Ubiquiti UniFi Thoughts and Questions

BAlGaInTl

Sammy

So just for fun, I turned on the threat detection on my USG over the weekend.  My connection is slow enough that it doesn't really affect anything.  I think I noticed that my LAN traffic slowed down a bit when I had a lot going on, but it isn't a huge issue for my home network.  It's going to take some more testing to determine if it was just a blip.

It caught several threats over the weekend, so I've decided to leave it on for the moment.

But yeah... now I'm looking at the UDM Pro even though I don't "NEED" it.  

:D

ETA: What "level" of threat protection is good for a home network?  I think I have it on 3 right now.

From my experience, I suggest leaving it on now..

I turned this "on" last week and saw the hit to my D/L speeds on the WAN so I turned it off. After that, my USG got all funky and became disconnected from my controller. I had to delete it therefrom, reset it and then is was still disconnected. Then I restored a back up of my network and it was still disconnected. I had to go to a Memorial Day Social Distancing Family BBQ (Immediate family with every family having their own food, supplies, etc) but it was still wonky with no internet connection when I left. I didn't desire to look at it at all after getting home that night. The next morning it automagically reconnected and all has been well since. At this time, I'm not going to turn it "on" because I'll take a hit on speed and if I turn it off, I'm afraid of wonkiness again! Looking into upgrading to UDM already.

BAlGaInTl

From my experience, I suggest leaving it on now..

I turned this "on" last week and saw the hit to my D/L speeds on the WAN so I turned it off. After that, my USG got all funky and became disconnected from my controller. I had to delete it therefrom, reset it and then is was still disconnected. Then I restored a back up of my network and it was still disconnected. I had to go to a Memorial Day Social Distancing Family BBQ (Immediate family with every family having their own food, supplies, etc) but it was still wonky with no internet connection when I left. I didn't desire to look at it at all after getting home that night. The next morning it automagically reconnected and all has been well since. At this time, I'm not going to turn it "on" because I'll take a hit on speed and if I turn it off, I'm afraid of wonkiness again! Looking into upgrading to UDM already.

Interesting.

I turned mine on and off multiple times for testing with no issues whatsoever.

sooty234

Can the controller settings be backed up from a USG and restored to a UDM?

No. In my case, I factory reset everything and rebuilt everything. I have the configuration memorized, so I just made it identical and everything was fine. Apparently you can force adoption of your switches through SSH, but I didn't have the patience.

You might want to consider waiting for the new XG range. They won't be using the Unifi OS. I got the UDM Pro because it integrates the controller and my security cams, which previously had on two other machines. And if the power went off, when it came back on, no security cams or controller. This way, that doesn't happen.

Edited by sooty234

sooty234

so i have a pfsense router, 24 port POE edgeswitch, unfi LR AP indoors, unifi AC mesh pro outdoors and the unifi controller running on a windows pc that is always on. I've also got unifi security cameras but they are setup within Synology Surveillance station which i found to be far better that the free unifi CCTV software.

So i am interested in UDM but ONLY for the security features. I'm pretty happy with how everything else is set up. is it worth it or is there another way of getting the same security protection even if its not from unifi?

in the middle of a main pc rebuild atm so this is not going to get looked at for a month or two but its still something i'm considering

Probably just run a snort interface on pfsense. It has a whole range of ways it can be configured. I don't have it configured to the strength it can be. I didn't want to pay for extra stuff. It catches a lot of stuff. But the Unifi gateways give you more information about what it blocks.

lightsout

Big stuff on main LAN. That's what you're protecting from the IoT stuff

yeah that makes sense thank you.

sooty234

But yeah... now I'm looking at the UDM Pro even though I don't "NEED" it.  

:D

ETA: What "level" of threat protection is good for a home network?  I think I have it on 3 right now.

There are a range of ways to configure that. I haven't delved deep, yet.

5ed539b6ab2fa_Annotation20200601101743.j

5ed53a00ead26_Annotation20200601101820.j

Sammy

No. In my case, I factory reset everything and rebuilt everything. I have the configuration memorized, so I just made it identical and everything was fine. Apparently you can force adoption of your switches through SSH, but I didn't have the patience.

You might want to consider waiting for the new XG range. They won't be using the Unifi OS. I got the UDM Pro because it integrates the controller and my security cams, which previously had on two other machines. And if the power went off, when it came back on, no security cams or controller. This way, that doesn't happen.

This covers going from Cloudkey to UDM but not a controller running on a PC.

lightsout

I'm not getting the UDM Pro though..

I just pulled the trigger on the UDM.

Fyi I had the controller running on a small Linux SBC. I tried to follow those guides to carry over my setup, both controllers were up to date, but apparently on different update paths.

Anyways the controller on the SBC is a newer version than what the UDM was running. So it would not allow me to restore the settings. And the UDM showed it was fully up to date so I was screwed.

Luckily at that point my setup was pretty basic so I just started over. But be warned.

Sammy

Fyi I had the controller running on a small Linux SBC. I tried to follow those guides to carry over my setup, both controllers were up to date, but apparently on different update paths.

Anyways the controller on the SBC is a newer version than what the UDM was running. So it would not allow me to restore the settings. And the UDM showed it was fully up to date so I was screwed.

Luckily at that point my setup was pretty basic so I just started over. But be warned.

So tech support told me what I wanted to hear not what I needed to know?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

So tech support told me what I wanted to hear not what I needed to know?

Well it does work. But if one if the original controller is in a newer version it doesn't work. This was clearly in the guide I read that was provided by Ubiquiti. I just wrongly assumed that it wouldn't apply to me since both controllers were current.

Sammy

Well it does work. But if one if the original controller is in a newer version it doesn't work. This was clearly in the guide I read that was provided by Ubiquiti. I just wrongly assumed that it wouldn't apply to me since both controllers were current.

My controller is currently:

UI:

Backend:

atag:

5.12.72_13103

What version is the UDM on?

Sammy

BTW, I got a "no go" answer to my earlier email request which conflicts with what I was told on chat. Awaiting clarification now.

I don't see why they cannot write a script or GUI even to convert the backup from the USG to a file to be restored on the UDM..

lightsout

BTW, I got a "no go" answer to my earlier email request which conflicts with what I was told on chat. Awaiting clarification now.

I don't see why they cannot write a script or GUI even to convert the backup from the USG to a file to be restored on the UDM..

It's the controller you want to backup and restore right? Or are you saying it won't carry over those settings and apply them from the USG to the UDM.

I tried to look at the app to see what firmware I'm on but couldn't find it. I'm away from home, actually in the hospital right now our fourth child and first son was born Sunday. Praise God for His faithfulness.

• Like 2

Sammy

CONGRATULATIONS on the little tyke! Stay safe in the hospital.

lightsout

Thanks guys, it got pretty intense when we had to rush to OR for emergent C-section. But Mom and baby are well.

As far as the controller I did find it there

Sammy

So I'm a release or so ahead right now. I can probably get support to roll it back or even look for it on their website and install it. I'll keep working with support to see if this can be done. It would be much easier than re-doing my networks now.

Sammy

Thanks guys, it got pretty intense when we had to rush to OR for emergent C-section. But Mom and baby are well.

As far as the controller I did find it there

HOLLY MOLLY! Glad all is well now. Get out of there as soon as you can!