Emby for Android crashing on any playback

braddles69

braddles69

Hi, I have a Minix Neo-U1 (AndroidTv 1.7.92g) that is an android tv box, Emby for Android has been on it for awhile (3 years) I have the latest Emby for Android (4.4.2.0) under server BradsSynology, and just noticed yesterday that it crashes as soon as I try to playback any video file, have opened tried playback and then reopened and sent logs from home screen.

Could you advise what the problem might be? Seems to be a port mapping issue?

Thanks and regards, Brad

Hi.  Just FYI you are running our app intended for mobile on your device.  Depending on the actual version of Android on the device that may be the best option for you but just so you realize.

You could try looking for "Emby for Android TV" in the store and trying that if available.

braddles69

Thanks Luke, as per the instructions, the log was sent at 10.15am, prior to me reprting on this forum at 10.23, I had opened The Emby for Android TV app, and scrolled down and attempted to play Home Before Dark S01E04, 1080p HEVC, AAC 5.1 vid/audio format. user is braddles69, app attempted to play and then crashed, Emby Server dashboard shows that at this time the Minix Neo U1 was then disconnected.

Thanks

Thanks Luke, as per the instructions, the log was sent at 10.15am, prior to me reprting on this forum at 10.23, I had opened The Emby for Android TV app, and scrolled down and attempted to play Home Before Dark S01E04, 1080p HEVC, AAC 5.1 vid/audio format. user is braddles69, app attempted to play and then crashed, Emby Server dashboard shows that at this time the Minix Neo U1 was then disconnected.

Thanks

Hi. So you are running Android TV.  Are you also running your server on this device?

Can you please translate those log times to EDT?

Thanks.

braddles69

Hi Ebr, the server is running from my local NAS,(Emby 4.4.2.0), User BRAD

Have replicated the problem, opened Emby for Android TV, selected Home Before Dark S01e04, 1080p HEVC, AAC 5.1, app force closed itself,

Then reopened app, selected Homeland S08E12, 720p h264, dd 5.1, also force closed the app and crashed.

Logs sent right now @ 07:49 AEDT, or @ UTC -5 then the log would have been sent at 16:49

Thanks and regards Brad  

Edited by braddles69

braddles69

Okay, logged in and updated to the beta version (1.7.99g)

Then opened the app again, selected Homeland S08E12 720p h264, dd 5.1, and started playback, video playback is stuttering, and there is no audio.

Tried to select the fix playback settings icon on the bottom of the screen, and the app crashed and rebooted the Minix Neo U1.

Sent logs @ 11.04 AEDT user Brad, UTC -5 20.04

Thanks Ebr

Okay, logged in and updated to the beta version (1.7.99g)

Then opened the app again, selected Homeland S08E12 720p h264, dd 5.1, and started playback, video playback is stuttering, and there is no audio.

Tried to select the fix playback settings icon on the bottom of the screen, and the app crashed and rebooted the Minix Neo U1.

Sent logs @ 11.04 AEDT user Brad, UTC -5 20.04

Thanks Ebr

Unfortunately, there is no playback nor a crash in that log.  Can you reproduce?

braddles69

Thanks ebr, I replicated the problem, again with Homeland S08E12, playback started and was a little choppy, again no audio, tried to select the "fix playback error" button on the bottom and the app closed.

Then went in and checked the audio, selected "downmix to stereo" as it only plays through the TV, this seemed to alleviate some stutter in the video, but still no audio, again tried the "fix playback error" and again crashed.

Then went in and selected use external player (I have MX player installed), and now playback is working properly through MX player.

Played Extraction (2020) 1080p h264 DD5.1 and sound and video was fine.

Am happy that I have at least playback working fine now.

Logs sent at 09:53 AEDT, Brad UTC -5  18:53

Thanks for looking into it.

Cheers Brad

Thanks ebr, I replicated the problem, again with Homeland S08E12, playback started and was a little choppy, again no audio, tried to select the "fix playback error" button on the bottom and the app closed.

Then went in and checked the audio, selected "downmix to stereo" as it only plays through the TV, this seemed to alleviate some stutter in the video, but still no audio, again tried the "fix playback error" and again crashed.

Then went in and selected use external player (I have MX player installed), and now playback is working properly through MX player.

Played Extraction (2020) 1080p h264 DD5.1 and sound and video was fine.

Am happy that I have at least playback working fine now.

Logs sent at 09:53 AEDT, Brad UTC -5  18:53

Thanks for looking into it.

Cheers Brad

Okay, I'm afraid that is way too much activity for one long (we only get the last x number of lines).  Please just do that very first step - create the problem for just a few seconds with that first item then back out and immediately send the log.  If the app crashes, re-start it and send the log immediately.

Thanks.

braddles69

okay ebr, Did the same again, deselected "external player" and then tried to playback Homeland episode as above, video played, but no audio, tried to access the "fix playback error" radio button on the bottom of the screen, and app went to black screen, could not back out of it, could return to Android TV (Minix) home screen and tried to reenter app, still black screen, so cleared it and re-entered app and sent logs at 08.40 AEDT. 

Thanks Brad

braddles69

On a side note @@Luke and @@ebr, I am loving the Dark theme and improved HDR for Emby Theater, it is now my front end for the HTPC, have switched over from Emby for WMC, as Theater is faster and more responsive and looks really good with the blacks on my Plasma. Congrats and great work!  ;)

Please don't try to correct the initial problem.  Just play the item where it doesn't play properly for a few seconds and then send the log.  There is still too much noise in the other log to see what that problem actually is.

Also, please try with 1.8.00

Thanks.