Ubiquiti UniFi Thoughts and Questions

BAlGaInTl

rbjtech

Lower the power (or take if off Auto) if you want your clients to roam properly between AP's.     You need to do a bit of trial and error but Ubiquiti provide the tools to do this and you should be able to see devices hopping between AP's as you walk around.  There are also some client settings you may need to change as some devices will just not let go of a weak signal vs a stronger signal from a much closer AP.

lightsout

I don't think you will need managed switches as long as you can distribute your network as you want with just the UDM. You could

run into trouble if you have a single ethernet run to a location that you want to have multiple wired devices on either vlan. But the only way the switch would help there was if you moved it to that location.

As far as the AP in the UDM, I started trying to mess with settings more so that my devices would rome, but I found that even when they were further away they had better speeds when connected to the UDM instead of the AP. I am only left with an AP-AC-Lite though so that may come into consideration. 

I found a place to put it as the only place the UDM was struggling to reach was my back porch.

• Like 1

rbjtech

@@rbjtech Should the Minimum RSSI (and Cell Size Tuning) be adjusted too?

Possibly - but I haven't looked into this as my issues were solved by just setting power to 'low' and now the roaming works a treat.  Previously, my devices just held onto the weak(er) signal even if they were right next to a new AP at maximum signal strength.  I guess it depends on many factors, wall material, size of estate etc etc.  Also 5GHz has a lot less 'power/penetration' than the old 2.4Ghz - so need to factor that in too.

There is a FAQ somebody put together here for AP roaming on the Ubiquiti forums -

https://community.ui.com/questions/Wireless-LAN-Roaming-FAQ/3044afc5-55ac-4c52-804d-2fbb91381e60

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech

As far as the AP in the UDM, I started trying to mess with settings more so that my devices would rome, but I found that even when they were further away they had better speeds when connected to the UDM instead of the AP. I am only left with an AP-AC-Lite though so that may come into consideration. 

odd.. - you did put your AP's on separate uncongested radio channels right ?

mgworek

My UDM should arrive today. I want to screen shot all my settings in the controller for the current USG as a back up plan if trying to move the controller from my NUC to the UDM fails.

What is a good screen shot grabber that will scroll down the page so I can capture all of it just once.

Your current controller will still function while you set your UDM up. You can just have 2 browser windows open with the current controller and your UDM.

lightsout

odd.. - you did put your AP's on separate uncongested radio channels right ?

Yes I have done that. I have not turned down the power on the UDM though. Probably on medium. I'm getting great speeds across the whole house. Better than I did with the AP-pro in the living room. UDM is in the garage fyi.

Sammy

Your current controller will still function while you set your UDM up. You can just have 2 browser windows open with the current controller and your UDM.

Thank you! This is good to know as is exactly what I ended up doing but I was able to merely restore a backup from the USG to the UDM.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sammy

Here's a weird one for you I discovered while tuning AP Broadcast Power.

The TL-WA850RE is a TP-Link Range Extender I use to control my backyard pool via an IP to Serial 232 translator that happens to only have a 10/100 NIC (Which is fine given these are little kb packets of info to control pumps, valves and the pool heater). This device has no WiFi so I use the TL-WA850RE as a simple bridge with it's AP ssid under a different name than the one used by UniFi. I've used this for several years now BTW.

Now that the background info IS there, here's the issue I found. When turning the power down on the Front of House AP this device just fell off the network and turning the broadcast pewer back up did not reconnect it. It did, however reveal itself as a Wired Client with on digit of the MAC an 8 instead of an e. I had to reset it to get it back on the network.

Then I tried physicaly disconnecting the AP by unplugging the PoE serving it. The TL-WA850RE again fell off the network and didn't show itself under the UDM at all. Fortunately, when I plugged the AP back in it connected again.

I think this thing looks for the MAC if the radio it connected with rather than the ssid but cannot say for sure. The UMD is literally on the other side of a wood frame stucco and gypsum board wall whereas the AP is clear on the other side of the house.

To avoid future wonkiness with this device I believe it will be replaced soon with something from the UniFi or AmpliFi line.

Any suggestions? 35e0d2473897643bec201a5186d7cff4.jpg

Edited by Sammy

BAlGaInTl

Here's a weird one for you I discovered while tuning AP Broadcast Power.

The TL-WA850RE is a TP-Link Range Extender I use to control my backyard pool via an IP to Serial 232 translator that happens to only have a 10/100 NIC (Which is fine given these are little kb packets of info to control pumps, valves and the pool heater). This device has no WiFi so I use the TL-WA850RE as a simple bridge with it's AP ssid under a different name than the one used by UniFi. I've used this for several years now BTW.

Now that the background info IS there, here's the issue I found. When turning the power down on the Front of House AP this device just fell off the network and turning the broadcast pewer back up did not reconnect it. It did, however reveal itself as a Wired Client with on digit of the MAC an 8 instead of an e. I had to reset it to get it back on the network.

Then I tried physicaly disconnecting the AP by unplugging the PoE serving it. The TL-WA850RE again fell off the network and didn't show itself under the UDM at all. Fortunately, when I plugged the AP back in it connected again.

I think this thing looks for the MAC if the radio it connected with rather than the ssid but cannot say for sure. The UMD is literally on the other side of a wood frame stucco and gypsum board wall whereas the AP is clear on the other side of the house.

To avoid future wonkiness with this device I believe it will be replaced soon with something from the UniFi or AmpliFi line.

Any suggestions? 35e0d2473897643bec201a5186d7cff4.jpg

Time to spend some more money on Ubiquiti gear to repeat that signal out there?  :D

• Like 1

Sammy
rbjtech

A little confused by your setup tbh.  Why are you using different SSID's on each AP ?  If the TP-Link is there to act as an Ethernet bridge/client, (and doubles as a repeater - fine) then should it too not be on the same SSID as your UMD ?

If you want to use multi-vlan and broadcast multi-SSID (as I do) - one for IoT, another for Guest etc, then all your AP's can broadcast the same SSID's ..

Edited by rbjtech

Sammy

A little confused by your setup tbh.  Why are you using different SSID's on each AP ?  If the TP-Link is there to act as an Ethernet bridge/client, (and doubles as a repeater - fine) then should it too not be on the same SSID as your UMD ?

If you want to use multi-vlan and broadcast multi-SSID (as I do) - one for IoT, another for Guest etc, then all your AP's can broadcast the same SSID's ..

The TP-Link shows up on the Controller as a "Rogue Device" and is not managed plus obviously it is not working correctly in this case. It is connected to the IoT LAN but hidden. Only I know it is there and nobody else can connect to it anyhow because it isn't on the Guest LAN, nor can it be on more than one LAN. It is a cheap range extender / ethernet bridge.

rbjtech

The TP-Link shows up on the Controller as a "Rogue Device" and is not managed plus obviously it is not working correctly in this case. It is connected to the IoT LAN but hidden. Only I know it is there and nobody else can connect to it anyhow because it isn't on the Guest LAN, nor can it be on more than one LAN. It is a cheap range extender / ethernet bridge.

Ok understood.  Can you not turn off the wifi-repeater function on the TP-Link and have it just act as a pure Wifi>Ethernet Bridge only - ie a client mode ?

I have a TP-Link AC750 doing just this - I must confess I haven't tested it's ability to roam, but it connects to my AP's just fine and appears as a client in the Controller.

• Like 1

Sammy

I can turn off the WiFi repeater under Settings>Wireless>Extended Network; maybe it won't show as rogue if it is off? The reason I got this one is that 2G WiFi is just fine for the intended use of transmitting a few ones and zeros to control my pool equipment.

Sammy

The RSSI is -77dBm. Can I change it to -70dBm on that AP to force it to move to the UDM? It seems a low signal and it should be trying to switch. That said, the signal I need is getting through to control the pool so maybe I shouldn't care much.

BTW, I set it to use the ssid of the UniFi IoT network and I'm not getting the rouge AP error in the controller. Maybe that is something with the USG or maybe it something that has been fixed in the more current f/w?

I stand corrected:

5ee124400a30e_RogueAP.jpg

Edited by Sammy

sooty234

There's a known issue that the UDM pro can show up as a client in the client list (it does on mine). Your issue might relate to that, where your switch is shown as a client.

rbjtech

You need to turn off the Wifi repeater/broadcast - or you will keep getting the Rogue AP in your controller.  It is doing exactly what it should be doing - as well as broadcast, it is always listening as well (trying to tune itself) and the AP's and/or the UDM is listening to a broadcast not originating from the Ubiquiti gear.  This could be somebody trying to inpersonate your SSID - in your case you know it's the repeater.

I don't think you need the wi-fi repeater as the TP is simply acting as an end client, which then converts your Uniquiti Wifi > Ethernet > RS232 > Pool Equipment - so simply turn of the repeater/extender option  :)

Edited by rbjtech

lightsout

I have a single AP connected to my udm via wireless uplink. Today it was disconnected (got the notification). It did not lose power, I know because it is plugged into a Poe injector.

When it came back online, the alias was gone and it was being identified by the Mac address.

Thought that was a bit worry some, anyone seen something similar?

Sammy

Yes. My UDM renamed itself to its MAC ID last week. I don't think it lost power either though AFAIK. I'll check the logs and see.

sooty234

For those of wanting to know how to setup an IoT VLAN or other secure VLANs.

Edited by sooty234

lightsout
For those of wanting to know how to setup an IoT VLAN or other secure VLANs.

Thanks man short and sweet. I still need to get to this. Haven't found the time.