Emby not seeing Hauppauge Tuners even though WinTV 10 works

fastcity
Go to solution Solved by arrbee99,

SHSPVR

I added a few channels and the M3U route does work! Thank you.

Is there any way to export the full channel list from NPVR though?

Nope sorry

SHSPVR

Think the v5 plugin is 3.5.3 which is here -

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74439-nextpvr-v5-emby-plugin/

Its a slightly more manual process. Whether you want to bother if you've got everything working I couldn't say...

But you also have buy Schedules Direct EPG for that to work being ATSC pulled Local Guide here doesn't have all show info like season and episodes and etc

Spaceboy

I added a few channels and the M3U route does work! Thank you.

Is there any way to export the full channel list from NPVR though?

i use dvbviewer, which is paid for, and it does this and some other little things (primarily no buffer built up in the backend before the stream is released to emby so it’s much quicker to start than any other product). Paid but worth it imo

Spaceboy

But you also have buy Schedules Direct EPG for that to work being ATSC pulled Local Guide here doesn't have all show info like season and episodes and etc

i use schedules direct data in the uk through epg123 and xmltv and get full series and episode details. It’s the same source and emby data, just again another thing to pay for but again worth it imo for the much greater flexibility

arrbee99

Just mentioning a possibility that should hopefully work. I also get the guide OTA, not sure where the OP would get his.

arrbee99

i use dvbviewer, which is paid for, and it does this and some other little things (primarily no buffer built up in the backend before the stream is released to emby so it’s much quicker to start than any other product). Paid but worth it imo

Just wondering how fast is fast ?

SHSPVR

i use schedules direct data in the uk through epg123 and xmltv and get full series and episode details. It’s the same source and emby data, just again another thing to pay for but again worth it imo for the much greater flexibility

You miss read my reply

I wasn't ref to Schedules Direct or any other that doesn't give you series and episode details,  I ref to actual OTA Tuner PSIP data (EPG) that is transmitted along with the digital television signal you do know that NextPVR, SageTV, SichboPVR, MythTV and now even Hauppauge WinTV 10 can grab this data right from antenna for those with out any internet access it the one that has no series and episode details and limited to up to 6 hours to high as 2 day of data depend on TV station but ATSC 3.0 will address this here in USA.

So if some one is Purchasing Emby that come with own EPG all any user need from NextPVR is act as backend recorder which doesn't even need have any EPG for it to work,  granite it has to be set up mostly manually depend on the source input mainly just manually add analog channel for STB in to NextPVR channel list, the other like ATSC and NTSC and Open Cable Channel from Tuner can be done by auto scan.

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Just wondering how fast is fast ?

too many variables for an actual time to be meaningful but it knocked a second or two off the time taken by any other backend.
  • Like 1

sub3

too many variables for an actual time to be meaningful but it knocked a second or two off the time taken by any other backend.

If you've got 'keep digital tuners primed' ticked in NextPVR, it's typically delivering the stream to the client within about half a second...so unlikely dvbviewer is a second or two quicker. I'm guessing its pretty similar. 

(The very first usage of a tuner after NextPVR starts is a little slower because it has to load the device, but subsequent are quick)

• Like 1

sub3

Actually, those were gut feel times. I spent some time this morning collecting precise timings in NextPVR. 

On Windows, with a DVB-T tuner, and 'keep digital tuners primed':

- if the tuner was previously on the correct frequency, it'd take less than 300ms for the client to start receiving the stream

- if the tuner was not on the correct frequency, it'd took a little less than 600ms for the client to start receiving the stream

These timings were collected from a client, and represent the real duration of the request until the client start receiving real stream data. The was with a Hauppauge MiniStick. If your device is faster or slower to tune, that will be reflected in the scenario above where it was not on the correct frequency and needed to retune. Either way, NextPVR is adding very little overhead. 

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Actually, those were gut feel times. I spent some time this morning collecting precise timings in NextPVR.

On Windows, with a DVB-T tuner, and 'keep digital tuners primed':

- if the tuner was previously on the correct frequency, it'd take less than 300ms for the client to start receiving the stream

- if the tuner was not on the correct frequency, it'd took a little less than 600ms for the client to start receiving the stream

These timings were collected from a client, and represent the real duration of the request until the client start receiving real stream data. The was with a Hauppauge MiniStick. If your device is faster or slower to tune, that will be reflected in the scenario above where it was not on the correct frequency and needed to retune. Either way, NextPVR is adding very little overhead.

as I say too many variables. I’m not even using dvbt tuners...

• 3 weeks later...
EmbyEmbyUser202

I would like to know a ballpark estimate for when the WinTV dependency for Hauppauge cards is going to be eliminated.

I'm on monthly subscription to Emby Premiere, but I don't have my WinTV disk.   It will cost me some cash to buy WinTV back.   Right now, I am using the NextPVR plugin with Schedules Direct (more cash) - I can't use Emby's included EPG without WinTV.    Emby Theater for Xbox is my draw to this platform after losing WMC, but my Emby setup depends on NExtPVR which depends on schedules direct.  Would be nice if the dependencies were gone!

EE

SHSPVR

I would like to know a ballpark estimate for when the WinTV dependency for Hauppauge cards is going to be eliminated.

I'm on monthly subscription to Emby Premiere, but I don't have my WinTV disk.   It will cost me some cash to buy WinTV back.   Right now, I am using the NextPVR plugin with Schedules Direct (more cash) - I can't use Emby's included EPG without WinTV.    Emby Theater for Xbox is my draw to this platform after losing WMC, but my Emby setup depends on NExtPVR which depends on schedules direct.  Would be nice if the dependencies were gone!

EE

There telling when Emby will get around to build it own integrated ATSC/DVB TV server after all they go lot other things on there plate so we can only hope that will happen this year

You can used NextPVR with out Schedules Direct and used Emby with included EPG as I have said many time before you need setup M3U Tuner.

Edited by SHSPVR

• 1 month later...
earratia14
On 5/5/2020 at 12:46 AM, Luke said:

Ok thanks for the feedback. Stay tuned for our upcoming revamped Hauppauge support which won't depend on WinTV anymore.

@Luke any updates on this?

I was using 4.1.1.0 for the longest time because it was the last version I knew worked perfectly with my WinTV QuadHD. Recently I finally upgraded to 4.4.3.0 in order to access some of the newer functionality. However, the old problem I had before came back immediately: as Emby starts using the QuadHD, it will hold on to one tuner and never release it. Once this happens, you can only tune to, or record, three shows at a time max.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
StrangledSyntax
On 4/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, Luke said:

Hi, at this point we haven't yet tested with WinTV 10. We can only say that WinTV 8.5 works.

Good news though - we are working on all-new hauppauge support which won't have any dependency on WinTV so pretty soon it won't matter anymore.

Any update on the all new support for these this?

Nothing other than win TV is no longer needed with the version in development.  This is already done.  Sorry but can't give an ETA on it's release as some parts are still missing and being coded as I type this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
earratia14

@cayars
Your last reply on this thread was from November 2020. Have you heard anything from the development team on where this is?

For me Emby has worked perfectly except for this one issue.

• Haha 1

You may want to read this 2 page thread.  Scroll down the first page to recent this week posts.

There is another method you can use with Hauppauge that just became available thanks to current ongoing work in Live TV
the team has been doing.

I honestly don't know when direct support will be available but the new framework used in that thread is likely
how direct Hauppauge support will be added as well. Changing the plugin framework however was a needed step.
The new framework actually makes it much easier to use several tools in a similar manner.

Take a look and I think you'll like it, especially since it's available now.

• Like 1

pwhodges

I have a Hauppauge in my Emby server that I'm not using at present because of the problems it caused; I got an HDHomeRun to use instead.

If I set up the Hauppauge as described in that other thread, does Emby see the two tuners as equivalent and just use whichever is free?  Obviously I'd have to enable the same channels on the two tuners, but do I have to do anything else special to enable that to happen?

Paul

5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

I have a Hauppauge in my Emby server that I'm not using at present because of the problems it caused; I got an HDHomeRun to use instead.

If I set up the Hauppauge as described in that other thread, does Emby see the two tuners as equivalent and just use whichever is free?  Obviously I'd have to enable the same channels on the two tuners, but do I have to do anything else special to enable that to happen?

Paul

No they'd be different. You'd have to merge channels, which is a feature that doesn't exist yet but is coming.

earratia14

Thanks @cayars
Yes, it is working perfectly as you and Luke described on that thread. Below is a direct link to your reply on said thread.

• Like 1

Paul you could try loading both tuners in NextPVR. Then merge the channel in NextPVR.

Emby would then get one set of channels but have the tuner count of both combined.

I'm not sure it would matter but you can set a priority for what tuner is used first.
Are these both OTA tuners or Cable?