Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

And in this case Emby can really "cook" and she ain't bad lookin' either. So we have the best of both worlds. There is no reason to try to make the Mona Lisa prettier. There is something called "Gilding the Lilly"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

pir8radio
9 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

Well we’d have to agree that the look of plex is something to be aspired to for any of that to be relevant

Lol

well emby works and I think it looks good.   It will morph over time.   I like that emby follows other web and media site trends.   My users can easily use my emby server, like they nan Netflix, Hulu, and do on.   It sounds like we all agree on the excellent support at least.  

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I think the Emby logo is fine.  As it's been pointed out, a company doesn't simply change its logo. I don't see anything about it's design that makes it look like it's from the 90s.  I mean... what are those design cues? It certainly doesn't have a drop shadow, and it isn't embossed.  THAT would make it look like it was from the 90s. I guess I just don't see that argument.

It's a simple, flat, 2 color logo. That's a fairly modern design cue.

With that said, I actually like the look of the green mobius play button that @dannymichel mocked up, but that doesn't mean I would change the Emby logo. One could easily argue that design is "tired" as well.  It's been done and is readily available in multiple forms in standard stock art.  Just do a google image search for "play button logo" and you'll find multiple instances.  So even if Emby did change it, someone would just say it's derivative and un-creative.

Edited by BAlGaInTl
Grammar is hard
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 10:38 AM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I understand that the flashy type of interface is desired by many people but I do not understand why people are willing to sacrifice, even slightly, performance to get pretty or flashy.

For me empty "eye candy" does nothing but produce the visual equivalent of a sugar high and a sugar high seems to always be followed by a sugar crash that has the same effect as a hangover after drinking bad booze and I don't need or want the headaches.

It isn't sacrifice performance to get pretty and flashy. It is utilize the part of the machine not doing anything at that moment. 

Think of music for example. There were Music Visualizations that could appear. When WinAMP was on Windows it didn't just give an interface. It had cool animations, effects and other things it could display. Now the Roku doesn't get low level access to time anything to the music or to the beat or to any certain frequency playing. But we do have lots of extra CPU/GPU time just sitting there doing absolutely nothing. We can utilize those to animate and keep a user entertained while on these mostly static "music/now playing" screens. Just as WinAMP did with users of its music player. Imagine what is possible... lol.

These fades, transitions, and effects you so hate do not really eat up any more time than normal. They are actually "filling the gap" while background tasks complete themselves. They can also run as "idle animations" to show that the unit is still aware that you aren't doing anything so it wants to have fun and play around. These little "idle animations" are needed for that charm & whimsy factor. The younger you are the higher your charm and whimsy factor is.

The most common and overused type of idle animation is the screen saver. There are other types of idle animations. The logo can bounce and dance after so long a period. The box arts can spin and zoom/shrink and dance around. Spotlights can dance in and spin around. Etc.. The imagination is the limit. A limitless imagination is required.

The merging of video games into video/music browsing/playing is inevitable. Mixing the two is where the future is headed. Gamify it! YouTube is the best at Gamification with their browsing methods.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
23 minutes ago, speechles said:

It isn't sacrifice performance to get pretty and flashy. It is utilize the part of the machine not doing anything at that moment. 

Think of music for example. There were Music Visualizations that could appear. When WinAMP was on Windows it didn't just give an interface. It had cool animations, effects and other things it could display. Now the Roku doesn't get low level access to time anything to the music or to the beat or to any certain frequency playing. But we do have lots of extra CPU/GPU time just sitting there doing absolutely nothing. We can utilize those to animate and keep a user entertained while on these mostly static "music/now playing" screens. Just as WinAMP did with users of its music player. Imagine what is possible... lol.

These fades, transitions, and effects you so hate do not really eat up any more time than normal. They are actually "filling the gap" while background tasks complete themselves. They can also run as "idle animations" to show that the unit is still aware that you aren't doing anything so it wants to have fun and play around. These little "idle animations" are needed for that charm & whimsy factor. The younger you are the higher your charm and whimsy factor is.

The most common and overused type of idle animation is the screen saver. There are other types of idle animations. The logo can bounce and dance after so long a period. The box arts can spin and zoom/shrink and dance around. Spotlights can dance in and spin around. Etc.. The imagination is the limit. A limitless imagination is required.

The merging of video games into video/music browsing/playing is inevitable. Mixing the two is where the future is headed. Gamify it! YouTube is the best at Gamification with their browsing methods.

I don't use "screensavers" except for those that simply blank the screen because, if I am not using whatever device/app I do not "watch" it.

I do not need or want "gaps" to be filled. If a program or device is idle it should just be allowed to be idle.

I detest music "visualizations" because if I am listening to music I do not desire to watch some artificial creation of people or machines.

It may be inevitable but that does not make it good. YouTube is a good example of what I believe is not needed on computers. All the fluff is fine for those that want it BUT it should not be forced on those of us that do not want it. It seems that "modern" programming is specifically aimed at forcing us to buy more and more powerful hardware just to do what as perfectly able to be done on the earlier hardware just to add fluff to the interface.

BTW: I think video games peaked with games like Packman and Asteroids (those were fun) and the such along with the strategy and problem solving games of the same era. It seems that programmers stopped trying to make challenging games. For example there seems to be no computer game of "Go" that is worth a damn probably because "Go" does not lend itself to flashy graphics and so does not interest programmers even though it is said to be the most challenging board game to master there is.

But all of that has little to do with Emby. I just hope against hope that Emby does not go the "Plex" direction where the ability to simply play media files gets lost in the race to be prettier that the competition.

[Soapbox mode]

Always remember to ask the right question: Do not ask if something "can" be done but rather ask if it "should" be done.

[/Soapbox mode]

42 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I don't use "screensavers" except for those that simply blank the screen because, if I am not using whatever device/app I do not "watch" it.

I do not need or want "gaps" to be filled. If a program or device is idle it should just be allowed to be idle.

I detest music "visualizations" because if I am listening to music I do not desire to watch some artificial creation of people or machines.

You do not understand what the screen saver is used for. It isn't used to blank the screen to keep from burn-in as nobody has CRT or plasma(a few do) anymore. The screen saver is used to discover new content you might want to watch. It acts sort of like random. It can display an overview. It can Talk. Yes, it can speak the overview and other things about the item to you. The Roku has a voice and the screen saver can use it. It can bounce logos, artwork, and other things on and off screen. Offer the ability to play directly from the screen saver (same as Roku official screen saver does). It is meant to complement your viewing and browsing it isn't meant to replace it... and it can be disabled. It isn't there yet. But when one does become standard it will be something you might use if only once. It will be useful.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

You do not understand what the screen saver is used for. It isn't used to blank the screen to keep from burn-in as nobody has CRT or plasma(a few do) anymore. The screen saver is used to discover new content you might want to watch. It acts sort of like random. It can display an overview. Bounce logos and artwork on screen. Offer the ability to play directly from the screen saver (same as Roku official screen saver does). It is meant to complement your viewing and browsing it isn't meant to replace it... and it can be disabled. It isn't there yet. But when one does become standard it will be something you might use if only once. It will be useful.

I do understand "screensavers" in general and I understand what you are saying some screensavers are designed to do.  However that purpose is not wanted by me as I can find what I want to watch all by myself and machines, no matter how cleverly designed, have no place for me in making suggestions.

I just want Emby to help me browse and play my media. I know most of what I have in my library and I can make my own decisions and find media I want to vied as long as the program I am using does not get in the way.

• Like 1

pwhodges
9 minutes ago, speechles said:

The screen saver is used to discover new content you might want to watch. It acts sort of like random. 

I can do that without a screen-saver, thank you.

I don't mind having multiple sources of information - that's necessary to keep abreast of things.  But I hate having it shoved in my face; I do everything I can to avoid or suppress advertising.  And I know better what I'm really interested in, and where I'm likely to find it, than an algorithm from Google, Amazon, or any other site purporting to offer me things I'll want.

Paul

12 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I can do that without a screen-saver, thank you.

I don't mind having multiple sources of information - that's necessary to keep abreast of things.  But I hate having it shoved in my face; I do everything I can to avoid or suppress advertising.  And I know better what I'm really interested in, and where I'm likely to find it, than an algorithm from Google, Amazon, or any other site purporting to offer me things I'll want.

Paul

The present Roku screen saver is advertising Media outside your Emby library. It suggests (by scrolling by posters of) Media from any Roku app that participates as a Roku partner. This Roku screen saver appears while you are idle within the Emby app. We must change this.

Emby must have its own screen saver on Roku to suggest items within your Emby library and keep you within Emby. That is all this screen saver is. It is not an agenda. It is to help constrain your choices to within Emby when the screen saver kicks in. Simply all it is. Not anything greater.

Basically I am with you on this. I do not want Roku suggesting items outside of Emby when inside Emby on the screen saver. We are trying to help you and feel exactly the same way. You hit the wrong button on that screen saver and whisked out of Emby into whatever media from whatever application Roku was advertising on that screen saver at the time. You can also just turn off the screen saver and be bother free. This allows choice. As is even having those partner buttons on the remote is a PITA. Ever hit the netflix/amazon/vudu button by accident and immediately whisked out of Emby as you shout curses at it. It happens too often.. lol.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
Just now, speechles said:

The present Roku screen saver is advertising Media outside your Emby library. It suggest Media from any Roku app that participates as a Roku partner.

Emby must have its own screen saver on Roku to suggest items within your library and keep you within Emby. That is all this screen saver is. It is not an agenda. It is to help constrain your choices to within Emby when the screen saver kicks in. Simply all it is. Not anything greater.

For me the only good thing about Roku's screensaver is that it can be turned off or replaced with something less intrusive. Roku has absolutely no idea about what I watch or want to watch and I wish to keep it that way.

I actually do use one of the third party screensavers for Roku, a picture screensaver pointing at a library of my granddaughters' photos. I find it soothing to glimpse, from time to time, photos of my favorite relatives. But that screensaver simply displays photos and otherwise stays out of the way and that is what I want.

This kind of points to why Roku is still my favorite player. The only other player that stays out of the way as well is my Shield and that required a LOT of customization to get it to work as I want.

Again I do NOT want any machine to "help" me find content to watch or listen to.

The screen saver isn't going to over-ride the Roku system default unless you change the setting in the app to "Emby Screen Saver" from "Default". If you choose Emby screen saver it keeps you inside the Emby ecosystem of your libraries when helping you discover content. If you choose not to enable the Emby screen saver you do nothing different and nothing changes for you. It is entirely opt-in. There is nothing in your face. This is entirely optional. I am just describe how it is different than just turning your screen blank. This screen saver will carry context and allow decisions. Not just something to make your screen dim. Colorful, attractive, and enticing.

Edited by speechles

It is only

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

BTW: I think video games peaked with games like Packman and Asteroids (those were fun) and the such along with the strategy and problem solving games of the same era.

I know when you say Packman you really mean the ported and rebranded Atari American Pac-Man version of the Namco Japan Puckman. Easy mistake combine the both. Ms. Pac-Man is actually the best game ever. Namco nailed the home run with that rebrand and better mazes. Robotron is a close second. Star wars arcade with special flight yoke is 3rd.

Edited by speechles

Chyron
On 6/19/2020 at 11:06 AM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

BTW: I think video games peaked with games like Packman and Asteroids (those were fun) and the such along with the strategy and problem solving games of the same era. It seems that programmers stopped trying to make challenging games.

You have got to be joking.

Video games peaked with Pac-Man and Asteroids?!

Video games are not just casual time wasters. They can tell interactive stories, immersing the player into the role of the protagonist in a story that is deep and thought-provoking. And if you think it's all about flashy graphics, you obviously know nothing about the rise in popularity of retro-inspired pixel art in modern games. One could even say pixel art is overused at this point. I won't even get into the subject of challenge, because that accusation is almost trolling.

Seriously, you have to be joking.

Edited by Chyron

dannymichel
Just now, Chyron said:

You have got to be joking.

Video games peaked with Pac-Man and Asteroids?!

Video games are not just casual time wasters. They can tell interactive stories, immersing the player into the role of the protagonist. And if you think it's all about flashy graphics, you obviously know nothing about the rise in popularity of retro-inspired pixel art in modern games. One could even say pixel art is overused at this point.

Seriously, you have to be joking.

lol dude @Chyron that dude has been on some serious nonsense this entire thread. just dont pay attention.

Chyron
5 minutes ago, dannymichel said:

lol dude @Chyron that dude has been on some serious nonsense this entire thread. just dont pay attention.

I'd still be interested in seeing that mock-up you considered making.

BAlGaInTl
On 6/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, speechles said:

The present Roku screen saver is advertising Media outside your Emby library. It suggests (by scrolling by posters of) Media from any Roku app that participates as a Roku partner. This Roku screen saver appears while you are idle within the Emby app. We must change this.

Emby must have its own screen saver on Roku to suggest items within your Emby library and keep you within Emby. That is all this screen saver is. It is not an agenda. It is to help constrain your choices to within Emby when the screen saver kicks in. Simply all it is. Not anything greater.

Basically I am with you on this. I do not want Roku suggesting items outside of Emby when inside Emby on the screen saver. We are trying to help you and feel exactly the same way. You hit the wrong button on that screen saver and whisked out of Emby into whatever media from whatever application Roku was advertising on that screen saver at the time. You can also just turn off the screen saver and be bother free. This allows choice. As is even having those partner buttons on the remote is a PITA. Ever hit the netflix/amazon/vudu button by accident and immediately whisked out of Emby as you shout curses at it. It happens too often.. lol.

Sounds like a good idea for a plug-in then. Not a core Emby feature.  It sounds like that would have to tie in to every platform that Emby clients run on however.  I'm not sure that's so easy, or if it could even be done. Then it would have to be updated every time Roku pushes a more invasive patch.

One of the reason that Roku are such a great value is because you agree to get all kinds of Roku partner stuff pushed on you.  I'm not saying it's bad, just part of their business model. By default everything is front and center, and most people will leave it that way, which makes Roku a bunch of money (power of the default).

Chyron
On 6/19/2020 at 11:06 AM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

For example there seems to be no computer game of "Go" that is worth a damn probably because "Go" does not lend itself to flashy graphics and so does not interest programmers

https://store.steampowered.com/app/468160/Ancient_Go/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264970/The_Conquest_of_Go/

First one released in 2017. Second one still in production and planned to release this year. And that's just searching one game store for one platform.
...You were saying?

Seriously, if packaging didn't matter, then marketing isn't actually a thing. You might as well complain about the "flashy art" on a book cover and insist that it's not necessary to spend any money ever on any marketing for anything so long as the process of finding it among one's possessions is given priority and isn't reduced whatsoever. So, do you have a card file for objects located in your house and pay no mind at all to the aesthetic of things you furnish it with? I suppose that's why you like Go, because the designer didn't spend any effort on a pointless aesthetic like meeples.

Technology is advancing regardless of game development. I don't even know why you bring it up since you haven't played a video game in 35 years. It would seem a moot point to complain about something for which you have no interest.

Edited by Chyron

Chyron

@Gilgamesh Come to think of it, do you only watch black & white movies/shows from 75+ years ago? I mean, if "flashy graphics" aren't important in games, media server frontends, or in forum software, then It obviously shouldn't be important in movies and shows. So why is color television necessary to watch anything? After all, using color doesn't improve the runtime in any way. I suppose you think movies peaked with The Great Train Robbery.

Maybe Emby should optimize their UI for small black & white CRT TVs...

Edited by Chyron
  • Haha 1

pwhodges

That's a silly comparison.  Realism and flashiness are not the same thing, even if they use some of the same technology.

Paul

Gilgamesh_48
22 minutes ago, Chyron said:

@Gilgamesh Come to think of it, do you only watch black & white movies/shows from 75+ years ago? I mean, if "flashy graphics" aren't important in games, media server frontends, or in forum software, then It obviously shouldn't be important in movies and shows. So why is color television necessary to watch anything? After all, using color doesn't improve the runtime in any way. I suppose you think movies peaked with The Great Train Robbery.

Maybe Emby should optimize their UI for small black & white CRT TVs...

There is a huge difference between flashy graphics in the interface and realistic graphics and color in the content. I, for one, watch my media not my interface. The interface only needs to be functional enough to allow media to be watched to be found and played easily.

I do like older B&W movies like "The Maltese Falcon" or The Thin Man series or "Casablanca." But I also like "Avatar" and "Braveheart" and many of the Star Wars movies.

I just do not see the need of flashy graphics in the interface.

dannymichel

Ummmmm guys.....

Professional design in no way implies 'flashy'. In fact, a lot of the time professional designer's job is to strip things down as minimal as possible while still being effective and elegant.

I give you Apple vs.Microsoft once upon a time as an example

I've run teams of designers who's jobs were just that. Placement, spacing, elegance in subtlety based on user habit and interaction etc.

lmao some of these responses

Chyron
13 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

There is a huge difference between flashy graphics in the interface and realistic graphics and color in the content.

No there isn't. The interface is part of the content. It's part of the experience.

You yourself said Pac-Man, which is literally 40 years old, was the height of gaming and that newer titles than that are unnecessarily flashy and lack challenge. You also said in another thread that you hate popup animations in forums (specifically this one) because it wastes milliseconds of your time navigating threads. I, for one, think such a stance is completely ridiculous.

A crappy menu does affect one's appreciation of an experience. The media content itself is only a part of that.

Edited by Chyron

Gilgamesh_48
10 minutes ago, Chyron said:

No there isn't. The interface is part of the content. It's part of the experience.

You yourself said Pac-Man, which is literally 40 years old, was the height of gaming and that newer titles than that are unnecessarily flashy and lack challenge. You also said in another thread that you hate popup animations in forums (specifically this one) because it wastes milliseconds of your time navigating threads. I, for one, think such a stance is completely ridiculous.

A crappy menu does affect one's appreciation of an experience. The media content itself is only a part of that.

I know I have somehow offended you and you are trying to pick a fight so I am dropping this now.