What current projects are you working on?

Jdiesel

Gilgamesh_48

The difference between using a VPN like ExpressVPN or PIA versus hosting your own VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard is how you intend to use it. With the paid services you are usually doing so to either mask your identity or appear to be connecting from a different location or country. Hosting your own is usually done to securely connect to your own network remotely. Another reason to host your own VPN is when you are using public networks for sensitive information. Connecting through a VPN that you host and control can provide some piece of mind that nobody is viewing or alternating your connection.

Then, since I never connect remotely and I never allow anyone else to either, I guess I would gain nothing so I guess I will forgo the opportunity to add additional complexity to my setup.

BAlGaInTl

The difference between using a VPN like ExpressVPN or PIA versus hosting your own VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard is how you intend to use it. With the paid services you are usually doing so to either mask your identity or appear to be connecting from a different location or country. Hosting your own is usually done to securely connect to your own network remotely. Another reason to host your own VPN is when you are using public networks for sensitive information. Connecting through a VPN that you host and control can provide some piece of mind that nobody is viewing or alternating your connection.

Definitely this.

I also have a separate VPN that I can use, but my VPN/Wireguard on my home network is to access things.

I use my personal VPN when I'm out and about and I want to administer something on my network.  The only thing open to the outside right now is Emby without going through the VPN.  None of my users are permitted to do any admin stuff on a remote connection.  Including me.  So if I want to do something with any of my applications, or shared network drives, I have to connect to the VPN first.

chef

I love quarentine. I got to make this as a project

Edited by chef
  • Like 9

Spaceboy

very cool, so when are you releasing this [emoji3]
  • Like 1

rechigo

https://youtu.be/-4-WJBS40jQ

This is neat. I should start experimenting with the Alexa API with Emby Integration.. I totally forgot I have an echo dot since it's kinda useless to me, but if it's something I can screw around with it'll be my new favorite toy

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Edited by rechigo

jachin99

Wow, that's incredible.  You really do make the some of the best stuff for Emby!!  I assume the answer is yes but this will work with Kodi and Windows Media Center clients right?  I don't use WMC but I have Kodi clients setup on every TV.  

Swynol

some awesome work their @@chef.

A few projects i'm working on

• Animated movie poster screen. using something like a surface or maybe a 24" monitor in portrait mode showing movie posters in the theatre. either running frontview or movieposter software.
  • Home network monitor and mapping tool.

thats about it atm, its hard as even though we are in lock down me and my wife both work in the nhs, so flat out atm.

• Like 1

Swynol

With many of suck at home with a lot of free time our hands I am curious to what projects you might be working on.

I have been:

• Creating some dashboards with InfluxDB and Grafana for my server hardware and home network
  • Expanding my IoT network at home and setting up more home automation functionality 
  • Organizing my ebooks and audiobooks collection and setting up severs (Calibre-web and Booksonic) to share with my family
  • More acoustic treatments for the home theater room

How about you?

would love to see what your doing with grafana and your home theatre

chef

some awesome work their @@chef.

A few projects i'm working on

• Animated movie poster screen. using something like a surface or maybe a 24" monitor in portrait mode showing movie posters in the theatre. either running frontview or movieposter software.
  • Home network monitor and mapping tool.
thats about it atm, its hard as even though we are in lock down me and my wife both work in the nhs, so flat out atm.
Thank you for the work that you do.

What about a raspi running magicMirror on the back of your screen.

@@Swynol

Edited by chef

Anthony Musgrove

Great question :P  I'm an essential service worker (Ambulance), but with my time off when I get it I've been building a new plugin for Emby, called Emby Scripter-X.

Not sure if this theming is too far overkill though.  But nonetheless, plenty of work to get done, keeping my mind busy, so I'm happy as larry right now :)

5eaa7b104ee4d_newtheme_done.png

Fully theme compliant, so just changing the theme changes all the styling of the plugin interface (as you'd expect), Apple TV theme looks alright too I think:

5eaa7c9b2a21c_appletvtheme.png

Edited by Anthony.Musgrove
  • Like 2

Swynol

Thank you for the work that you do.

What about a raspi running magicMirror on the back of your screen.

@@Swynol

cheers Chef. i've been keeping up with your youtube videos. i like the magicmirror, not sure i have the time to put that together. pretty cool though

fizzyade

I’m working on this, although the past few weeks have basically been consumed with various time consuming/sink(ing) “back end” stuff for generating deployable images for Windows, Mac OS and Linux, although I now have that working along with automation with TeamCity.

With any luck might get back to doing some work on the actual application this weekend.

https://github.com/fizzyade/pingnoo

77832022-d5567680-712a-11ea-9680-1998915

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Oh my

so @@chef , is this functionality available in one of your current apps or is this still unreleased?

Sammy

Does Emby need to be running in the Room you specify?

It'd be cool to do this with an AndroidTV device with it OFF then have it turn it on and start playback. Any chance?

• Like 1

Sammy

You map rooms to emby devices in your home inside the plugin config. Super quick to set up

And ah yes, I wrote another little server which does exactly that (turning on Android devices with Alexa) using Android Debugger ADB

Shhhh, ... it's all open sourced on my GitHub..

Link?

Sammy

I downloaded from git but there's no installer and I cannot find a drop in dll for the plugin..

chef

I downloaded from git but there's no installer and I cannot find a drop in dll for the plugin..

Hey Sammy, sorry, if you are talking about the HomeAutomationService, then it would have to be compiled into an exe. I can help.

I'll PM you, but you might be better off compiling the project because you can alter the code to be a little more specific to your needs.

pir8radio

Though not emby or even media related, my Corona-Project has been finishing up my Solar install and getting all of the solar and home power data into my splunk server for monitoring via a dashboard (link below)...

If you get bored,

You are more than welcome to check out the dashboard here:  https://solar.notallmine.net

And the full solar install info here:   http://notallmine-net.blogspot.com/2019/11/solar-install.html

5eb9c167ee785_unnamed.png

5eb9c17beafac_Capture.png

• Like 3

pir8radio

Very interesting @@pir8radio

Have you calculated your ROI based on how the array has been performing?

its about 3-4 years with the rough numbers,  I have not had it for a full summer yet to know actual results.   Using one of those online solar calculators that plans for the worst said about 3 years.  Mostly due to getting the panels at such a good price. 

Edited by pir8radio