Cannot open port 8096

BobT

BAlGaInTl

Definitely sounds like it could be blocked by your ISP.

You can always reset everything to 8096 and then use this site to check

portchecktool.com

I would also try 443 if you can.  That's specific to SSL. Don't forget to set it up on your router first.

That one may be open.  If it connects.... then you can set up secure access to your server.  It's a bit more work, but you are going to want to do that anyway.

OK. Thanks. I used the portcheck utility. It says that it will notify if the port is blocked by a firewall or ISP. But the error message I get is:

PROBLEM! I could not see your service on 173.238.156.27  on port 8096. Reason connection timed out.

Is timed out different than blocked by firewall or ISP. I would think so. 

I will try 443 as you suggest but off to work now.

Two things about the ISP. I contacted them and they gave me the IP address and password. I want to sniff around and see if there is a setting that is blocking. Secondly, I have friends using Emby remote with the same ISP that I use (but they have different routers). Now I am more confused.

BAlGaInTl

You said you have friends that run Emby on the same ISP and can connect remotely?

If that's the case... it's probably still a config issue... maybe with the ISP router.  Who is the provider?  What kind of service is it?

My ISP is not being very helpful. Cannot access the modem using the IP address they provided. Told me that I need to hire a networking company. Not sure what you mean by kind of service. What I have is their top of the line--speed wise and unlimited use. Is that what you meant.

pwhodges

Whether it's a domestic or a business line would very likely affect things like port blocking.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

BAlGaInTl

My ISP is not being very helpful. Cannot access the modem using the IP address they provided. Told me that I need to hire a networking company. Not sure what you mean by kind of service. What I have is their top of the line--speed wise and unlimited use. Is that what you meant.

Do you mind sharing who the company is and what type of service?

Is it Cable? DSL? Wireless? Other?

I apologize about that. I should have figured that out. This ordeal is overloading my brain.

I am on Cogeco (Canada)  and the service I have is cable and it is UltraFibre 60 Unlimited. You can get details of that service here:  https://www.cogeco.ca/en/internet/packages

This is not very specific but....

UltraFibre 1Gig Unlimited. Enjoy our fastest, most powerful Internet ever with optimized Wi-Fi coverage everywhere in your home. Check if Cogeco service is available in your area. Internet. Packages.

BAlGaInTl

You should see if you can switch from having a router/modem combo from them, to just a dumb modem.

I had a not so pleasant conversation with the ISP today. My buddy (running Emby perfectly remotely) has his own router and the same ISP I have. I thought replacing the ISP router with one identical to his may help. The ISP flatly refused--you have to use their equipment. When I told them about my friend with his own router, the tech called me a liar and said they have never allowed that. Very annoying to say the least. Needless to say they were of no help whatsoever.

I am running out of ideas.

BAlGaInTl

Hopefully we aren't mixing up terms.  There is a difference between modem and router.  You can have them separate, or both together in a single box.

Do you have 2 "boxes" that you are trying to set all this up on?  One that the ISP owns and one that you own?  If so, does the box that the ISP owns also have "WiFi" on it?  I'm assuming that the Netgear router you eluded to earlier is owned by you, connected to a box owned by the ISP. If so, it's likely that you have a double-NAT situation, and without being able to log in to their box, you won't be able to fix it.

This statement that you gave makes me suspect that:

"most powerful Internet ever with optimized Wi-Fi coverage everywhere in your home"

You can still use their hardware, but what you want to ask for is just a modem without a router/WiFi.

They even have a FAQ for it on their page:

https://www.cogeco.ca/en/faq/can-i-use-third-party-wireless-router-cogeco-wireless-modem-50301

ETA: The two options are:

They can help you get your modem/router combo that you have now set to a bridge mode without routing

They can replace the combo unit with one that is just a modem (preferred)

Edited by BAlGaInTl

rbjtech

If you have one of these https://www.cogeco.ca/web/resources/pdf/support/user_guides/internet/Cisco%20DPC%203825.pdf routers, then I presume you have setup the Port Forwarding on Page 70 ?

ie selected the ports as start:8096 end:8096 Protocol : TCP and forward to your local Ip running your emby server - ie 192.168.0.x ?

A photo of the port forwarding config page would help, as would confirmation of the modem/router model.  ;)

Edited by rbjtech

Do you have 2 "boxes" that you are trying to set all this up on?  I own the router --Netgear WNDr4700 and the ISP owns the modem (it is just a modem not a combined unit). One that the ISP owns and one that you own?  If so, does the box that the ISP owns also have "WiFi" on it?  NO I'm assuming that the Netgear router you eluded to earlier is owned by you, connected to a box owned by the ISP. Correct.  If so, it's likely that you have a double-NAT situation, and without being able to log in to their box, you won't be able to fix it. Oh boy, that doesn't sound good

This statement that you gave makes me suspect that:

"most powerful Internet ever with optimized Wi-Fi coverage everywhere in your home" I just copied that from their website. I suppose that they are trying to influence people to rent their combined modem/router from them but that is not what I have. The modem I have is a Cisco dpc300

https://www.cnet.com/products/cisco-dpc3000-docsis-3-0-cable-modem/.

You can still use their hardware, but what you want to ask for is just a modem without a router/WiFi. I confirmed that it is just a modem. I will say the modem I have is old--probably tens years or more. It is not wireless

They even have a FAQ for it on their page:

https://www.cogeco.c...ess-modem-50301

ETA: The two options are:

They can help you get your modem/router combo that you have now set to a bridge mode without routing

They can replace the combo unit with one that is just a modem (preferred)

RBJTECH:

Modem (owned by ISP) Cisco DPC3000

Router (owned by me)  Netgear WNDR4700

pics attached of router port forwarding page and address reservation. I have no idea what the difference is.

ADDRESS RESERVATION5ec7e6ae4aff4_routeraddressreserve.jpg5ec7e6c880513_portforwardrouter.jpg

rbjtech

ok - so you have a Cisco Cable Modem > Netgear WNDR4700 router - good. 

The port forwarding looks good from what I can see.

Can you access emby fine locally with a browser from a different PC on the same network ?  ie using http://192.168.1.3:8096 from say a PC with an IP of 192.168.1.x ?

Edited by rbjtech

• I can connect to Emby using the app on my cell phone using wifi.
  • I put http://192.168.1.3:8096 into a browser on my laptop and can connect to Emby using wifi.
  • I have the Emby app on my Nvidia Shied and can connect to the Emby server on my PC with ethernet..

• I cannot connect to Emby server on my PC with the app on my cell phone (with the wifi disabled ) using 'data'.   "Connection Failure error"

pwhodges

• I cannot connect to Emby server on my PC with the app on my cell phone (with the wifi disabled ) using 'data'.   "Connection Failure error"

What address do you put into the cellphone when you try with wifi disabled?

Paul

rbjtech

lol - was going to ask exactly what Paul asked but while checking that - can I also check you have enabled remote access in emby.. ie

5ec801f21fdb0_Capture.png

Here is a screeshot of the Emby app on my cell phone.

5ec80de653bbe_Screenshot_20200522Emby.jp

When I tap on either of the desktop icons, I get an error message: Cannot connect to server

When I click on Emby connect and sign in with UN and Pass--it takes me back to the screenshot above.

Don't see an opportunity to login in with other credentials

ALLOW REMOTE ACCESS BOX CHECKED ON SERVER

rbjtech

Forget Emby connect for the moment...

In a browser on your PC, find out your ISP internet IP (WAN IP) - type 'what's my IP' in google

On the phone turn off wifi 

On the phone in a browser - enter http:\\a.b.c.d:8096 where a.b.c.d is the internet IP address you found out above

So if your WAN IP was 10.20.30.40 - you would type in http://10.20.30.40:8096

What does that do ?

pwhodges

And what address is hidden behing those "DESKTOP" icons?  If those same icons work on the wifi it is presumably 192.168.x.y:8096 which of course won't work externally.  Either you need extra icons using your external address for using when not on wifi, or if your router will loop back ("hairpin") you may be able to use the external address on wifi as well (that's the way my own system works, and it means I can go in and out of wifi range and my music keeps right on playing :) ).

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

n a browser on your PC, find out your ISP internet IP (WAN IP) - type 'what's my IP' in google   DONE

On the phone turn off wifi   done 

On the phone in a browser - enter http:\\a.b.c.d:8096 where a.b.c.d is the internet IP address you found out above

So if your WAN IP was 10.20.30.40 - you would type in http://10.20.30.40:8096   DID IT

RESULT      ERROR: this site can't be reached

By the way,  the result from "what's my Ip address" is the same IP address in my Emby server dashboard WAN remote

Cefn Canol

Check your "network profile" is set tp "private" NOT "public"   on your server windows pc

IF ITS PUBLIC IT WILL BE BLOCKED FROM OUTSIDE YOUR LAN!

(had the same problem took me weeks to sort it out)

Edited by Cefn Canol

rbjtech

Check your "network profile" is set tp "private" NOT "public"   on your server windows pc

IF ITS PUBLIC IT WILL BE BLOCKED FROM OUTSIDE YOUR LAN!

(had the same problem took me weeks to sort it out)

I'm pretty sure Emby creates an incoming rule for All profiles when it is installed - so this should not make any difference but definitely worth checking I agree.

Temporarily turn off the firewall (on all profiles) to ultimately test if this is the problem.

@@BobT - If you want to ping me your WAN IP via PM - I'll do some more investigation.