Suddenly have to re-add server and login every time I start Emby

Whiskeyjack
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Grashopr
On 3/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  In that same screen shot on  your machine, the network is also set to "Private network"?  That is critical as most things will be blocked on a public network.  I have seen Windows updates switch that setting in the past...

10 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok, The picture that you were referring to was not a screen shot of my PC, that was an example photo that Happy2Play posted.  My network is public, and AFAIK, has been since the beginning.

@Luke@ebr

Thank you for getting in on this. 

image.png.87c00e1c1005e1701f68ae767e13511e.png

7 hours ago, Grashopr said:

My network is public

That is a problem.  Change that setting to "Private Network".  It is, in fact, your own network in  your house, correct?

Grashopr
4 hours ago, ebr said:

That is a problem.  Change that setting to "Private Network".  It is, in fact, your own network in  your house, correct?

Yes

Grashopr
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Changed to Private, tried with firewall on and off, connection timeout.  Attempted to connect direct to LAN address...   connection timeout.  Attempted to connect to WAN address.. same thing. 

Grashopr
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Does your Emby Server dashboard display the correct local and remote addresses?

@Luke Do you mean on the Roku Emby app?  When I go in, it discovers the computer's network name and displays it as a network that is available.  However it times out when I attempt to connect 'normally'.  When I attempt to 'manually' log in (using the local or remote address in the Emby Server's settings page), it still gets timeout before getting all the way in. 

1 hour ago, Grashopr said:

using the local or remote address in the Emby Server's settings page

Have you confirmed these addresses are correct for your server machine?

Grashopr
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Have you confirmed these addresses are correct for your server machine?

@Luke I've attempted to manually enter the addresses to 'manually connect'.  I'm not sure how to see the server address of the identified computer until I can get it to log in fully.  When I see the screen, it just has the PC's network name.  No 'edit'. 

The PC name comes up and it says 'Please sign in' or 'select manually log in if your username is not shown'... but while the progress circle is going, trying to bring up the user names, it then fails out with a pop-up box that says 'There was an error processing the request.  Please try again later.' with a subtext of 'Timeout waiting for a response from the server'. 

Grashopr
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Does your Emby Server dashboard display the correct local and remote addresses?

If you mean in the settings area of the server... I'm not sure what you mean by 'correct' address.  The address listed there is is shown here: 

image.png.0c370c9aa644688a8b64bfac5d65cb23.png

For some reason, on the server PC this morning, I clicked on the LAN address and it took me into Emby... however, it took a LONG TIME to get to the home screen.  Over 3 minutes.  And that is on the same PC that the server is running on. 

When I click into the Emby Server, it goes into an LMLicenses.wip4.adobe.com communication for some reason for about a minute..  then that connection dies out.  However, I'm constantly connected to 239.255.255.250. Why Emby would be connecting to an adobe server is beyond me.. 

image.thumb.png.c927a3df3caac9111d55acc8bdac0ce0.png

I'm getting no hard fault spikes on startup or update.. 

image.thumb.png.b747a09b2c04600aa41a8613fc8d8c44.png

My router for some reason keeps maintaining a connection.. I assume that is one of the ROKU's attempting to wake the server. 

image.thumb.png.466105389a31ed0e60ced8327946fc77.png

Any other ideas?

Grashopr

And it’s been doing this for 5 minutes so far on the ROKU:  

6493D498-02C4-4438-BEAB-C1E399C71518.jpeg

Edited by Grashopr

14 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

LMLicenses.wip4.adobe.com

Have you ever attempted to modify your network hosts file in order to bypass license checks for Adobe products?

Do you have any Adobe products installed?

Emby is not making this query but something on your network looks like it is directing there for some reason.

Grashopr
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you ever attempted to modify your network hosts file in order to bypass license checks for Adobe products?

Do you have any Adobe products installed?

Emby is not making this query but something on your network looks like it is directing there for some reason.

Yes, I have a modified host file to bypass the Adobe License Check on a REALLY old version of an Adobe product that they no longer maintain.  However, why it's being accessed by Emby is beyond me (and that file has been changed for years.. nothing was changed in the last 6/7/8 days (can't even remember how long this has been down now). 

1 hour ago, Grashopr said:

Yes, I have a modified host file to bypass the Adobe License Check on a REALLY old version of an Adobe product that they no longer maintain.  However, why it's being accessed by Emby is beyond me (and that file has been changed for years.. nothing was changed in the last 6/7/8 days (can't even remember how long this has been down now). 

My guess is that something in your modified hosts file is colliding with the IP address of your Emby Server.  If you eliminate that modified hosts file, does Emby connectivity work?

Grashopr
3 hours ago, ebr said:

My guess is that something in your modified hosts file is colliding with the IP address of your Emby Server.  If you eliminate that modified hosts file, does Emby connectivity work?

Can't imagine why 127.0.0.1 would be interfering with Emby...   This is my entire hosts file..  

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost

# Adobe Blocker 3/5/20

127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com

However, to be thorough, I silenced the only two lines in the hosts file, and attempted to connect again.   Same problem... timeout on response from the server.   

Besides what ebr asked, what happens if you open a browser on the Emby Server and use this URL http:\\localhost:8096

Does it instantly connect with that URL?
From a quick read it sounds like you made some changes to network menu.  I would undue these setting.  You should have have anything filled in for domain, IP address or lan address fields.  If Emby Server is picking up the wrong IPs we need to figure out why. With any manual settings it might mask the problem.

You just posted a message right before I hit reply button.  These two message of course will interfere

You're telling the PC that it's address is in the adobe.com domain space.  So when Emby reads in the network info it's getting the criss-crossed information.

Instead of using the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1 try changing it to your router's IP likely 192.168.0.1 and see if that still works for your old product as well as for Emby.

27 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

Can't imagine why 127.0.0.1 would be interfering with Emby

Because 127.0.0.1 is supposed to be localhost...

Carlo beat me to it.

• Haha 1

Grashopr
22 hours ago, cayars said:

Besides what ebr asked, what happens if you open a browser on the Emby Server and use this URL http:\\localhost:8096

From a quick read it sounds like you made some changes to network menu.  I would undue these setting.  You should have have anything filled in for domain, IP address or lan address fields.  If Emby Server is picking up the wrong IPs we need to figure out why. With any manual settings it might mask the problem.

You just posted a message right before I hit reply button.  These two message of course will interfere

You're telling the PC that it's address is in the adobe.com domain space.  So when Emby reads in the network info it's getting the criss-crossed information.

Instead of using the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1 try changing it to your router's IP likely 192.168.0.1 and see if that still works for your old product as well as for Emby.

If I go to localhost:8096 on the pc the server is on, it instantly goes to my Emby Home Page.  

The 127.0.0.1 addresses in the host file have been there for 2 years.. Emby worked fine with them in there.. however, as I said yesterday;  for testing purposes, I've removed them and posted up photos that the same problem with the Roku Emby apps are continuing;  no response from server.  I have attempted to reach the Emby server using my Iphone on both LAN and WAN addresses.. it also times out. 

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost
# Adobe Blocker 3/5/20
# 127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
# 127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com

Grashopr
22 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm not sure what changes to the network menu you're referring to.  Everything I've changed for testing I've changed back to how it was working a week ago.  If you have a list of how the network settings need to be defaulted for Emby to connect on the local network;  I could sure use them.   The only changes I've made so far that are still enabled have been the rules additions that are recommended on the Emby Connectivity Diagnosing page.  

Grashopr
22 hours ago, ebr said:

Because 127.0.0.1 is supposed to be localhost...

Carlo beat me to it.

I completely understand that.. however..  that blocker on the hosts file has been on there for 2 years while Emby has been working correctly.   That being said.. I commented out the blocker 2 days ago and have the same issues with the emby server timing out on anything that connects to it across my network.   At this point, the hosts file modification is no longer affecting anything.