Any Way to transcode 4k HDR and keep HDR?

StiefelLP

StiefelLP

Hi,

is there any way to transcode 4k movies with HDR and keep the 10bit colours for HDR?

my friend is using an 65c9 oled it can play 4k movies without a problem as long as the bitrate is not higher as my upload. 

Some movies especialle with a lot of film grain exceed my upload limit by a lot.

I have a ryzen 9 3900x  without a graphicscard for transcoding so that should be enough for one 10 bit transcode (i dont know exactly if ffmpeg is able to transcode 10 bit h264 or if it needs h265, then i am willing to buy a entry level quadro card if nesessary)

At the moment i am using handbrake rf 20 on all 4k movies. If Transcoding doesnt work an is not expected to work in the near future i have to reencode some movies in lower quality.

I am using the official Emby Docker Container on an Unraid Server.

Thanks for your help.

lightsout

Emby does not currently have the ability to transcode and retain HDR. It's been talked about quite a bit and is planned eventually last I heard.

rbjtech

At the moment i am using handbrake rf 20 on all 4k movies. If Transcoding doesnt work an is not expected to work in the near future i have to reencode some movies in lower quality.

Pre re-encoding to suit the client limitations is always going to give you better results than transcoding on the fly which is always a trade off between speed and quality.

If you have the storage available, then my personal view is keep a full bitrate version for your local viewing, and a 'streaming' version which can be used without needing any further transcoding.   That way, you have only used your CPU/Power/$ once to convert the file - and you will hopefully not have to do it again each time a remote user wants to stream it.

lightsout

Pre re-encoding to suit the client limitations is always going to give you better results than transcoding on the fly which is always a trade off between speed and quality.

If you have the storage available, then my personal view is keep a full bitrate version for your local viewing, and a 'streaming' version which can be used without needing any further transcoding.   That way, you have only used your CPU/Power/$ once to convert the file - and you will hopefully not have to do it again each time a remote user wants to stream it.

It is more of a pain with HDR, most apps do not yet support tone mapping, last I checked FFmpeg did but only in the command line.

• 5 months later...

+1

nearly eny device support HDR right now. And with GPU transcode its possible to transkode on the fly e.g. 4k HDR -> 2k HDR... still waiting for the FEATURE!!

Edited by Gee1

• 2 years later...
rbjtech
On 21/09/2023 at 08:17, TDriver said:

Are there any successes to be reported here with converting MP4 to MKV and keeping HDR?

If you just want to convert an MP4 'as is' to an MKV and retain the HDR - then just use one of the many tools available to do so - makemkv or even mkvmerge should copy the HDR.

The issues arise if you wish to 'modify' the source frames(ie transcode) - then you need to extract the HDR metadata/DV first - modify the frames - and then re-apply the HDR/DV layer.    That is also possible with available tools - but it's not something that can be done without experience and knowledge and probably a lot of caveats ..

• Thanks 1