145 replies to this topic

#141 Sammy ONLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3514 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 AM

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 AM

As far as pricing goes, you do not need a CloudKey, the USG is $130ish and the UDM Pro is $300ish so that is more like $170 more. When I bought mine, the UDM just hit the market and some of the reviews were not favorable so I went with the USG, not only to save some $ but also to utilize something tried and true. As far as f/w goes, I got an update just last week.

#142 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 AM

As far as pricing goes, you do not need a CloudKey, the USG is $130ish and the UDM Pro is $300ish so that is more like $170 more. When I bought mine, the UDM just hit the market and some of the reviews were not favorable so I went with the USG, not only to save some $ but also to utilize something tried and true. As far as f/w goes, I got an update just last week.

I don't use a cloud key and wouldn't. I currently run the controller on an Odroid XU4 that runs diet pi. I don't factor in the cost of that because I just it for other things.

But the UDM has an ap and a switch in it. So factoring in those costs is a big offset.

#143 sooty234 OFFLINE  

sooty234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

I just replaced my USG Pro 4 with a UDM Pro. If you have Unifi security cams, this is a good option. And having the controller built it in is really good, too. Now, if the power goes out, when it comes back on, everything automatically boots up. And I've got the whole network plugged into a UPS, which gives me around 45 minutes up time before the battery dies.

#144 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 PM

Posted Yesterday, 02:42 PM

One thing I'm uncertain of, is the non pro udm going to get unifios. They seem to have the same CPU, from what I've read they are holding it back from the non pro model. Maybe it can't handle all the features idk. But don't really like that. Makes it seem like the UDM is not being supported like the pro is.

That's actually probably a bonus for the UDM right now, although I think their plan is to have all devices on the new OS. The new UnifiOS is still working through some glitches and if you're using it in other applications (For example I use a Home Assistant integration with Unifi to help determine presence in my house) it's still not fully supported. I'd actually prefer it if the UDM-P had the old OS or that it were an option to choose.

If I had the USG in place now and it was working for me, I wouldn't rush out and buy a new one just to replace it. But if I were just starting off with a Unifi system, or in a position where I could return a USG for full credit, it will be well worth the little bit of investment to get hardware that's more current. I don't think there's too many of us that would rush out and buy a new iPhone 5c or Samsung Galaxy S3. They'll still be able to make calls, but they won't work anywhere near as good as an iPhone 11 or Galaxy S20.

#145 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 PM

That's actually probably a bonus for the UDM right now, although I think their plan is to have all devices on the new OS. The new UnifiOS is still working through some glitches and if you're using it in other applications (For example I use a Home Assistant integration with Unifi to help determine presence in my house) it's still not fully supported. I'd actually prefer it if the UDM-P had the old OS or that it were an option to choose.

If I had the USG in place now and it was working for me, I wouldn't rush out and buy a new one just to replace it. But if I were just starting off with a Unifi system, or in a position where I could return a USG for full credit, it will be well worth the little bit of investment to get hardware that's more current. I don't think there's too many of us that would rush out and buy a new iPhone 5c or Samsung Galaxy S3. They'll still be able to make calls, but they won't work anywhere near as good as an iPhone 11 or Galaxy S20.

Yeah that last bit is pretty much my thinking. Sounds like a win. Pulled the trigger on the UDM earlier today.
  • Sammy and mastrmind11 like this

#146 Sammy ONLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3514 posts

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

I got USG before the CoViD 19 thing so my return window closed in February..

That said I could probably off-load it and the Switch8-60 on eBay for a few bucks and get an UDM but I'd probably keep my UAP-ACPro's, moving the one right next to the USG to a different location..

DAM YOU GUYS!

https://www.youtube....h?v=7-QvRq6vvf0

Edited by Sammy, Today, 11:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

jaycedk