New update for forum

spaceman07

Armageus

At present can't say I agree.

Whilst it looks cleaner, there's far too much whitespace everywhere, meaning very little actually fits on the screen without scrolling.

On mobile the General section is all that fits on the screen without scrolling.

On desktop even with minimum length posts, you are lucky to see 3 posts per screen without scrolling.

Whilst writing this reply, it looks like there are blank lines between individual lines of text as linespacing is set to something like 1.5.

Edited by Armageus
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback !

I have to say that as upgrades go this one is not totally horrible. There is a good deal I don't like but mostly it is things that are really cosmetic in nature and I will adapt. I have some customizations that I will have to change so the appearance will  look at least somewhat normal. There is much too much wasted space on the screen and I am not sure I can find a way to make that acceptable for viewing. I like to see as much as possible and now most of my screen is simply wasted empty space.

We will see as time goes on but for now this looks pretty horrible but it is usable, mostly.

mastrmind11

where is the filter setting so i can get rid of the forums i don't care about?

• Like 1

Sammy

I am not able to load Forum Pages using Tapatalk right now. I can see the forums and I can see the read and unread status and Tapatalk but when I click on it with my thumb all I get is a spinning gear.

Gilgamesh_48
59 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

where is the filter setting so i can get rid of the forums i don't care about?

There is a down arrow on the upper right of each forum that can hide that forum from view. It is not as clean as it was before but it does work.

mastrmind11
1 minute ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

There is a down arrow on the upper right of each forum that can hide that forum from view. It is not as clean as it was before but it does work.

doesn't appear to be permanent.  also i don't want to hide the entire forum, just certain sub forums that don't apply to me (macOS, etc)

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, mastrmind11 said:

doesn't appear to be permanent.  also i don't want to hide the entire forum, just certain sub forums that don't apply to me (macOS, etc)

It is permanent for me. There may be a setting somewhere that has to be checked. I do not see any way to hide sub forums. Sorry.

CBers
33 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I am not able to load Forum Pages using Tapatalk right now. I can see the forums and I can see the read and unread status and Tapatalk but when I click on it with my thumb all I get is a spinning gear.

It seems to be broken.

Hopefully the @Admin's can sort it out.

adrianwi

I didn't really like the old forum platform, but I can't say this is much of an improvement after just my first visit.  Perhaps it will improve with time?

When I visit the forum I'm generally looking for a couple of things:

1. Update on any threads I've started/commented/watched/etc.

2. A quick scan through the new posts since my last visit.

3. A quick way to mark everything as read

It is very bright though 😃

Edited by adrianwi

18 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

I didn't really like the old forum platform, but I can't say this is much of an improvement after just my first visit.  Perhaps it will improve with time?

When I visit the forum I'm generally looking for a couple of things:

1. Update on any threads I've started/commented/watched/etc.

2. A quick scan through the new posts since my last visit.

3. A quick way to mark everything as read

It is very bright though 😃

Pretty sure all of that is possible.  Explore the different view options right there on the forum page...

BillOatman

I like it so far.  Only complaint is the nag popup when I press 'mark as read'.  Didn't do that before, does now.

Otherwise it is fine.

Hyp3rD
2 hours ago, CBers said:

It seems to be broken.

Hopefully the @Admin's can sort it out.

2 hours ago, Sammy said:

There too.

But, great upgrade!

And how about being able to paste images and drag log files right onto your post...?  C'mon, that's a huge improvement.

• Thanks 1

jachin99

I think I prefer the look of the old forums but I really like the activity view in the new ones.  

adrianwi
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Pretty sure all of that is possible.  Explore the different view options right there on the forum page...

Yeah, I've had a bit more of a play and it does looks promising.  It's reset all of the notification settings to 'immediate' which I thought was going to be a PITA to change, but you can select them all and apply the same changes en masse.

Gilgamesh_48
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

And how about being able to paste images and drag log files right onto your post...?  C'mon, that's a huge improvement.

I mostly liked the old way. I have never had any desire to drag log files onto a post and I post images rarely as I find I do not like reading posts where there is an image inline so I do not want to subject others to that. An attached image is the better option for me as is simply attaching log files.

I find "features" such as you mention have more of the effect of being in the way of using a forum than enhancing he user experience.

I guess it is just "the way things are done now" but it is not "best" for my use. And there is still WAY too much empty wasted space on the screen.

I know it will not change back and I know I will get used to it but sometimes change seems just to be for change's sake and this change seems to fall mostly in that category.

Different does not equal better.

At least these forums are still way better that what has been done at Roku or Plex. But that is a bit like a car being better than a Gremlin.

1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

I like it so far.  Only complaint is the nag popup when I press 'mark as read'.  Didn't do that before, does now.

I believe you can still do this "popup-free" from the forum listing - click on the green convo bubble...

rechigo

Cool forum guys, now I will have no longer have to use tapatalk

Is there any way to bring back the list at the bottom showing what users are reading the topic? I don't see it anymore

Just now, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I mostly liked the old way. I have never had any desire to drag log files onto a post and I post images rarely as I find I do not like reading posts where there is an image inline so I do not want to subject others to that. An attached image is the better option for me as is simply attaching log files.

I find "features" such as you mention have more of the effect of being in the way of using a forum than enhancing he user experience.

I guess it is just "the way things are done now" but it is not "best" for my use. And there is still WAY too much empty wasted space on the screen.

I know it will not change back and I know I will get used to it but sometimes change seems just to be for change's sake and this change seems to fall mostly in that category.

Different does not equal better.

At least these forums are still way better that what has been done at Roku or Plex. But that is a bit like a car being better than a Gremlin.

You can also still attach items in an "old" way but I'm sure you will be in the minority of believing drag-drop and copy-paste is "worse" ;).

CBers

And of course, the mobile version of the forums is totally different, but having used the same layout on other IPB forums, all is good. 

Gilgamesh_48
Just now, ebr said:

You can also still attach items in an "old" way but I'm sure you will be in the minority of believing drag-drop and copy-paste is "worse" ;).

I know that but I just cannot understand why drag and drop is better. It pretty much requires that you shrink windows to get more than one on the screen and requires that you reduce reading space. It is just clumsy for me. My dog is even irritated by the increased profanity this change has produced.