Movie Extra Manual Edits Lost on Library Scan

KenR

Manual edits to Movie Extras are initially accepted but are lost on the next Library Scan. Specifically, I manually edited the Overview, Locked, and saved it. The changes remained until the next Library scan where it was replaced with the Overview for the parent movie.

I’m currently using version 4.4.0.40 of the server. I noticed a few versions ago that when I added a new Movie that had Extras to my collection that an NFO file was being added for the extras and the trailer. I actually prefer this but I don’t think it’s working correctly (or at least not how it did in the past where NFO files were not written).

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. I haven’t done a clean install in a long time so I’m not sure if this is a bug, data corruption issue, or just new default behavior.

Happy2Play

Hmm, that's strange. @@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

Yes, I clicked edit metadata on a Extra changed overview and locked it, verified nfo was updated.  Perform a library scan on that library and overview reverted to parent item overview while still remaining locked.

Only tested in 4.4.0.40

• 2 weeks later...

Still seems to be a problem in 4.4.1.  

Some additional information:

A few versions back, Emby did not save the overview of the parent movie to extras.  A couple of months back it started to do this.  Perhaps this was a desired feature that was added but it's not a feature that I like.  I do like having nfo files written to the extras folder which is also something that started a few months ago.

I don't know what the intended operation is suppose to be but I do know it changed a few months ago.

Overview, Community Rating, Parental Rating, Genres, and Studios all seem to be set from the parent movie.  There may be others but they are not populated.  People is the only one I know that was not from the parent movie because it had some set but were not set in the extras.

I have not tested to see of anything other than overview gets overwritten on scan after being manually changed and locked.

crusher11

Right, I just checked a couple of mine with custom titles (because colons aren't allowed in file names) and they're all fine, but it doesn't seem to prove much one way or the other regarding this issue.

Just did some additional testing.

Addition of new movie title with extras:  The extras do not inherit overview from the parent movie (it's empty) but any attempt to manual edit, locked or not, will be overwritten with the parent movie overview on next library scan.

@@Happy2Play are you still able to reproduce?

Yes

I generally make edits from the movie window not the Metadata Manager but I don't think it matters.  Step-by-step:

1. Find a movie with an extra.

2. Click the extras title to open the extra detail.

3 Click the 'More' button to expand choices.

4. Select 'Edit Metadata.

5. Manually edit the overview.

6. Lock the metadata.(near the bottom of the edit screen.)

7. Save

8. Return to the extra display screen.  The manually changed overview should be visible.  

9. Go to the 'Management Window'.

10 Select 'Library' and do a scan by clicking 'Scan Library Files'.

11. Go back to the movie and extra that you edited and check the manually edited overview.  I will contain the overview from the parent movie, not what you manually entered.  The meta data lock will still be checked.

PenkethBoy

yep can confirm this is happening on beta 4.5.0.4 as well - even with lockdata set for all metadata types - editing metadata in ui

however as a work around - if you edit the nfo - with lockdata set - the overview(only thing i checked quickly) does not get overwritten

yep can confirm this is happening on beta 4.5.0.4 as well - even with lockdata set for all metadata types - editing metadata in ui

however as a work around - if you edit the nfo - with lockdata set - the overview(only thing i checked quickly) does not get overwritten

Yes but No.

Initially it is changed but if you go back to the movie and then click on the extra title to view, then do another scan it gets clobbered.  At least in my testing.

Happy2Play

Not seeing any change in Version 4.5.0.6 beta

Are there certain conditions required because i edited the title of an extra, ran some library scans and it was preserved ok.

Happy2Play

Are there certain conditions required because i edited the title of an extra, ran some library scans and it was preserved ok.

I was only testing Overview edits

But I can confirm editing title is maintained.

Edited by Happy2Play

Ok I think i have this resolved now, thanks.

Not in the latest release version 4.4.2.0.  I have not tested any beta versions.

See post #12 for steps to reproduce.

I can't think of any specific conditions or requirements.  It appears to be a server issue since manually editing the <plot> tag in the NFO file also get's overwritten but, just in case...

Windows 10 system

Edits are generally made using Chrome Browser.

Most server settings are default except: Saving artwork and NFO files to library folders.

Hope that helps.

Xalactic

Just got my Emby Server (4.4.2.0) set up the other day and have noticed this same issue. In my case, there are a couple DVDs with video shorts that I'd like to be saved as "extras" under the main movie. If I save them as their own movies, they will get the correct metadata. However, as soon as I move them and even their respective .nfo files to the "extras" folder under the main movie, everything except for the title gets overwritten by the metadata of the parent movie.

Locking the metadata doesn't help either. If there's any additional information I can provide or anything I can test, let me know.

Thanks.