Cannot open port 8096

BobT

Folks:

I have installed Emby Premiere. It is working perfectly on my desktop, ethernet connected to my Nvidia Shield, and by wifi on my cell phone. But I cannot connect remotely. I have followed the connectivity instructions by Emby. For purposes of testing I have turned off my VPN and Anti Virus (actually uninstalled them). Made sure 8096 was open in Windows firewall. I have accessed the router (Netgear Wndr4700), used the advanced settings and created port forwarding 8096 to  the LAN address identified in the Emby dashboard as the internal IP address.  The router is set to acquire dynamically the IP address from the ISP (as opposed to a static setup). The TCP/IPV4 is also set to automatic. Using the various utilities that are available online, they all come back "PORT IS CLOSED". 

It is obvious that I will have no success until I find a configuration that will open the port. 

Can anyone help with this my setup.

Thanks in advance to all that respond.

B

Following instructions on Emby connectivity:

In network connections

• Setup up of emby servier complete, signed on for Emby premiere
  • Emby working on desktop, shield, cell phone using Emby app--success
  • Tried test by using web browser and entering local address manually--failed, cannot connect manually using LAN address from dashboard (no http or port number just the 192..... address
  • Open TCP port 8096 in Windows firewall--success
  • Run anti virus scan--success, clean

External Connections

• Noted external address in dashboard
  • Tested external address away from home network--failed

Setup port forwarding

• Opened web interface on router (Netgear WNDR4700)
  • Created port forward 8096, externa/internal start/end all 8096
  • For internal IP in port forwarding setup--used address for LAN from Emby dashboard
  • Applied port forwarding rule in router
  • made no changes to ports in windows other than the windows firewall

Verify Public Port

• opened 'canyouseeme.org'
  • used 8096 in 'port to check'
  • Failed-ERROR: I could not see your service on XXX.XXX.XXX.XX on port 8096
  • XXX.XXX.XXX.XX =  WAN address from Dashboard

BAlGaInTl
  • Tried test by using web browser and entering local address manually--failed, cannot connect manually using LAN address from dashboard (no http or port number just the 192..... address

You would need to include the port number here. I suspect it would work then. You do that by entering something like the following in your browser:

http://192.168.1.2:8096

Where that IP is the IP of your server.

External Connections

• Noted external address in dashboard
  • Tested external address away from home network--failed
Setup port forwarding
  • Opened web interface on router (Netgear WNDR4700)
  • Created port forward 8096, externa/internal start/end all 8096
  • For internal IP in port forwarding setup--used address for LAN from Emby dashboard
  • Applied port forwarding rule in router
  • made no changes to ports in windows other than the windows firewall
Verify Public Port
  • opened 'canyouseeme.org'
  • used 8096 in 'port to check'
  • Failed-ERROR: I could not see your service on XXX.XXX.XXX.XX on port 8096
  • XXX.XXX.XXX.XX =  WAN address from Dashboard

This seems to be indicating that the port isn't properly forwarded, or the WAN address is wrong.

I could confirm that the WAN IP is correct by going to google and searching for "What's my IP address". If that's correct, then either your port isn't forwarded properly at the router, or your ISP is blocking it.

ETA: Maybe you could post a screenshot of your port forwarding on your router for review.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Tried test by using web browser and entering local address manually--failed, cannot connect manually using LAN address from dashboard (no http or port number just the 192..... address---FIXED, THANK YOU BAIGAINTI

Verfied WAN address by using "What's my IP Address"--WAN address in EMBY dashboard is correct 

Here is a screenshot of the port forwarding in the router

# Service Name External Start Port External End Port Internal Start Port Internal End Port Internal IP address 1 EMBY 8096 8096 8096 8096 192.168.1.3

I found detailed instructions online of how to port forward my specific router. Those instructions start by saying you have to setup a static IP address and include a link as to how to create a static IP address (as opposed to dynamic) for the NETGEAR WNDR4700. This confuses me as no where in EMBY instructions does it say you need a static IP address and all my friends that use EMBY do not use a static address. So I am not sure how to proceed as this changes everything. It is clear that until the port is open in 'canyouseeme', remote access is not possible. Suggestions, ideas??   

BAlGaInTl

I found detailed instructions online of how to port forward my specific router. Those instructions start by saying you have to setup a static IP address and include a link as to how to create a static IP address (as opposed to dynamic) for the NETGEAR WNDR4700. This confuses me as no where in EMBY instructions does it say you need a static IP address and all my friends that use EMBY do not use a static address. So I am not sure how to proceed as this changes everything. It is clear that until the port is open in 'canyouseeme', remote access is not possible. Suggestions, ideas??

A static IP address is not an Emby feature. That will be done on your router as well. There should be a place to do that. Sometimes it's called Static IP, DHCP Reservation, etc.

You should be able to find instructions for your particular router as well. Sounds like your router may be requiring this to forward ports. You should be able to set it to the same IP your server computer has now. That way, even if that computer is rebooted, it always gets the same IP address.

Thanks. My (limited) understanding is that there are 2 areas to change to a static address--desktop computer hosting the emby server (TCP/IPv4 protocol) and the router. I assume that the router is the one that has to change. I will experiment with the router but admit that I am concerned about screwing everything up. I will reread the instructions I have to change to static in the router. I just don't know how that interfaces with the PC and Emby. Will post results later.

mastrmind11

Thanks. My (limited) understanding is that there are 2 areas to change to a static address--desktop computer hosting the emby server (TCP/IPv4 protocol) and the router. I assume that the router is the one that has to change. I will experiment with the router but admit that I am concerned about screwing everything up. I will reread the instructions I have to change to static in the router. I just don't know how that interfaces with the PC and Emby. Will post results later.

Setting a static IP address for a server is generally just good practice since if it's not static then, you guessed it, the IP *can* change, which would in turn break your port forwarding.  On modern equipment it's not necessarily a requirement since most modern routers keep a mac address table and assign that mac address the same IP whenever it connects to the router.  But it *can* change if the device is left off for an extended period of time and the DHCP lease expires.  Anyway, whatever your emby server LAN IP address is is what you'll forward the ports to in your router.  

Now since we're talking about remote access, your WAN IP (the one given to you by your ISP) *will* change on a semi regular basis, sometimes even when you lose power and your modem has to phone home again.  For this you won't be able to get a static IP unless you fork out some cash to your ISP monthly.  You can get around this by using a dynamic dns service, and setting your router up to update the ddns whenever it notices an IP change.  This way instead of using the IP directly to connect remotely, you'd use the ddns domain name (eg, something like emby.ddns.com).  

Edited by mastrmind11

BAlGaInTl

Here are the specific instructions for your router, copied and pasted:

Address Reservation When you specify a reserved IP address for a computer on the LAN, that computer always receives the same IP address each time it accesses the router’s DHCP server. Reserved IP addresses should be assigned to computers or servers that require permanent IP settings. 

To reserve an IP address:

1. In the Address Reservation section of the screen, click the Add button.

2. In the IP Address field, type the IP address to assign to the computer or server. (Choose an IP address from the router’s LAN subnet, such as 192.168.1.x.)

3. Type the MAC address of the computer or server. Tip: If the computer is already on your network, you can copy its MAC address from the Attached Devices screen and paste it here.

4. Click Apply to enter the reserved address into the table.

The reserved address is not assigned until the next time the computer contacts the router’s DHCP server. Reboot the computer, or access its IP configuration and force a DHCP release and renew. To edit or delete a reserved address entry, select the radio button next to the reserved address you want to edit or delete. Then click Edit or Delete.

BAlGaInTl

Thank you Mastrmind and BAIGalnTI.

I previously found these instructions:   https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

Note that those instructions have nothing to do with the router. That confuses me. I talked to my ISP about a static address some time ago and they will not supply or even sell to a residential user

Yeah... you don't really want to follow those instructions.

Doing a reservation at your router has the same effect, and is less problematic.

You won't be able to get a static IP from most ISP unless you have a business account.  There are ways around that though, and we can help with that as well.  You can get your own domain name, or use a free service.  That would be the next step once you get your port forwarding working.  If you want more information on that, you can search for Dynamic DNS or DDNS.

In the instructions to create a reservation, it says to enter an IP address from the router's LAN subnet. I assume in our case, we want to use the LAN IP address from the Emby dashboard. Correct? 

BAlGaInTl

In the instructions to create a reservation, it says to enter an IP address from the router's LAN subnet. I assume in our case, we want to use the LAN IP address from the Emby dashboard. Correct? 

Yes.  If it will let you use that IP address, then use it.

Then, that computer will always get that IP address because it's "reserved."

rbjtech

You may not be able to just choose 'any' IP from that subnet - you may have to avoid the existing DHCP range (listed on the router) or it will complain.  Some routers allow this, others don't.  

BAlGaInTl

You may not be able to just choose 'any' IP from that subnet - you may have to avoid the existing DHCP range (listed on the router) or it will complain.  Some routers allow this, others don't.  

Yeah... that's why I say "if" it will let you.

Personally, I set my DHCP to 101-255 typically so that I can use 2-100 for my static reservations.  Even though that's way more than I need.

GRRRRRRR!   Followed the instructions and reserved the IP address for the PC where the Emby server lives. Copied and pasted the MAC address and actual name for the PC.Click apply. Pretty straight forward. Rebooted PC and router. Port 8096 is still closed. Ideas.

Happy2Play

There have been reports for of default Emby ports not working on some networks, have you tried different ports?  You would need to ensure firewall and port forwarding were reconfigured.

I don't think the problem is with Emby at this point. I cannot open the port on the router and/or PC. As long as the port is closed, no connection is possible. At least that is my understanding.

BAlGaInTl

I don't think the problem is with Emby at this point. I cannot open the port on the router and/or PC. As long as the port is closed, no connection is possible. At least that is my understanding.

It's quite possible that your ISP is blocking it.

You can try a higher port and see if that works.  It doesn't have to be 8096.  For instance.... you could throw a 3 in front of it and try 38096.  I just made that up.

OK, thanks. I will give that a try and report back some time today. I am now of the view that I may be behind a NAT firewall either by the ISP  (as you suggest) or my router. Presently I am trying to determine which it is. If it is the ISP, I am not sure there is a workaround. 

BAIGalnTI:  To change the ports for Emby, do I have to change both the 8096 and 8920 to 38096 and then 38920. Then I port forward those ports in my router and allow in the windows firewall. Does all that sound correct?

BAlGaInTl

BAIGalnTI:  To change the ports for Emby, do I have to change both the 8096 and 8920 to 38096 and then 38920. Then I port forward those ports in my router and allow in the windows firewall. Does all that sound correct?

Well for now, your really only trying to pass one port... you can just use the 8096 one for testing.

You really only need to change it on your router.

Set the external port to 38096, but forward that on your router to your server IP (local) port 8096.  Then you don't have to change anything in Emby.  If your router doesn't allow that... you will also have to change emby to 38096.

Once that's done you will connect locally by going to http://local.ip:8096

To test to see if that remote port works, you would try to connect (or use canyouseeme.org) to http://wan.ip:38096

In theory, the traffic would look like this

WAN IP port 38096 --> Router port 38096 --> Local Server IP port 8096

I'm pretty confident your router is probably working.  I don't know if you can test that internally... you might try going to http://router.ip:38096 to see if it launches Emby.  I'm not sure if that works or not.  I've never tried it.

Nope. Made the changes you suggested, port is still closed. Port forwarded to 38096, Added rule in windows firewall. Used canyouseeme utility and port is still closed. Also cannot connect on other links you suggested. Crazy.