Three-digit episode numbers not detected properly

sentience

sentience

One of the supported TV file naming conventions is:

• 02 Episode Name.ext

For a show that airs every weekday, the episode number often grows to three digits. For example:

/Some Show/Season 2/123 Some Title.m4v

Emby mis-identifies the file above as Some Show, Season 1 (even though it is in the Season 2 folder), Episode 23 (even though the filename has the number 123 in it).

Is it really not possible to support this format for three digit episode numbers?

Happy2Play

It is just a issue of knowing what only numbers are suppose to represent. (season\episode or episode or absolute)

@@Luke but this is reproducible.

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2020 at 5:29 AM, sentience said:

One of the supported TV file naming conventions is:

• 02 Episode Name.ext

@sentience

Where do you see this as being a supported format?

I know this isn't listed in our knowledge base as a supported format.  You can do 2x02 or S02E02 but there is a season and episode together.

We unofficially support other formats just to make it easier for someone to switch media servers but unless its officially supported format likely doesn't get much use or testing between versions. I would think if we passed 123 to the meta-data providers, we would get mixed and possibly different results depending on the meta-provider. I've never even thought to try it as I would always follow the naming convention. 

I'm trying to test this out, but I can't find a tv show with over 100 shows in a season that would be in our default meta-providers databases.

Can you tell me one of the shows you had a problem with?

Thanks,
Carlo

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, cayars said:

Where do you see this as being a supported format?

I know this isn't listed in our knowledge base as a supported format

Sure it is but lacks any context.

02 Episode Name.ext

You are correct of couse but it wasn't intentional as my notes for that page mentioned making sure all examples have season and episode numbers in them.  But it was like that on the original wiki as well.

Here nor there. I'm trying to test this for Luke but can't seem to find a valid show or two with 100+ episodes in a single season.  Any ideas?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, cayars said:

You are correct of couse but it wasn't intentional as my notes for that page mentioned making sure all examples have season and episode numbers in them.  But it was like that on the original wiki as well.

Here nor there. I'm trying to test this for Luke but can't seem to find a valid show or two with 100+ episodes in a single season.  Any ideas?

Appears to work for this example Season 61

image.thumb.png.d3598161e7f0f4b771f5a971cc598715.png

image.png.f7045c74b38b1813f43815b1d577e272.png

• Like 1

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

So is this no longer an issue?

From my test it worked.  But only tested TV content type with provider order TVDB, TMDB,.

• Thanks 1

But is it working?  Are we making an assumption or rule that if the season isn't listed in the name of the file but only episode number that one of two things will happen.
If no season folder is present, then it's the episode number from the beginning of the series, but if there are season folders and the file name only contains a single number the lookup will pull the season from the folder and the single number will be the episode number of that season?

Using IMDB "Today" started in 1952 so episode 123 would be episode 7 of year 1957 if going from the start.
1952 had 38 episodes
1953 had 11
1954 had 7
1955 had 46 which is 102 episodes thus far
1956 had 14 = 116 total
1957 had 18 = 134 total

If the folder is Season 61 that would be year 2012 (had 266 episodes) and episode 123 would have been "Episode dated 19 June 2012"

That would seem logical.

What happens if we get something like a show/season 5 that had 50 episodes that season, but file name is 62 blah, blah.strm?
To me it's not matchable based on bad input and we should NOT revert to the 62nd episode of the entire series.

Is that the same assumption you both are making?

If that is correct, I simple test is 123 in the root of the "Today" folder as well as a second test with a Season 2012 added then seeing how Plex, Kodi and Emby compare.
I've been looking for a good show with season numbers past 100 to test with and "Today" should work.

What do you guys think?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

If that is correct, I simple test is 123 in the root of the "Today" folder

This will not work as 123 is specific to Season 61 and is not an Absolute number.  TVDB does not have any alternate order for this Show.

{
            "id": 4084677,
            "seriesId": 70708,
            "name": "May 3, 2011",
            "aired": "2011-05-03",
            "runtime": 165,
            "overview": "Natalie Morales stars in a telenovela, actor Dick Van Dyke discusses his memoir, the latest contestant eliminated from ``American Idol'', Stevie Nicks performs, fitness-DVD star Kristi Yamaguchi, author Isaiah Washington, author Mika Brzezinski.",
            "isMovie": 0,
            "number": 123,
            "seasonNumber": 61,
            "lastUpdated": "2022-02-20 19:55:59"
        }

IMDB does not have an episode with this date.  So we cannot compare

There is an episode mismatch from TVDB to TMDB by 1 at least for Season 61 also as it would appear to be S61E124 there acording to "May 3, 2011" airdate.

Today/Season 61/123.mkv does not equal Today/123.mkv as how should it be interpted Season 1 Episode 23 or Episode 123.  Now "May 3, 2011.mkv" might but falls under different rule, would assume would have to be Today/May 3, 2011.mkv but no rules in WIKI so can only guess.  Does it work in Season folders?

But in the end if you are using numbers only in a Season folder it should reflect the episode number.  Outside a season folder it is really a guess and potentially could fall under Absolute instead of Aired.  So we are dependent on what order provider has and your media as these naming schemes change potential order.

This is why specific examples are needed as we might get different results.  

But so far OP issue cannot be confirmed as my Season with three digit episode fetched properly in my limited testing.

Since the WIKI doesn't really cover alternate orders the number episode naming scheme can be problematic do to what the provider expects.