Emby not seeing Hauppauge Tuners even though WinTV 10 works

fastcity
Go to solution Solved by arrbee99,

pwhodges

Thanks for the thought.  I only use OTA, so the channels would be the same; I'm normally OK for now, but occasionally another tuner would make life easier, and the Hauppauge is going to waste at present.

I may try out your idea, though I'm looking towards the time when I can do this without using an add-on.

Paul

emveepee

Until Emby allows merging If you don't need the tuner I don't recommend having supported tuners in NextPVR since you notably would increase the load for live TV and especially for recordings.  NextPVR writes a live TV buffer to disk and it has to read from from the buffer to stream to Emby.   It is even more dramatic on recordings. In the previous add-on NextPVR simply would write to disk and Emby would read it on demand.  Now for recordings you have NextPVR (as live tv) doing the same writing and reading and then Emby is writing, before the file is even viewed.

Martin

Shouldn't be any different during recording as NextPVR wouldn't know a recording is taking place.
This should improve IO not hurt it since you're now avoiding the write/read that used to take place.

emveepee

It is quite different.  In 4.7+ using a NextPVR tuner will always use extra write and read operations, which Emby direct tuners don't need.

Compared to the 4.6 plugin,  you are right there is no change in LIve TV but for recordings in 4.6 NextPVR is writing the recording directly to disk without the Live TV buffer and then it sends a notification to Emby when it is ready.  Same as an Emby  direct tuner one write operation. 

Perhaps you think NextPVR reads and streams directly from the tuner, with no I/O but live TV is designed to be timeshifted as it is with Emby.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

I'm not questioning there is overhead by NextPVR and that it may use disk to buffer. That's fine.
What I commented about is that when Emby records this doesn't get worse for NextPVR.
NextPVR should not change really as it's just feeding the channel to Emby doing what ever it does.

This little bit of extra overhead is far better than Hauppauge users deal with needing WinTV.

If a person has 2 tuners (same lineup) and one needs to use NextPVR they might as well move both.
That gives them stacking of channels so end users get one set of channels, not two.
That's a good tradeoff for a smidge more IO.

That's my thinking anyway.

pwhodges

I'd be arranging things so that this I/O was to/from an SSD.  While that doesn't reduce the actual amount of I/O in any way, the lack of dead time in the transfers compared with mechanical disks should help it run smoothly.

I'm not sure I'll have time to try this before next week, though.

Paul

When you get to it, you get to it.

We can use another person willing to try it and help testing. :)

pwhodges

Well, I've installed NextPVR itself and set up one Hauppauge tuner in it; but not added it to Emby, as it's now my bedtime.  

In any case, before adding it to Emby, I want to persuade it to display subtitles, which so far it's not doing.

Paul

emveepee

The NextPVR web app doesn't display DVB subtitles.  The web app is not the primary use client you need other clients for that.  The full ts stream will be forwarded to Emby.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

pwhodges

Hmm.  As far as I can see, no NextPVR clients (Windows, iOS, Android) even offers the possibility of viewing subtitles (this is UK DVB, of course).

But be that as it may, I got both my tuners defined in NextPVR, set up with the same channels, and merged channel by channel (with lots of mistakes on the way!).  I then set that up as my only tuner in Emby, and although I could play live TV through it, no recordings were able to be set up (the popup saying "recording scheduled" would appear, but nothing actually happened).  One of the attached logs should have the evidence, I hope (I was not being systematic...).

So I've gone back to my previous arrangement, and will wait until Emby can do the merging before using the Hauppauge again.

Paul

embyserver-63787964014.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by pwhodges

emveepee

I did say the addon was released before it was ready.  The channel merge doesn't actually work, and I see the same thing in your log Emby is not using the TMS mapped data it is still using the OTA EPG data from NextPVR.

One reason the matching can't work well is Emby seems to use the useless TMS shortname which does not match ie BBC One vs BBC1  so you have to make sure the channel numbers match exactly.

If you can PM me a link to sample recording I will check for subtitles.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

Well it's not released but in beta to work out any kinks like this. Got to get it tested to find unique issues like this. :)

emveepee, I need to look myself, but isn't Emby just passing the channel number to NextPVR for tuning, making anything guide related irrelevant to this issue?

emveepee

Not exactly it is a channel id, but it works the same way,  a channel number doesn't have to be unique.  His issue wasn't with live tv it was recordings and if there is no guide data I don't know how Emby is displaying scheduled recordings but this is far enough in the future that it wasn't even calling NextPVR

2022-05-12 14:57:27.999 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 4e05e5f1f0caa0be568eb4b84c5ba15b, Vera. Timer will fire in 301.53333641 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.021 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 00a7b3e921f069d35ce69aafb500e19a, Vera. Timer will fire in 4621.532976993333 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.041 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 1320e1a9a79074cb32e5af51e49e280e, Vera. Timer will fire in 4741.532640528333 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.061 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 428f125edbb706665fcc9a943fc55619, Vera. Timer will fire in 6061.532300761667 minutes

Since I also cannot get guide data I have no way to test this myself

Martin

pwhodges

I didn't describe everything I did, and I might not have got everything I said right (!).  But I can happily do another test, using a separate Emby install (I don't want to have to clear up the mess this experiment made of my recording schedules again...), and using my experience to do specific tests.

I'll send a link to a recently recorded TS file when I return from walking the dogs, who are on the case right now.

Paul

emveepee

Perhaps a moderator can clean up this thread and move things to the NextPVR sub forum too.

5 hours ago, emveepee said:

Not exactly it is a channel id, but it works the same way,  a channel number doesn't have to be unique.  His issue wasn't with live tv it was recordings and if there is no guide data I don't know how Emby is displaying scheduled recordings but this is far enough in the future that it wasn't even calling NextPVR

2022-05-12 14:57:27.999 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 4e05e5f1f0caa0be568eb4b84c5ba15b, Vera. Timer will fire in 301.53333641 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.021 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 00a7b3e921f069d35ce69aafb500e19a, Vera. Timer will fire in 4621.532976993333 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.041 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 1320e1a9a79074cb32e5af51e49e280e, Vera. Timer will fire in 4741.532640528333 minutes
2022-05-12 14:57:28.061 Info LiveTV: Creating recording timer for 428f125edbb706665fcc9a943fc55619, Vera. Timer will fire in 6061.532300761667 minutes

Since I also cannot get guide data I have no way to test this myself

Martin

Yea it's won't notify NextPVR about a recording. It will just self monitor when a recording is coming up and then just ask NextPVR to tune the channel.
On your guide thing.  Are you saying you can't get any Emby Guide data to load in Emby or that you can't get it to match your lineup.

Anyone in USA, Canada or the United Kingdom should be able to get a rich guide directly from Emby Server without needing an external guide source.

6 hours ago, emveepee said:

The channel merge doesn't actually work, and I see the same thing in your log Emby is not using the TMS mapped data it is still using the OTA EPG data from NextPVR.

Are you saying channel merge doesn't work in Emby when using NextPVR or just in NextPVR itself?

emveepee

Sorry I meant mapped not merged.    I already explained that Emby appears to map them with some success but even though they are mapped the EPG doesn't load.  Setting it to None and then setting it manually to  same Emby Source lineup as suggested by another does seem to work.

Note if channels are merged in NextPVR, Emby won't even know they are merged.   

Martin