Trailers - stuttering - not working properly

hd4fun

hd4fun

OK

everything has been wonderful for a year (?)

But now trailers is not working after and upgrade (1.0.5281.20007 current)

Server upgraded as well - Version 3.0.5289.18702 currently

trailers stutters and will not play properly.

I used to have it cached to an SSD on the actual MB server

Now I don't know what is going on but the client can't keep up (its an old Atom)

(Can't remember how I set this up)

In MB Classic - 

Not to mention the trailers are not showing up on the main screen - (latest trailers)

It does not have coverart configured for the trailers like prior to the upgrade

can I back rev ?

in the server dashboard see the Channels section. You can have it use lower quality versions and/or setup ahead of time downloading.

• Like 1

hd4fun

Merci....

I owe you a beer.  - Whats' this channel things...

Bad day - came home and wanted to watch Guardians trailer and - frustration.

Will the coverart work again after the downlaods ?

Will they show up on the main MB Classic screen again ?

thanks again

breezytm

Luke i reached out for help and I have not gotten anything back. Clearly I am not the only one having issues with these plugins. Something changed and I am not sure where but I personally didn't make any manual changes to my server and client configs. Yes, fine trailers is now a channel. But why is it that its buffering so much and nearly unwatchable unless i change the resolution. But when I changed from best available to 720 it's watcheable but very pixelated. The same resolution it is on now is the same one it was on before you guys updated the plugin. Clearly something is messed up in the background. My CPU stays on 100% when using trailers now but before it wasn't like that. It used to play the trailers in full HD and no hickup. I have the same problem with all the video channels. Please take a look.

Thanks,

nothing is messed up. there is nothing to look into at the server level. mbc is the only client having an issue, and the only reason for that is that it's a decade old video player. the way it was streaming before was not really the right way to do it.

You'll have to wait for Ebr to return from vacation, but in the meantime, you can use the channel downloading capabilities to pre-download them.

I already made the change you suggested for bitrate.

breezy - check the settings for streaming in MBC.  Ensure your local streaming max bitrate is 30.

breezytm

ebr I changed the setting as you suggested but it didn't make any difference. I can't say I expected it to since the setting description states that it's for local use. From my understanding, and I could be wrong, the settings is to control the bitrate in my streaming from my local data that are on my local storage in my local network. 

I think there are two things that can be done to remedy the solution. I can also be wrong about that too. 

1. Direct play the stream from the remote server (vevo. vimeo, apple trailer server). I am going to try bringing up the remote server max bitrate settings to max to see if that fixes it. It just might work since Trailers server is remote not local.

2. Add a buffer cache settings. Here's the doc on how XBMC is doing it. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache . Plex does it as well but I could never find a documentation on how they are doing it. I think they are using xbmc concept as well. They just have a setting in their clients where you can tell how many megs you want to use for buffer. 

Thanks for the taking the time to help myself and other find a solution to this problem. 

That setting would have an effect because, with channels now, the item is actually being kind of double streamed - from apple to our server and then from our server to MBC.  The "local" part is the from MBC to our server.

I'm not sure why this isn't working now when it was before the change to channels but it must have something to do with that change.

breezytm

That setting would have an effect because, with channels now, the item is actually being kind of double streamed - from apple to our server and then from our server to MBC.  The "local" part is the from MBC to our server.

Oh i didn't know that. Sounds redundant but Im sure you guys have ya reasons for doing so. 

I'm not sure why this isn't working now when it was before the change to channels but it must have something to do with that change.

I agree. Before the latest trailers version was release, there was a time where there were two trailers. One in EHS and one in channels. I thought it was weird. I played one trailer from EHS and it played beautifully. I played the same trailer from the trailers in channels and it buffered constantly. I remember going to my server plugins to see why do I have two trailers plugin and when I got there I only saw one installed. I thought I was loosing it until I saw a post where you were talking to someone else about combining them both into one if i am not mistaken. 

@@Luke - why is the trailer playback via channels different than it was when it was a normal media folder?  What can I do differently to get it back to the way it was?

kkhan

I also checked and have seen exactly the same behaviour where previously I had no buffering problems (have a fast 50Mb/s internet connection)

DGMayor

1.  I do not pre-download the trailers, I stream them.

2.  I installed the dev release, was happy to see the unwatched trailers were now appearing on the EHS again.

3. Played the first trailer, and it looked like garbage.   Went into the playback settings and upped my remote network max  bitrate to 6 (I have 50mb down or about 6.5Mb/s) and it looked great again.

I know that doesn't answer the local, but I would think if the remote settings worked for me, the local would if you have pre-downloaded them..

breezytm

Please try with the dev version available now (188).

Do you have an ETA to when the fixes will be applied to beta and be pushed out? me and the girlfriend are in good terms right now. I don't want to change that :D

DGMayor

So you were running MBC remotely?

MBC remotely, no.  However changing the setting certainly changed my playback of the streamed trailer from extremely blocky and crappy looking to normal and clean... So I don't know what to tell you..

Do you have an ETA to when the fixes will be applied to beta and be pushed out? me and the girlfriend are in good terms right now. I don't want to change that :D

I need some folks to confirm it working better on the dev channel before any beta will go out.

DGMayor

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45741371/MBClassic-17201474f9ba9e332a4d2285820734c2386406.log

Go to the end.  The first one I tried to stream is Birdman.  You see in the log: 

2014-07-01 11:26:25.5572,Info,,Unable to access http://trailers.apple.com/movies/fox_searchlight/birdman/birdman-tlr1_a720p.m4v.   Will try to stream at 2000000bps.,1,Application

That one looked like crap.  Then I changed it (actually to 5MB not 6)

Subsequent trailers looked great:

2014-07-01 11:27:53.9673,Info,,Unable to access http://trailers.apple.com/movies/dreamworks/thehundredfootjourney/thehundredfootjourney-tlr1b_a720p.m4v.   Will try to stream at 5000000bps.,48,Worker thread for Play Action

It definitely had effect.

Okay, thanks.  You are not actually testing the new functionality.  You are streaming through channels just like before.

Not your fault - your local address range is one I didn't account for as local so MBC thinks you are remote.  Fixed for next release.

DGMayor

Okay, thanks.  You are not actually testing the new functionality.  You are streaming through channels just like before.

Not your fault - your local address range is one I didn't account for as local so MBC thinks you are remote.  Fixed for next release.

You know me, always have to be different.

Deihmos

I have not had any problems playing trailers. My only with is that it was possible to ff and rewind them in MBC.

Edited by Deihmos

breezytm

I always have both Local Network Max Bitrate and Remote to 40 Mb/s which is the max and also preferred internet stream quality to best available . (just to put that out there)

I tried streaming from Trailers and it works as it did before. At least to my opinion. Girlfriend says it used to be much clearer but I honestly can careless. It's clear enough. 

I also have Vimeo and Vevo. They didn't stream at all. Trailers started playback right away. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/827292/transcode-345e8c04-9246-436f-884e-f2f06a74f0a2.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/827292/transcode-60912bf1-050b-4b2c-9c8b-658bf5f93488.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/827292/transcode-a49000d2-9e26-4002-9409-ece66c61096c.txt

Edited by breezytm