Suddenly have to re-add server and login every time I start Emby

Whiskeyjack
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

4 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

Timeout after a few minutes. 

Okay, then that further confirms that you have a basic network connectivity issue here.  It isn't specific to the Roku or even Emby potentially.  It appears that no other device on your network can reach the server machine and that usually either means a firewall is blocking it OR the address isn't actually reachable for some other reason (incorrect or on a different network).

Grashopr
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Okay, then that further confirms that you have a basic network connectivity issue here.  It isn't specific to the Roku or even Emby potentially.  It appears that no other device on your network can reach the server machine and that usually either means a firewall is blocking it OR the address isn't actually reachable for some other reason (incorrect or on a different network).

Awesome... however I still have no idea how to diagnose the 'basic network connectivity issue', as nothing has changed on my system in a year and a half.  I've followed the connectivity troubleshooting page, and there is still no connection.  

Happy2Play

There is no way Windows 11 has not made changes in a year and a half as mine has updates a minimum weekly.

If devices within your LAN are unable to connect to your Emby Server, that usually means there is a Firewall issue on the machine hosting Emby.

Have you restarted the machine?

Have you tried removing all currently created firewall rules for Emby?  Then there is a switch in Emby system.xml "IsPortAuthorized" you change to false to reauthorize.  Restart Emby

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml

Grashopr
21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

There is no way Windows 11 has not made changes in a year and a half as mine has updates a minimum weekly.

If devices within your LAN are unable to connect to your Emby Server, that usually means there is a Firewall issue on the machine hosting Emby.

Have you restarted the machine?

Have you tried removing all currently created firewall rules for Emby?  Then there is a switch in Emby system.xml "IsPortAuthorized" you change to false to reauthorize.  Restart Emby

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml

Six days ago now, every device on the LAN could connect to the Emby Server.  -Yes.. I deactivated the firewall completely, no change.  Then re-enabled the firewall, and followed the Emby connection troubleshooting directions HERE.  No change.  Yes, I have turned the server machine off and back on multiple times.  I have restarted the EmbyServer multiple times manually.  The Server works accessing it from the host server, but connection timeout on any server over LAN.  If Windows 11 is making LAN changes on your machine 'at a minimum weekly', can you point me in the direction of what changes were made to yours?  Because so far I cannot find any changes that were made on my machine that would impact the Emby Server connectivity (and ONLY the Emby server) over LAN.  

Attempted to force the re-authorizing of the EmbyServer again by changing IsPortAuthorized (which I had found you recommended HERE in 2017) and had attempted it before, but tried again.  Still no change.  Connection timeout on connecting to the server.  

Including logs. 

image.png

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

But an issue here is nothing in Emby has changed in over 3 Months for this version.  But something environmental to your system has changed.  All we can do is guess on what that could be, but if no other system can connect to Emby host then I would say there is a firewall issue.

What do you get with the command in this topic?

pwhodges

Another possibility is that the address of the server has changed, and you're still using the old one.  This can happen if for some reason the DHCP lease runs out and a new address is supplied for a new lease; it doesn't have to be a change in the software or anything like that.  

You can see on the Emby dashboard what Emby thinks the address of the machine is, or you can type "ipconfig" on a command line on the server to see the address there.

Paul

• Agree 1

Grashopr
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But an issue here is nothing in Emby has changed in over 3 Months for this version.  But something environmental to your system has changed.  All we can do is guess on what that could be, but if no other system can connect to Emby host then I would say there is a firewall issue.

What do you get with the command in this topic?

image.png.06dd48a0609cde1892101af19275e638.png

apparently test-netconn isn't in Windows 11 (and why in the hell does it show v10.0.22.. lol). 

Grashopr
7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Another possibility is that the address of the server has changed, and you're still using the old one.  This can happen if for some reason the DHCP lease runs out and a new address is supplied for a new lease; it doesn't have to be a change in the software or anything like that.  

You can see on the Emby dashboard what Emby thinks the address of the machine is, or you can type "ipconfig" on a command line on the server to see the address there.

Paul

When I go into 'manually connect' after the direct connect times out, the address in the recommended field is not the same, however, attempting to connect directly to the server using my phone (on the displayed address in the dashboard) still times out. 

image.png.499662888ebf82eb1ef37f129d2caef9.png

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Grashopr said:

image.png.06dd48a0609cde1892101af19275e638.png

apparently test-netconn isn't in Windows 11 (and why in the hell does it show v10.0.22.. lol). 

Sorry you have to input your IP-ADDRESS-OF-SERVER ie 192.168.1.44.

Grashopr
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry you have to input your IP-ADDRESS-OF-SERVER ie 192.168.1.44.

My bad.  Brain fart. 

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

My bad.  Brain fart. 

Also in Powershell not Command.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

But that has nothing to do with other clients connection to you.

But either the WAN address you posted above is wrong or no ports are forwarded as it is unaccessible Remotely.  But we are not looking at Remote connections right now.

Grashopr
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But that has nothing to do with other clients connection to you.

But either the WAN address you posted above is wrong or no ports are forwarded as it is unaccessible Remotely.  But we are not looking at Remote connections right now.

Yeah, never messed with the remote ones.  Not even on my own devices.  That screenshot is from the currently running servers dashboard.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

Batting a million today.

image.thumb.png.5e41d2977e741cefd6e0bf96cdb59a7f.png

LOL yep can you test 8096 instead of 8092.

Info App: Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:8096/

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Grashopr said:

TCP connection is open to the server

image.thumb.png.a9a51b81625ba3b3507c0e743f23b89c.png

image.png.fca90f40be2d95d73e84e646949343d6.png

image.png.f6071da38c2ee57082b6f109cc0cb621.png

image.png.70ce01aac6aa2be986d5f4f3b93995a4.png

This is a rule that applies specifically to "Public" network, is there a rule for "Private" networks?

What is your network connection?

image.png.5071d6578f7c39dfd7b0e010d4638b97.png

Grashopr
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

This is a rule that applies specifically to "Public" network, is there a rule for "Private" networks?

Sent direct to you, Ethernet. 

Grashopr
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And Yes, I manually added the ports for inbound and outbound for All profiles temporarily just to try to test. 

image.thumb.png.9a65a46e720bac4a00934123d6141b35.png

17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Hi.  In that same screen shot on  your machine, the network is also set to "Private network"?  That is critical as most things will be blocked on a public network.  I have seen Windows updates switch that setting in the past...