Play Live TV Show right from Guide

shdwkeeper

shdwkeeper

Is there a way to configure the guide to play the show directly from the guide without a popup screen asking you to hit play?  Seems like an unnecessary step, if I see the show i want to play on the guide I should click it and its starts playing, instead an additional screen asking you to hit play.  If I want to know more about the show I should hit an info button or something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

kanipek

You can do this by using the play button on your remote or your keyboard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

shdwkeeper

How about an ipad or mobile device?  Just clicking the show on the guide doesn't work than huh?  You have to select it an hit play button on fire or shield remote?

Edited by shdwkeeper

kanipek

I can't speak to apple devices. But on my Android phones/tablets it is as you describe - touch the EPG program then select Play in the

pop-up window. As far as using a remote or keyboard yes scrolling to the EPG program I would like to watch using the remote/keyboard

then hitting the Play button to begin play using the web app, Fire TV and the Android TV app.

rechigo

IMO right clicking a cell in the guide should give you a context menu containing the options you'd see if you brought up the dialog by left clicking

Sent from my Galaxy S10

shdwkeeper

I want to use my remote on the shield and just click on the program in the guide and have it start playing the live tv program. As of now I have to find the play button and press that, why can we make it so the main button launches the show.

arrbee99

I want to use my remote on the shield and just click on the program in the guide and have it start playing the live tv program. As of now I have to find the play button and press that, why can we make it so the main button launches the show.

I would politely beg to differ. I reckon its best for it to take you to the details screen. I'm not near my Shield at the moment, but I think if you go to the programs detail page the default from there is Play anyway. Also its consistent, you go to the details screen for other not currently playing programs so this should be the same. In Theater it used to do what you would like, and to me it was quite annoying, starting stuff I didn't want. And the details screen is just that, a chance to look at details so you can decide whether to bother or not.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

because we want options like being able to see the program description or set a recording. If you want to play hit play

shdwkeeper

I would politely beg to differ. I reckon its best for it to take you to the details screen. I'm not near my Shield at the moment, but I think if you go to the programs detail page the default from there is Play anyway. Also its consistent, you go to the details screen for other not currently playing programs so this should be the same. In Theater it used to do what you would like, and to me it was quite annoying, starting stuff I didn't want. And the details screen is just that, a chance to look at details so you can decide whether to bother or not.

I'm just used to Directv, highlight ABC hit select and it plays, if I want info, I select info. When using my Vizio remote with my Shield I can type in the channel number and it takes me to the channel in the guide, but the remote doesn't have a seperate play button, its a combo Select/Play/Pause button. Anyway it would be a great option that you can turn on and off. Channels DVR plays right away, when you long press on the select button than your options come up to select record or season pass, etc, and the show plays in 2-3 secs. No way can I get Emby to play that fast.

Edited by shdwkeeper

shdwkeeper

because we want options like being able to see the program description or set a recording. If you want to play hit play

That's what the long press on the button is for to bring up the options.

Edited by shdwkeeper

Spaceboy

That's what the long press on the button is for to bring up the options.

how slow is your device? I can double click ok in less than 0.5s and have the stream playing immediately. It’s one very quick additional ok. But I also have a play button

shdwkeeper

how slow is your device? I can double click ok in less than 0.5s and have the stream playing immediately. It’s one very quick additional ok. But I also have a play button

I have emby server installed on a Qnap TVS-662n and I'm running the client on a Shield. Its decent equipment. Stream definitely doesn't play immediately, emby and plex take longer to play than Channels DVR.

arrbee99

I know you mentioned in another thread (where sub3 replied) your tv stuff starts quick, but you're talking about from your server (using a plugin I think ) to a Shield ? Thats impressive. Is that with a tuner or iptv ?

arrbee99

Just found out Play on the (older) Shield remote is double tap on the volume slider

shdwkeeper

I know you mentioned in another thread (where sub3 replied) your tv stuff starts quick, but you're talking about from your server (using a plugin I think ) to a Shield ? Thats impressive. Is that with a tuner or iptv ?

I highly doubt his shows are playing in .5secs

Spaceboy

I highly doubt his shows are playing in .5secs

the 0.5s was to double tap ok.

shdwkeeper

the 0.5s was to double tap ok.

You said your stream is playing immediately, mine buffers for a few seconds than starts playing, much slower than Channels, but about the same time as Plex.

Spaceboy

You said your stream is playing immediately, mine buffers for a few seconds than starts playing, much slower than Channels, but about the same time as Plex.

as I say the 0.5s was in reference to pressing ok twice and getting the buffering started, if you want to call it that. Depending on what your stream is I’d say they do start immediately. For iptv channels for example, it would be too quick to time. Less than a second

My live TV also starts in under a second but this depends on if ffmpeg has to be involved at all.  In my case, it usually doesn't.

Pkanarki

My livetv ip streams used to take 3-5 seconds before they started.

But when i got new router they start almost instantly, less than a second.

So in my case I am sure the router was to blame, it was a old cheap tp link with custom ddwrt firmware.

The new router is linksys wrt1200ac also with ddwrt firmware.

shdwkeeper

Actually when I have the setting on Direct stream Live TV is plays much faster. But we want to be able to pause Live TV so we disable that. So it takes longer to get the playback going, is that what everyone else is experiencing also?

kanipek

Actually when I have the setting on Direct stream Live TV is plays much faster. But we want to be able to pause Live TV so we disable that. So it takes longer to get the playback going, is that what everyone else is experiencing also?

That is typical in my experience

Spaceboy

absolutely, but I take the opposite approach. I always direct play and flip to transcoding on the rare occasions I want to pause

• 7 months later...

Hello,
I have Xiaomi Mi Tv Box S which does not have play button on remote at all.
And this play/record popup really annoys me.
If there could be setting for this in the app, it would be really great...

• Agree 1