emby has problems with transcoding H264

zac115
Go to solution Solved by maegibbons,

zac115

iv been using emby for a while now and i have found that using any file that has a Codec of H264 makes emby stutter like a mad man. i have tested this with a lot of file and it happens like clock work. i start the video and the system starts to trans-code, i look at the dashboard and see that the buffer is like 2 mins ahead of playback as it should be. but when i play it, it just stops and plays stops and plays over and over. not sure if its a software bug but i have looked at all other areas that could cause this to happen (I.E my internet speed, cpu usage, RAM usage, client internet speeds) and it all comes back to just this one Codec. Not sure what to do other then i replace all files that are H264 as that seems to fix the problem. Also it does not matter what Bitrate i set it too it still does it no mater what the setting is set to. 

Edited by zac115

zac115

iv been using emby for a while now and i have found that using any file that has a Codec of H264 makes emby stutter like a mad man. i have tested this with a lot of file and it happens like clock work. i start the video and the system starts to trans-code, i look at the dashboard and see that the buffer is like 2 mins ahead of playback as it should be. but when i play it, it just stops and plays stops and plays over and over. not sure if its a software bug but i have looked at all other areas that could cause this to happen (I.E my internet speed, cpu usage, RAM usage, client internet speeds) and it all comes back to just this one Codec. Not sure what to do other then i replace all files that are H264 as that seems to fix the problem. Also it does not matter what Bitrate i set it too it still does it no mater what the setting is set to.

so i got some help from some friends and it seems to only be their side now. i can play them fine on my local system but when they watch them they stutter like i said before. so with that said would this be a upload problem or a file problem?

Edited by zac115

zac115

5e96414d027c9_Annotation20200414180308.p

also here it is buffering but when played it still stutters even withe the system ahead of play back. but like i said it only does this when play remotely off the local network.

Edited by zac115

maegibbons

5e96414d027c9_Annotation20200414180308.p

also here it is buffering but when played it still stutters even withe the system ahead of play back. but like i said it only does this when play remotely off the local network.

4.1Mbps is still quite a high bitrate. Get the user to drop the inapp quality setting to 1Mbps and see if that helps.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

• Like 1

zac115

4.1Mbps is still quite a high bitrate. Get the user to drop the inapp quality setting to 1Mbps and see if that helps.

Krs

Mark

yep we tried this and it still stutters. im am getting a new version of this file in HEVC and will see if that stops the problem. when i aksed my friend to lower the bitrate he said the playback system did not give him the option to go down to 1Mbps only down to 4.

maegibbons

yep we tried this and it still stutters. im am getting a new version of this file in HEVC and will see if that stops the problem. when i aksed my friend to lower the bitrate he said the playback system did not give him the option to go down to 1Mbps only down to 4.

Umm.. it should give him the option to go way lower than that.

H264 is very standard and should not cause a problem

See if he can find the 1mbps option.

The other thing you could try is switching off hardware encoding using VAAPI just to see.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

zac115

ok yes that fixed the problem for him. but i would like to know what is going on and why it is stuttering in the first place when playing at 1080P. the only option for 1Mbps was going down to 720 1Mbps. i would like to be able to strem it at the rez that i got it in.

Umm.. it should give him the option to go way lower than that.

H264 is very standard and should not cause a problem

See if he can find the 1mbps option.

The other thing you could try is switching off hardware encoding using VAAPI just to see.

Krs

Mark

Edited by zac115

Most likely that's just as fast as the network connection between client and server can handle.

zac115

Most likely that's just as fast as the network connection between client and server can handle.

would going to different codec fix this then. i guessing not .

zac115

If I'm right then no.

so i talked to my friend and he sent me pic of his upload and download. he has 30 up and 6 down. so i dont see how this could be a net problem. he is playing on a ps4 could that have something top do with it? and yes luck you where right the codec had nothing to do with it.

maegibbons

so i talked to my friend and he sent me pic of his upload and download. he has 30 up and 6 down. so i dont see how this could be a net problem. he is playing on a ps4 could that have something top do with it? and yes luck you where right the codec had nothing to do with it.

6 down already rings alarm bells with me. Are you sure you have those the right way round?

To test the true bandwidth between his house and yours use iperf.

You will be surprised how low it is!

WAN connections are very variable due to all sorts of factors which are all outside your control.

Krs

Mark

It could be ISP throttling.

zac115

6 down already rings alarm bells with me. Are you sure you have those the right way round?

To test the true bandwidth between his house and yours use iperf.

You will be surprised how low it is!

WAN connections are very variable due to all sorts of factors which are all outside your control.

Krs

Mark

yes i did get those mixed around. its 30 down 6 up. my bad.

• Solution
maegibbons

yes i did get those mixed around. its 30 down 6 up. my bad.

To test the true bandwidth between point A and point B use iperf. Google it and test.

It will give you a reliable measure to/from your friends house.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

zac115

To test the true bandwidth between point A and point B use iperf. Google it and test.

It will give you a reliable measure to/from your friends house.

Krs

Mark

yes it was his speed. thanks for the ideas on fixing it.