Extremely Slow

Py7h0n
Go to solution Solved by Py7h0n,

Py7h0n

Hi all,

I've been chasing a huge slowdown in Emby recently and I am stuck - Not normally one to ask for help! Browsing media takes 10-15 seconds to load images. Clicking play can take the same. It used to be instant!

I was running the latest production version when I ran into the problem but then decided to build a new Windows server and try the Beta build to try get around the problem. It has however not helped. 

Emby is running on a Windows 10 VM

Xeon D-1521 - 4 cores presented

8GB ram

SSD OS - Tested at ~200-500MB/s 

Storage is running on Freenas and is fast. Tests from the Windows VM run at ~1000MB/s anytime. Emby accesses the storage over standard SMB File shares

EmbyServer has no tasks running, one "Admin" user logged on and is constantly using 15-35% CPU. Nothing in the logs I can see?

I have also tried to store metadata with the media to try and speed things up but it has not helped.

I do have a lot of data it is looking at - Around 27Tb but this has never been an issue before?

This is my last attempt to find a solution before I wipe my installation again and try to piece it together manually vs using my backup to see if that helps.

Emby is one of 4 VMs on the same SSD / Hardware. Nothing else is running slow. 

Any suggestions or things to look at?

Thanks!

post-632609-0-56017500-1587169765_thumb.jpg

post-632609-0-69787500-1587169770_thumb.jpg

post-632609-0-40977000-1587169775_thumb.jpg

post-632609-0-71635800-1587169779_thumb.jpg

denz

Check server log for anything unusual in there or attach here after taking private details out.

• Solution
Py7h0n

Wow - Just solved it!

Seems to be something to do with the local subnets. I removed my defined 172.17.17.0/24 and 172.17.18.0/24 and instantly FAST again.

Thanks for the help - Leaving this hear for anyone that has the same issue.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
fatshotty

hi, I experiencing the same problem: emby is very slow while listing content both on webbrowser (admin user) and client app (other users).
I would like to try your solution, but don't understand how :D

Could you please explain better your steps to solve the problem?

thanks in advance :)

47 minutes ago, fatshotty said:

hi, I experiencing the same problem: emby is very slow while listing content both on webbrowser (admin user) and client app (other users).
I would like to try your solution, but don't understand how :D

Could you please explain better your steps to solve the problem?

thanks in advance :)

Hi there, please attach the emby server log from when this happens. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
fatshotty

hi there,
I attached my embyserver logfile.
Let me explain my configuration:
I have a seedbox with embyserver installed. Seedbox is behind cloudfare nforce1 CDN.
My multimedia library is: 5000+ movie, 400+ tvshows, 200+ documentaries, 200+ videos and a lot of files in my music collection...
So Emby became very slow, but it's strange, because sometimes emby is very very fast on all sections I clicked.
Just an example with chrome and firefox:
- loading homepage -> fast
- enter in a section (movies) -> 1 second and all results are there
- search a movie -> while typing... results appear, so impressive fast :)
- go back and enter to another section -> fast
close browser, wait for 1 minute and try again
- loading homepage -> only placeholders, no sections appear
- after 10-20secs got results
- enter to movies -> fast
- enter to a movie detail page -> 20+ secs
- go to homepage -> stucks
- search -> no response
(in this case I saw in chrome console a lot of 502 error)
Next day, I tried to do the same scenarios with my friend (he is in a different city):
- he opened browser and navigated to my embyserver -> fast
- I open my browser navigating to embyserver -> very slow
- he navigated emby section (movie, tvshows..) -> stuck
- the same for me -> fast
- he searched for a movie -> fast
- I searched the same movie -> stucks

in the log file I read a lot of 500 response errors and response times were around 30-40-50secs. But it's strange, because the same request (few seconds early or later) went OK and fast.

I attached my emby server logfile.

Thanks in advance,
hope this can help :)

embyserver.txt

34 minutes ago, fatshotty said:

hi there,
I attached my embyserver logfile.
Let me explain my configuration:
I have a seedbox with embyserver installed. Seedbox is behind cloudfare nforce1 CDN.
My multimedia library is: 5000+ movie, 400+ tvshows, 200+ documentaries, 200+ videos and a lot of files in my music collection...
So Emby became very slow, but it's strange, because sometimes emby is very very fast on all sections I clicked.
Just an example with chrome and firefox:
- loading homepage -> fast
- enter in a section (movies) -> 1 second and all results are there
- search a movie -> while typing... results appear, so impressive fast :)
- go back and enter to another section -> fast
close browser, wait for 1 minute and try again
- loading homepage -> only placeholders, no sections appear
- after 10-20secs got results
- enter to movies -> fast
- enter to a movie detail page -> 20+ secs
- go to homepage -> stucks
- search -> no response
(in this case I saw in chrome console a lot of 502 error)
Next day, I tried to do the same scenarios with my friend (he is in a different city):
- he opened browser and navigated to my embyserver -> fast
- I open my browser navigating to embyserver -> very slow
- he navigated emby section (movie, tvshows..) -> stuck
- the same for me -> fast
- he searched for a movie -> fast
- I searched the same movie -> stucks

in the log file I read a lot of 500 response errors and response times were around 30-40-50secs. But it's strange, because the same request (few seconds early or later) went OK and fast.

I attached my emby server logfile.

Thanks in advance,
hope this can help :)

embyserver.txt 418.49 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, the next release of the server will have improved performance.

fatshotty
On 2/13/2021 at 11:12 PM, Luke said:

Hi, the next release of the server will have improved performance.

HI, thanks for reply. 
just more info. I encountered these problems just later emby premier lifetime-subscription. I wonder: is there a sort of limitation in activating subscription?
Moreover: is there a due date about next release? Navigation and stream on Emby is unusable so far :(

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, fatshotty said:

HI, thanks for reply. 
just more info. I encountered these problems just later emby premier lifetime-subscription. I wonder: is there a sort of limitation in activating subscription?
Moreover: is there a due date about next release? Navigation and stream on Emby is unusable so far :(

thanks in advance

Hi, no ETA, but you could always try a fresh install of the beta server and see how that compares.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, fatshotty said:

I have a seedbox with embyserver installed.

That is likely your problem right there.  Seedbox accounts are usually massively oversold VMs on a host machine that don't have much CPU power as that's not normally needed for seeding.  You don't need much in the way of CPU for seeding as it's all about the IO for that task.

fatshotty
27 minutes ago, cayars said:

That is likely your problem right there.  Seedbox accounts are usually massively oversold VMs on a host machine that don't have much CPU power as that's not normally needed for seeding.  You don't need much in the way of CPU for seeding as it's all about the IO for that task.

thanks for reply.
I'm using seedbox since 1 year ago and emby was very fast, so far. I have about 5000+ movies and, until 2 months ago, all movies folder were in the same "my-movies" folder.
Starting from 2 months ago I moved some movies folder into another folder.
So, in "my-movies" folder I have all movies from 2000's on; I created "other-movies" folder moving all movies folder till 2000's. After modified emby configuration (added new folder) I forced a full-rescan. Stop! Emby started going slow... Connection problems and stream stucks :(
I thinked about a wrong configuration, maybe I was wrong adding new folder... I don't know.
I only know that Emby is very slow and I experiencing connection and streaming issues :( 

Most likely just a coincidence.  The more likely situation is you got lucky and was put on a fresh box when you signed up and there just wasn't competition on the box so you got more of it's resources. In general seedbox installs are low end (CPU wise) VMs that are sold cheap but geared to a specific purpose which doesn't need a lot of CPU/GPU power as it's 99% IO based (seeding).

Of course that's just speculation based on past performance and history of others trying to use them.

Why don't you post your server log file and we'll take a look at it to see if there are any errors or settings that may not be optimal. This would be better than guessing. :)

fatshotty
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Most likely just a coincidence.  The more likely situation is you got lucky and was put on a fresh box when you signed up and there just wasn't competition on the box so you got more of it's resources. In general seedbox installs are low end (CPU wise) VMs that are sold cheap but geared to a specific purpose which doesn't need a lot of CPU/GPU power as it's 99% IO based (seeding).

Of course that's just speculation based on past performance and history of others trying to use them.

Why don't you post your server log file and we'll take a look at it to see if there are any errors or settings that may not be optimal. This would be better than guessing. :)

Yes, you're right about seedbox systems: they are installed on "low-performant" VM's, I know.
I monitored the seedbox resources and I noticed that sometimes it is very overloaded, but it doesn't affect Emby performances, neither better or worse.
Moreover, I tested for while during the day and the night. Emby is sometime very fast.. sometime very slow. Emby sometime is very fast in navigation and search; sometime is very slow. So, I cannot figure out why searching for "the big bang theory" take 1 secs. Re-trying after 1min... it takes 1-2 minutes... Sometimes results don't show up  at all.
However thanks for your clarification. I already attached emby log file in previous posts. Should I re-attached it? 

Likely just depends on the CPU slice available when you try searches.  Catch it right and it will be fast.  Same with the opposite and requests can even timeout and not return results.

Sure post a new log.

fatshotty
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Likely just depends on the CPU slice available when you try searches.  Catch it right and it will be fast.  Same with the opposite and requests can even timeout and not return results.

Sure post a new log.

here is my embyserver.txt
I've restarted emby and then access via web browser and via my smatphone. Emby was fast and slow alternatively

hope this can be helpful :)
thanks

embyserver.txt

fatshotty
Just now, cayars said:

Looks similar to before with something fast and something slow and alternating.

exactly. I saw also a lot of "500 response error", but I don't know if they are just "warning" or not...
Moreover, a lot of DB queries taking long time

thanks again

It's not just DB @Lukebut everything.  One HLS packet can take 37ms to deliver then 600ms, 500, 45, 30, 600.  Same thing with generating images where the numbers are all over the place.  

It has the look of log files that are running on resource starved PC.

• 3 months later...
TonyRostron
On 19/02/2021 at 14:43, cayars said:

Hi all, sorry to jump in on this. My windows Emby threatre is ridiculously slow. And I mean crazily slow. It just isn't right. How do I send a log here for help please?

Hi, please start a new topic specific to your issue and include the info requested here: