops up and its a 50/50 chance, either it drops back to the menu or crashes out right.  From there I either get back into the app or just select the title again, it retrieves it immediately and starts streaming.  Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense. Thanks for your help.

skrumzy
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hey Luke,

This is a fresh log with debug on, but I believe it started logging when I upgraded tonight. I was unaware I was behind a release.  The error appears to be towards the bottom where the listening socket just randomly closes. I can't really make anything else out.  Let me know if you prefer debug off, I will delete the log and start over. Thanks in advance.

embyserver.txt

skrumzy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Your server is running on an Android device?

Yes, server is running on a Nvidia Shield.

Okay, I think that may be a factor here as the file is direct playing to the Roku.  However, there was also very little time between when you attempted starting playback and when you grabbed that log...

skrumzy
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, I think that may be a factor here as the file is direct playing to the Roku.  However, there was also very little time between when you attempted starting playback and when you grabbed that log...

Steps I took.

1. SSHd into the shield to delete the log

2. Turned on debug

3. Discovered I was behind a release, stopped the server, and updated

4. Launched only the Roku client and attempted to play

5. Error occurred

6. Grabbed log file

With that being said, where do I need to adjust? Do you want multiple attempts?

Do you have the ability to test a server installation on a non-Android device?

skrumzy
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Do you have the ability to test a server installation on a non-Android device?

Technically, yes.  What's the end goal though? If it's determined that something is wrong with the Nvidia package in correlation of using a Roku device as the client, does that gain us anything?

19 minutes ago, skrumzy said:

If it's determined that something is wrong with the Nvidia package in correlation of using a Roku device as the client, does that gain us anything?

Yes, it helps us isolate the problem.

Thanks.

skrumzy
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, it helps us isolate the problem.

Thanks.

Alright, I will install a server on my laptop and connect to it.

skrumzy
2 hours ago, skrumzy said:

Alright, I will install a server on my laptop and connect to it.

Installed the server on Windows 10 and ran about 3-4 episodes back to back for a few minutes each.  All started just fine and was working as advertised.  I've attached the log and streaming from the Roku begins ~1400.  Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.embyserver (1).txt

Okay, so looks like possibly some sort of either latency or other access issue from the Android system.

@softworkz any ideas?

skrumzy
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so looks like possibly some sort of either latency or other access issue from the Android system.

@softworkz any ideas?

Do keep in mind that other client devices do not experience this issue, i.e. Windows and the Shield itself.  I wish I could be of more help but without any errors outside of the Socket closing, seems it might be code level based rather than configuration or encoding.

12 hours ago, ebr said:

@softworkz any ideas?

Yes, it's the same as what is filed under softworkz issues id 393, but it seems to be an incompatibility between Emby's http server and Roku's http client implementation. @Luke

On 7/4/2020 at 2:58 AM, softworkz said:

Yes, it's the same as what is filed under softworkz issues id 393, but it seems to be an incompatibility between Emby's http server and Roku's http client implementation.

Are you sure this is the same thing?  Why would it only happen on the Android server and why would the first time fail and the second time work?  Seems like entirely different symptoms...

10 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you sure this is the same thing?  Why would it only happen on the Android server and why would the first time fail and the second time work?  Seems like entirely different symptoms...

Yes, I'm sure.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:18 PM, skrumzy said:

So just sit tight as it gets fixed?

We are looking into it.

skrumzy
On 7/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, Luke said:

We are looking into it.

@Luke, I've gone ahead and installed the server package for my ASUStor NAS.  I'm pleasantly surprised at the performance over my NVIDIA Shield.  My dual core ARM NAS with no H/W acceleration capability is actually transcoding near instantaneously and isn't suffering from my problem in this thread.  It looks like I will be retiring the server on the NVIDIA Shield and opting for my NAS instead.  Doesn't make a lot of sense on how it can outperform it but I'm not complaining.

• Like 1