What current projects are you working on?

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

With many of suck at home with a lot of free time our hands I am curious to what projects you might be working on.

I have been:

• Creating some dashboards with InfluxDB and Grafana for my server hardware and home network
  • Expanding my IoT network at home and setting up more home automation functionality 
  • Organizing my ebooks and audiobooks collection and setting up severs (Calibre-web and Booksonic) to share with my family
  • More acoustic treatments for the home theater room

How about you?

Sammy

I've been working on straightening out my library but mostly working from home, I do get an extra couple of hours a day since I don't have to drive to work right now.

Gilgamesh_48

I just sit in my living room watching TV (Emby) and communing with the internet. I've already outlived my friends and family in the US and I do not make new friends easily even before this mess.

But the time alone with Emby and my media does give me a chance to uncover bugs and generally complain. I have become very good at the latter.

I do get to spend some time on Skype with my Granddaughters living in Japan. They are still young enough to think their grandpa has some wisdom to convey. Their parents have grown stupid but grandpa is still mostly smart.

Q: Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well?

A: Because they have a mutual enemy.

And I will share the following just because I can:

And then the fight started

1. When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive.... So, I took her to a gas station.....

And then the fight started....

2. My wife and I are watching "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" while we were in bed. I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?" "No," she answered. I then said, "Is that your final answer?" She didn't even look at me this time, simply saying, "Yes." So I said, "Then I'd like to phone a friend."

And then the fight started....

3. After retiring, I went to the Social Security office to apply for Social Security. The woman behind the counter asked me for my driver's license to verify my age. I looked in my pockets and realized I had left my wallet at home. I told the woman that I was very sorry, but I would have to go home and come back later. The woman said, "Unbutton your shirt". So I opened my shirt revealing my curly silver hair. She said, "That silver hair on your chest is proof enough for me". And she processed my Social Security application. When I got home, I excitedly told my wife about my experience at the Social Security office. She said, "You should have dropped your pants. You might have gotten Disability, too".

And then the fight started.....

4. Saturday morning I got up early, quietly dressed, made my lunch, grabbed the dog, and slipped quietly into the garage. I hooked up the boat up to the truck, and proceeded to back out into a torrential downpour. The wind was blowing 50 mph, so I pulled back into the garage, turned on the radio, and discovered that the weather would be bad all day. I went back into the house, quietly undressed, and slipped back into bed. I cuddled up to my wife's back, now with a different anticipation, and whispered, "The weather out there is terrible."

My loving wife of 10 years replied, "Can you believe my stupid husband is out fishing in that?"

And then the fight started ...

5. My wife and I were sitting at a table at my high school reunion, and I kept staring at a drunken lady swigging her drink as she sat alone at a nearby table. My wife asked, "Do you know her?"

"Yes," I sighed, "She's my old girlfriend. I understand she took to drinking right after we split up those many years ago, and I hear she hasn't been sober since."

"My God!" says my wife, "Who would think a person could go on celebrating that long?"

6. I rear-ended a car this morning. So, there we were alongside the road and slowly the other driver got out of his car. You know how sometimes you just get so stressed and little things just seem funny? Yeah, well I couldn't believe it.... He was a DWARF!!!

He stormed over to my car, looked up at me, and shouted, "I AM NOT HAPPY!!!"

So, I looked down at him and said, "Well, then which one are you?"

7. I took my wife to a restaurant. The waiter, for some reason, took my order first. "I'll have the strip steak, medium rare, please." He said, "Aren't you worried about the mad cow?"

"Nah, she can order for herself."

8. A woman is standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror. She is not happy with what she sees and says to her husband, "I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly. I really need you to pay me a compliment."

The husband replies, "Your eyesight's darn near perfect."

• Like 4

rechigo

- Well, since I was too lazy to do this when I started building my library I now have to pay the price by going through every single item, strip any image subtitles, and make sure that they contain properly synced text based subtitles

- I've recently wrote my own find&modify/replace/insert program to completely automate modifications I do to do the web app and Android app so I don't have to manually do them after every beta release (I have quite a bit)

- Since the Emby notification system quite frankly sucks and lacking lots of useful information, I'm going to have to write my own implementations for common notification types (Movies, TV, Recordings)

Edited by rechigo

adamstewiegreen

Free time? 

I have 3 kids > 8 at home and I'm supposed to be thier school teacher for the next ... who knows how long!

On top of that I'm teaching my 2 oldest kids piano

I'm reading "Post Captain" by Patrick O'Brian, I re-read Master and Commander (plus watched the movie) and decided to delve into the Aubrey/Maturin series. 

(I've found the best source for ebooks is still amazon.  Unless what you're looking for is fairly mainstream those "other" sources usually consist of PDFs that have been OCR'd and then hastily turned into an epub or mobi.  They are virtually unreadable or at least take all the joy out of reading.  I'm a regular at my local used book store.  I got a 2nd gen kindle while doing my postgrad degree thinking it would be invaluable - and it turned out to be (almost) useless for that application.  I used it for reading everything else but I never completely gave up physical books.  Now I much prefer physical copies rather than reading on my kindle.)

A few months ago I bought a Roland FP-30 keyboard/piano and a week before everything came to a grinding halt I got a Line 6 Helix so I've been playing a lot of music, experimenting.

Hopefully I can get back into learning Python ...

Sammy

I'm sitting in an empty kitchen everyday coding stuff... I don't know if I should be happy or severely worried

@@chef

I wish you well in this trying time. 

mgworek

I'm sitting in an empty kitchen everyday coding stuff... I don't know if I should be happy or severely worried

I have an office I get to sit in at home but that is pretty much my life. Work has been insane. I don't have time for projects or just to relax and chill.

skidmarks

Plugs / Wires / Tires last week on the Ford

Well this weekend its the Ford...  Water Pump (today and tomorrow) and oil in the GMC

Next week its the VW...  Turbo replacement

The ole MS makes it a challenge, but do what you can and it will be waiting to finish tomorrow...

Think the RMA video board from my spouses system comes back this week too...

Sorry i couldn't be more exciting with server builds or debugging code or building a rocket.

• Like 2

Sammy

Absolutely nothing wrong with the guy can rent on his own Cars too!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Q-Droid

Digging holes and setting fence posts to shore up the part of my privacy fence that was taken down by the storms last Monday.

neik

- Well, since I was too lazy to do this when I started building my library I now have to pay the price by going through every single item, strip any image subtitles, and make sure that they contain properly synced text based subtitles

Doing exactly the same and it takes so much time to extract and convert them to SRT.

Anyway, I am almost there. :-)

BAlGaInTl

I'm "essential" so I'm still working every day.

That said... I have an unused Raspberry Pi 4 that I would like to use to set up PiHole and Wireguard.

So far I haven't found a good guide for doing both, and I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure it out on my own.

:)

Gilgamesh_48

Us too ;)

Yes! Emby, for me and some other people I know, is essential or even more. I no longer have the sports I used to watch so Emby is all I have. Fortunately I have a large extensive library and I am able to watch a lot of the old TV I have accumulated over time so I have plenty to watch through Emby.

While there are other ways I could watch my library there are none better than Emby for my use.

It is calming to know that the dedicated folks at Emby are always there just in case something goes wrong.

The only lack for my use case is audiobooks. I do not care about metadata etc I just want playback and resume to work properly on all my clients. I just wish someone at Emby would make the audio part of Emby a priority while they have this time available. Right now I use Emby for all my media except audiobooks. For those I have to use MediaMonkey and while that is a good solution I would find it better if I did not have to use different programs for different functions.

I think this could be seen as an opportunity to close one gaping hole in Emby.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Spaceboy

I'm "essential" so I'm still working every day.

That said... I have an unused Raspberry Pi 4 that I would like to use to set up PiHole and Wireguard.

So far I haven't found a good guide for doing both, and I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure it out on my own.

:)

pi hole is very easy to install, I’ll see if I can find you the guide i followed

BAlGaInTl

pi hole is very easy to install, I’ll see if I can find you the guide i followed

Thanks...

Yes... pi hole is easy.  Wireguard is pretty easy...

Both together are a bit more difficult.  I want to route my internal traffic through the Pi using pi hole.  I also want the pi to serve as my external connection when I'm out and about.  Right now, I have Wireguard on my Unraid server, but I wanted to try and remove that and use the Pi instead.  

That way, I can easily connect to it when I'm out and about, and still route traffic through pi hole.  I would also like to be able to administer the other computers on my network.

Jdiesel

Thanks...

Yes... pi hole is easy.  Wireguard is pretty easy...

Both together are a bit more difficult.  I want to route my internal traffic through the Pi using pi hole.  I also want the pi to serve as my external connection when I'm out and about.  Right now, I have Wireguard on my Unraid server, but I wanted to try and remove that and use the Pi instead.  

That way, I can easily connect to it when I'm out and about, and still route traffic through pi hole.  I would also like to be able to administer the other computers on my network.

What router are you currently using?

My setup for doing the same as you are wanting to do is a bit different but it has been working really well for a few years now. I use pfsense and run an OpenVPN to access my local network from outside and the pfblockerNG plugin to take care of DNS filtering (You can use the piHole lists if you like or a combination of multiple lists). I like this setup because it treats my remotely connected VPN devices exactly as local devices including the network wide ad-blocking with pfblockerNG.

I haven't setup Wireguard on my unraid box yet but I haven't had the need too.

BAlGaInTl

My setup for doing the same as you are wanting to do is a bit different but it has been working really well for a few years now. I use pfsense and run an OpenVPN to access my local network from outside and the pfblockerNG plugin to take care of DNS filtering (You can use the piHole lists if you like or a combination of multiple lists). I like this setup because it treats my remotely connected VPN devices exactly as local devices including the network wide ad-blocking with pfblockerNG.

I've run OpenVPN (PiVPN) in the past.  Now that Wireguard has hit stable, I wanted to give it a go.  

My router is a Google OnHub mesh system (The original OnHubs... not the WiFi units).  I really love the mesh and the rock-solid coverage it provides, but the routing features are lacking.  The problem is that if you try to put it behind another router, you lose all of the mesh capability.  It was a great cheap way to replace my old router and multiple AP kludge that I had before.  

Spaceboy

thats my setup too

Gilgamesh_48

I've run OpenVPN (PiVPN) in the past.  Now that Wireguard has hit stable, I wanted to give it a go.  

My router is a Google OnHub mesh system (The original OnHubs... not the WiFi units).  I really love the mesh and the rock-solid coverage it provides, but the routing features are lacking.  The problem is that if you try to put it behind another router, you lose all of the mesh capability.  It was a great cheap way to replace my old router and multiple AP kludge that I had before.  

I run ExpressVPN on my router and was just wondering what advantage your setup has other than price. I feel quite secure behind my router but if the security could be improved or the ease of use could be increased I might just give it a go. I have a couple of Pis laying around so it is not unreasonable for me to consider using one for improvement in my system. I just would need to know things would be better with a new setup.

Jdiesel

I run ExpressVPN on my router and was just wondering what advantage your setup has other than price. I feel quite secure behind my router but if the security could be improved or the ease of use could be increased I might just give it a go. I have a couple of Pis laying around so it is not unreasonable for me to consider using one for improvement in my system. I just would need to know things would be better with a new setup.

The difference between using a VPN like ExpressVPN or PIA versus hosting your own VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard is how you intend to use it. With the paid services you are usually doing so to either mask your identity or appear to be connecting from a different location or country. Hosting your own is usually done to securely connect to your own network remotely. Another reason to host your own VPN is when you are using public networks for sensitive information. Connecting through a VPN that you host and control can provide some piece of mind that nobody is viewing or alternating your connection.

Edited by Jdiesel

Spaceboy

Yeah I vpn back home when I’m remote to expressly secure dodgy public Wi-Fi and take advantage of pi holes adblocking