Ubiquiti UniFi Thoughts and Questions

BAlGaInTl

sooty234

So I'm a release or so ahead right now. I can probably get support to roll it back or even look for it on their website and install it. I'll keep working with support to see if this can be done. It would be much easier than re-doing my networks now.

Either use an old backup or just upgrade the UDM to 1.7

https://community.ui.com/releases/UniFi-Dream-Machine-Firmware-1-7-0/e5702028-d01c-4065-93c9-490724663fd6

5ed6a92d843ce_Annotation20200602123118.j

5ed6a95549a10_Annotation20200602122930.j

sooty234

It isn't a beta. It's the stable release. It's what's running on my UDM Pro. Well, I guess beta for the UDM, but it works great on mine. I can't imagine there's that much difference.

5ed6ac2b9ae25_Annotation20200602124225.j

Edited by sooty234
  • Like 1

Sammy

It isn't a beta. It's the stable release. It's what's running on my UDM Pro. Well, I guess beta for the UDM, but it works great on mine. I can't imagine there's that much difference.

And the release notes state, "This release contains BETA support for the UDM." I was reading this and thought it was a beta release.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

BAlGaInTl

Linus gets Unifi at home

I saw that...

I want one of those for my back yard.

:)

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

He got the Pro switch that I want  :P

I don't "need" that....

With that said... I am eyeing up a PoE switch to replace my switch from another brand.  I don't "need" that either but but.... 

I'll worry about upgrading the USG if I can ever get faster internet.  For now, it's fine.

• Like 1

Sammy

I don't "need" that....

With that said... I am eyeing up a PoE switch to replace my switch from another brand.  I don't "need" that either but but.... 

I'll worry about upgrading the USG if I can ever get faster internet.  For now, it's fine.

I'll be selling my Switch 8 60W soon most likely.

BAlGaInTl

I'll be selling my Switch 8 60W soon most likely.

I was thinking of a rack mount.... but if the price is right....

Hit me up by PM if you decide to sell.

lightsout

So they're updating the UI? I really like the old controller UI just getting used to it, we'll see how the change over goes, I am not updating until

it does it for me. Auto update is on, hasn't grabbed it yet.

Sammy

Linus gets Unifi at home

I saw that...

I want one of those for my back yard.

:)

That's nuts. I'm pretty sure the neighbors' WiFi is now crap!

Edited by Sammy

BAlGaInTl

That's nuts. I'm pretty sure the neighbors' WiFi is now crap!

I thought about that too.  They will have to pick their channels wisely.

I have 6 acres to cover though.  :)

Sammy

I thought about that too.  They will have to pick their channels wisely.

I have 6 acres to cover though.  :)

Not many even know they can pick their channels. If I were he, and I'm not, I'd start charging the neighbors for better WiFi than they probably had before.

• Like 1

Sammy

So they're updating the UI? I really like the old controller UI just getting used to it, we'll see how the change over goes, I am not updating until

Do you, or anyone else, have screen grabs of the UI? I was figuring it was going to be similar to what I have now.

sooty234

It's not much different. It's the platform that's different. It's their own OS.

lightsout

It's not much different. It's the platform that's different. It's their own OS.

Oh my bad I had seen a screen shot that I thought was off the unifios. Must had been mistaken.

Sammy

My UDM should arrive today. I want to screen shot all my settings in the controller for the current USG as a back up plan if trying to move the controller from my NUC to the UDM fails.

What is a good screen shot grabber that will scroll down the page so I can capture all of it just once.

Sammy

And BAM!

I downloaded a backup of my USG, Setup my UDM, Uploaded the f/w to the latest beta f/w version 5.13.27 which was higher than the USG f/w version 5.12.72 and then restored the backup. Everything came over but I had no internet. Rebooted my modem and I'm in business..

Sammy

Your cell phone? [emoji16]

Yeah but my controller was on a NUC at port 8443 and for security reasons UniFi won't allow remote access to the port.

At any rate I didn't need to do this. Still, why in 2020 is such a thing so difficult in a PC; That and why isn't there a multiple item Clip board?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

How's things running for you? So far so good for me. I haven't jumped into creating a second vlan. But I am liking all of the data in the UI as I didn't have a USG before.

Still super impressed with the AP in the UDM. My devices don't care about my AP Lite, even when close the UDM seems to have a much stronger signal.

Sammy

How's things running for you? So far so good for me. I haven't jumped into creating a second vlan. But I am liking all of the data in the UI as I didn't have a USG before.

Still super impressed with the AP in the UDM. My devices don't care about my AP Lite, even when close the UDM seems to have a much stronger signal.

I've had it up and running a grand total of 2 hours and all is well but yes the UDM is grabbing most but not all of my Clients. I'm finding that resetting the WiFi or power cycling the Clients sometimes releases them to another AP but the UDM does have resiliency on the connection. Next I'll try power cycling the Devices themselves.

My USG is going up for sale along with a Switch 8 60 watt because I don't really need managed switches, do I?

If the UDM continues like this I'll probably look into offloading one of my UAP AC Pros too. The one in the front of the house is grabbing clients but I haven't moved the UDM to a higher location yet either. It is still on a shelf lower than my desk with a bit of metal shelf framing around it to boot; did someone say Faraday Shield?