Jump to content

What's the big deal about DTS on IOS?


horstepipe
 Share

Recommended Posts

vdatanet
1 minute ago, neik said:

Did I get this right that everything with DTS doesn't direct play on iOS?

Yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vdatanet
Just now, neik said:

Does it at least downmix to stereo?

No, transcoded to AC3

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

neik
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

No, transcoded to AC3

@Luke, how are people supposed to use DTS audio & graphical subs (e.g. vobsubs, pgssubs) when not even downmixing is available?
Do the restrictions (apparently some licensing issue) also apply to downmixing stuff? If not, can this be implemented please?
IMO this stereo is enough for iPhone, Apple TV is a different story though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

neik

An option like that is crucial to be able to use graphical subs otherwise it will require a lot of transcoding and burning in - which is not feasible for a lot of people, me including.
While you are at it, imo this should also be added to Emby for Android if it is needed.

Look at what ebr did with the AndroidTV app, there it is working amazingly good since the last release.
We users have the option to select:

1. Direct play everything and downmix non-compatible audio to stereo or
2. Convert non-compatible audio (e.g. DTS-HD, TrueHD) to AC3

This is exactly how all apps should look like otherwise those with graphical subs are screwed, one way or another.

So, please consider this and not only "in the future"...

Edited by neik
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vdatanet
8 minutes ago, neik said:

An option like that is crucial to be able to use graphical subs otherwise it will require a lot of transcoding and burning in - which is not feasible for a lot of people, me including.
While you are at it, imo this should also be added to Emby for Android if it is needed.

Look at what ebr did with the AndroidTV app, there it is working amazingly good since the last release.
We users have the option to select:

1. Direct play everything and downmix non-compatible audio to stereo or
2. Convert non-compatible audio (e.g. DTS-HD, TrueHD) to AC3

This is exactly how all apps should look like otherwise those with graphical subs are screwed, one way or another.

So, please consider this and not only "in the future"...

Add this option:

3. Decode everything DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD... to LPCM on supported systems like Plex and Infuse do

Remuxing HEVC content usually leads to this:

 

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
4 hours ago, vdatanet said:

3. Decode everything DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD... to LPCM on supported systems like Plex and Infuse do

Plex also does this client side?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vdatanet
1 minute ago, horstepipe said:

Plex also does this client side?

Yes, with Legacy player disabled (MPV player enabled)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, with Legacy player disabled (MPV player enabled)

okay then it's time to finally try it out I guess. Does framerate switching on tvos work there, too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

okay then it's time to finally try it out I guess. Does framerate switching on tvos work there, too?

Yes, but the truth is that since Infuse added support for Emby I stopped using Plex for good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
9 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, but the truth is that since Infuse added support for Emby I stopped using Plex for good.

may I ask why? What were your main reasons? Infuse is okay but it hasn't a chance against the emby gui.

Edited by horstepipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vdatanet
11 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

may I ask why? What were your main reasons? Infuse is okay but it hasn't a chance against the emby gui.

Because I like Emby more than Plex, and Infuse is enough to make up for the shortcomings of the Emby app for Apple TV. Also I use Emby for Android TV and the application is much better than Plex.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Just tried to play a movie with DTS on a iPhone with Emby 2.0.8 a couple of days ago and it still remuxed.
Any chance we can get a downmix to stereo capability fairly soon in order to improve direct play capabilities?

Edit:
I thought you added DTS support to MacOS in the past couple of months but I couldn't find any post about it. Was it really added or is my memory simply failing? 

Edited by neik
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, neik said:

I thought you added DTS support to MacOS in the past couple of months but I couldn't find any post about it. Was it really added or is my memory simply failing? 

Yes but you have to use the downloaded build from our website, not from the store.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes but you have to use the downloaded build from our website, not from the store.

So, you are one step further by having DTS already available in the Apple ecosystem.
Will this also make it to iOS and AppleTV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, neik said:

So, you are one step further by having DTS already available in the Apple ecosystem.
Will this also make it to iOS and AppleTV?

There's no way to sideload these apps so that depends on our ability to get it into the store. We'll see what the future holds. Hopefully we will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

horstepipe
7 hours ago, Luke said:

There's no way to sideload these apps so that depends on our ability to get it into the store. We'll see what the future holds. Hopefully we will.

On MacOS, is it downmix to stereo or real support for DTS? What about DTS-HD?

Edited by horstepipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Luke said:

There's no way to sideload these apps so that depends on our ability to get it into the store. We'll see what the future holds. Hopefully we will.

What about downmix to stereo, is this also dependent on proper DTS support or can this be implemented without it?
On the iPhones or iPads proper Dolby sound isn't that important and downmixing would allow extended direct play functionality and also better usability of graphical subs.

3 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

On MacOS, is it downmix to stereo or real support for DTS? What about DTS-HD?

IIRC it's proper DTS support but I cannot the posts anymore..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, horstepipe said:

I don’t give up to ask 🙂

is it meanwhile on the horizon downmixing dts to Stereo on iPad side?

It's something we'll continue to keep re-evaluating. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's something we'll continue to keep re-evaluating. Thanks.

So, you are basically telling all those with an iOS device to sit tight while they are not able to direct play any content with DTS which basically means no graphical subs on every iOS device (except burning them in, which is not viable for most out here).

Really, Luke? We are almost in 2022 and you can't downmix stuff to stereo on iOS?!

You guys keep playing with optical "improvements" on server/apps but this is basic technical stuff which should get way more priority IMO...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
neik
On 11/29/2021 at 6:48 AM, Luke said:

It's something we'll continue to keep re-evaluating. Thanks.

6 months later: How is the status?

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, neik said:

6 months later: How is the status?

It's the same for iOS, but if you use macOS then we have a sideload build available on our website which can direct play just about everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...