Duplicate artists

ugrin

ugrin

Hi, first i must say I'm new to Emby, and so far I like it.

But, I scanned my music library with almost all options selected (for metadata etc), but I noticed I had many duplicate artists, usually one entry with photo and the rest without photo, but this is not true for all of them.

I read that others have had this same issue, and one user posted that they resolved it by removing the library, and scanning again but this time with disabled all metadata downloading options etc.

I did this, but to no avail... But the most interesting part is, it seems like the server is getting MB data anyway!? I've attached the log so you can see...

Any way to fix this?

Thanks!

p.s. Here's a screenshot JW2CX5VS_o.png

embyserver(1).txt

Edited by ugrin

Deathsquirrel

That data comes from your tags in the music files.  Use a tool like mp3tag to ensure that all the artist names are actually the same.  Be sure to check the extended tags as mp3tag doesn't show them by default in its UI and they are a common source of errors.  "Coolio", " Coolio", and "Coolio " are, for example, three different text strings that will look pretty much identical in Emby but show up three times.

ugrin

Thanks for replying.

My whole collection has been edited by me, all of the files have exact same "blueprint" in the way they are worded, and they all have a cover photo assigned which doesn't show for all the albums which is another problem.

But I haven't checked the advanced tags, i must say. I'll see if that's the problem, thanks

But, how many different ways can you write "Coolio"... 3 counting the spaces, but not many other ways. I have 10+ entries here

Edited by ugrin

ugrin

After a lot of thinking and searching I have finally found what was causing this. So in case anyone has the same problem...

In mp3Tag you can view Artist and Album artist tags by MusicBrainz, which are apparently read by Emby even though I had uninstalled the plugins. These tags were different for some files for the same artist but different albums etc.

The bad part is, I have to clean my entire collection... But, at least I found out what was causing it!

Cheers!