Play Live TV Show right from Guide

shdwkeeper

Tester

My 2 cents from my own experience on a shield TV.

This function alone is keeping me from using Live TV since we mainly use the Guide to tune to different shows.  We find having to press play is annoying when my finger is already over the navigation keys which include the select button in the middle.  Most guides I have ever used simply use the Select/Ok button to select what is highlighted.

How all other functions are selected is not as big of an issue for us as having to quickly select the channel I want to see.

Edited by Tester

For those that don't like using the play button you might be able to use Button Mapper (app) to make a long press play if that would help.  I've not tried it but if you don't like moving off the select button this may work.  I haven't tried it as I just use the play/pause button since it's already there.

arrbee99

I wouldn't want to go to a TV guide item and then have it play when I click the centre button. I want to go to any further info and/or to recording settings.

Its really annoying having it tune - wait - play a channel when you don't want it to and then having to get out of it.

Long press sounds like a good idea though.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, Tester said:

My 2 cents from my own experience on a shield TV.

This function alone is keeping me from using Live TV since we mainly use the Guide to tune to different shows.  We find having to press play is annoying when my finger is already over the navigation keys which include the select button in the middle.  Most guides I have ever used simply use the Select/Ok button to select what is highlighted.

How all other functions are selected is not as big of an issue for us as having to quickly select the channel I want to see.

Hi.  Another press of the OK button will tune to the channel right away so you don't have to move your finger if you don't want to.

For me, a double press is better than a long press because you're never really sure exactly how long you have to hold the button for a long-press.

1 minute ago, Tester said:

Then single press to tune and double press for info

You can't do that because you would have already tuned it and tuning isn't always instant.

Tester

Yep good point.  

I am trying to find a Live Channel alternative and was hoping this was the answer but there are many things that I find issue with (personal choices and desires).  Maybe I will start a new chat with my feedback.  As far as actual function I found no issues.

• 4 months later...
eeeeeesy

i too would like to be able to press the ok button and be taken directly into my show or movie while watching Live TV. please can you guys remove the play prompt and just allow it to open the channel directly?

eeeeeesy

also, when i click the play button on the remote i get this playback error apon strart up. but if i click the ok button and select play from the prompt the channel plays. ulitmatelly i would just like to use the ok button just like every other app allows us to do, so the option to enable or disable the play prompt would be easy to add just like you have done with allowing us to disable the recording prompt which is perfect since i dont want to use up space with recordings.

or at the very least please swap the buttons so that the play button on the remote opens the info or the play prompt, while the ok button should go directly into the show.

emby2.jpg

Edited by eeeeeesy

15 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

also, when i click the play button on the remote i get this playback error apon strart up. but if i click the ok button and select play from the prompt the channel plays. ulitmatelly i would just like to use the ok button just like every other app allows us to do, so the option to enable or disable the play prompt would be easy to add just like you have done with allowing us to disable the recording prompt which is perfect since i dont want to use up space with recordings.

or at the very least please swap the buttons so that the play button on the remote opens the info or the play prompt, while the ok button should go directly into the show.

emby2.jpg

HI, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to play that way? Thanks.

eeeeeesy
2 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to play that way? Thanks.

i figured out the problem with the error. it happens on emby for android if i use the play button on the remote to click the video or show to play. clicking the channel logo using the play button on the remote does play the video or show.

then i switched to emby for android tv which plays fine when i click the play button on the remote on the video or show. 

i dont know how to get logs but im already setup with emby for android tv so it will be a pain to uninstall and switch back to emby for android to recreate the issue and get you logs.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, eeeeeesy said:

i figured out the problem with the error. it happens on emby for android if i use the play button on the remote to click the video or show to play. clicking the channel logo using the play button on the remote does play the video or show.

then i switched to emby for android tv which plays fine when i click the play button on the remote on the video or show. 

i dont know how to get logs but im already setup with emby for android tv so it will be a pain to uninstall and switch back to emby for android to recreate the issue and get you logs.

@eeeeeesy are you still seeing this with Emby for Android 3.2.32?