Sign in to follow this  
horstepipe

What's the big deal about DTS on IOS?

horstepipe
Posted (edited)

Hello

I was just looking again into the IOS app and it feels really nice. Libmpv does a very good job about the video, but for most of my movies I don't have audio because of the lack of DTS capability. So I cannot/do not want to transcode (not even the audio) serverside, but there shouldn't be the need of it anyway. Playing the same files within VLC on IOS works fine (video AND audio). So why is Emby not able to do the same? I'd really like to understand what reasons prevent you from a simple "downmix to stereo on the device" or whatever option. I can't imagine it's about licencing, as VLC is a free product. So what's the point?

Generally spoken, if the client is able to handle stuff, the server shouldn't be burdened with that unnecessary task imo.

Best regards and stay healthy!

Edited by horstepipe

Luke

libmpv supports it but to use it on iOS would require special licensing, so that's essentially the hold up there.

horstepipe

Thanks,

so vlc e.g. doesn't have to pay for this special licensing as it is non commercial software against to yours? Or how do they do it? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

horstepipe

Or is the key difference that your product is proprietary? I'm just curious about those backgrounds. Guess an additional in-app purchase "codec pack" isn't an option?

Luke

It's possible for the future. thanks.