Confession from a Former Jellyfin User

dannymichel

Deathsquirrel

I'd suggest you catch more flies with honey but honestly, who wants flies?!?

You win more converts with compelling arguments.  That's better.

'You all suck, I know, I'm an internet expert' isn't a compelling argument.  If you have good design ideas the team will listen.  You might want to back them up with some before & after screens showing the improvement.  Your screenshot showing your own personal tweaks hasn't been well received but that could be an attitude thing...

• Like 9

dannymichel

I'd suggest you catch more flies with honey but honestly, who wants flies?!?

You win more converts with compelling arguments.  That's better.

'You all suck, I know, I'm an internet expert' isn't a compelling argument.  If you have good design ideas the team will listen.  You might want to back them up with some before & after screens showing the improvement.  Your screenshot showing your own personal tweaks hasn't been well received but that could be an attitude thing...

lol im not concerned.

this whole thread has just been people taking things personally and lashing out.

they know im right

ive also listed the things that need to be changed and why

the "If you have good design ideas the team will listen" thing isnt actually true. so far the most basic obvious issues have been denied. i  doubt more nuanced ideas would be embraced

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

what it looks like to me is that you have shared some opinions - with little to no backup that things are off trend

how about some facts on why you think x should be changed to y - examples would be good - you may get people to agree with you

You think your design ideas are good and "correct" - but so far most people have disagreed with you - and they have not lashed out but given their opinions why they disagree

Anybody can claim experience in x field - how about you link to your award winning website - if its so on trend it should be obvious - should it not?

• Like 7

dannymichel

what it looks like to me is that you have shared some opinions - with little to no backup that things are off trend

how about some facts on why you think x should be changed to y - examples would be good - you may get people to agree with you

You think your design ideas are good and "correct" - but so far most people have disagreed with you - and they have not lashed out but given their opinions why they disagree

Anybody can claim experience in x field - how about you link to your award winning website - if its so on trend it should be obvious - should it not?

lol um dude, did you read the first post. it's all there

"how about you link to your award winning website"  ahhahahahh predictable af

this is claaaasic 

Dibbes

"how about you link to your award winning website"  ahhahahahh predictable af

this is claaaasic 

All in all you're fairly new here and you still haven't shown us anything of substance... if this is how you got your projects for your award winning websites or whatever, then I wonder how... I would definitely not hire you on what I've seen here

• Like 3

pir8radio

I mean stats alone prove that emby.media is, by far, more popular than other sites out there.   Site A has no real traffic stats, its not all that popular. Site B gets lots of traffic.    Site A is an ok design for what it does, but its not a media site.    Site B has a respectable following, and actually outranks the next most popular media server, I forget its name....   hex?    something like that...    point is there are A LOT of emby users and the product seems to be keeping them happy, plus the emby team listens to the votes of the majority.

SITE A

5e374faedb186_Screenshotfrom202002021634

SITE B:

5e374fdc2b193_Screenshotfrom202002021634

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Hey how did you get a picture of my house?

Sorry dude, didn't mean anything by it...   I'm sure your guests love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

arrbee99

Well, I do definitely agree with point No 5.

and the EMBY (in words) looks quite decent.

Edited by arrbee99

pir8radio

I might be able to get on board with an emby logo change to words only, or loose the green..   but you don't like the smaller menu icons?  When you have a bunch of selections, I dont want to scroll left and right, and if they were all large I would end up having to scroll down?   Some people have a ridiculous amount of library's. 

5e3753e2b20d2_Screenshotfrom202002021656

Edited by pir8radio

Gilgamesh_48

For me not even one of the "points" matter at all. I only use the interface to select media to watch or I use the web interface only to maintain my library and "pretty" matters very little but functionality matters a lot and Emby is very functional.

I "watch" my media I do not "watch" the interface. In fact as long as the interface is easy to use, as it is, the appearance of the interface is virtually meaningless to me.

I think Emby should not waste development time and resources making Emby "prettier" they should spend their resources improving and enhancing the functionality.

• Like 8

arrbee99

I might be able to get on board with an emby logo change to words only, or loose the green..   but you don't like the smaller menu icons?  When you have a bunch of selections, I dont want to scroll left and right, and if they were all large I would end up having to scroll down?   Some people have a ridiculous amount of library's. 

Personally, I watch stuff on a big screen, either a TV or a PC, so for me My Media, even enlarged to match the other thumbs fits fine, no scrolling required. And to me it just looks weird having two sizes of thumbs, as it would otherwise be.

I have 13 libraries, so they all fit without scrolling, with space for two more if i feel the urge...

arrbee99

For me not even one of the "points" matter at all. I only use the interface to select media to watch or I use the web interface only to maintain my library and "pretty" matters very little but functionality matters a lot and Emby is very functional.

I "watch" my media I do not "watch" the interface. In fact as long as the interface is easy to use, as it is, the appearance of the interface is virtually meaningless to me.

I think Emby should not waste development time and resources making Emby "prettier" they should spend their resources improving and enhancing the functionality.

Functionality is of course the most important, but eye candy is pretty important to me as well. I like it to look attractive (IMO) otherwise I'd just use DLNA or whatever its called, or just plug a hdd into the TV.

Its important for first impressions, it should appeal, it should draw people in, etc, etc...

• Like 1

pir8radio

Personally, I watch stuff on a big screen, either a TV or a PC, so for me My Media, even enlarged to match the other thumbs fits fine, no scrolling required. And to me it just looks weird having two sizes of thumbs, as it would otherwise be.

I have 13 libraries, so they all fit without scrolling, with space for two more if i feel the urge...

Right...  but for everyone else who uses it on their tablets, and phones, a PIP window on their desktop, or on a laptop goofy wall mount touch screens, via app or browser on these devices blah blah...  it makes a little sense no?  I only defend emby because I know what it feels like to think all of this stuff through, weigh the different options, and come up with one that you hope will cover 90% of the users, then have the 4 people out there who are just devastated that you didn't do it in a way that accommodates them.  Gotta think of the big picture, think of others, is what I assume they are doing.  I would think us as users should have that mindset too...  no?   I got this $hit running on a raspberry pie with a built in LCD screen behind a clear glass tile in my shower...   I like the little buttons, im not removing that tile lol

Edited by pir8radio

arrbee99

Yes, this is true. On a phone it does allow you fit two My Media items at the top, and thats pretty useful for Movies and TV (or whatever).

But still, two different sizes, thats doing my OCD head in, runs away screaming.

pir8radio

Yes, this is true. On a phone it does allow you fit two My Media items at the top, and thats pretty useful for Movies and TV (or whatever).

But still, two different sizes, thats doing my OCD head in, runs away screaming.

yea I can't deny the OCD part...  there ARE a few emby icons (different between two places) and crap that throws my ocd off......  I understand.....   If you need a hug....

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Thanks for the offer, but I'll make do with stuffing myself with chocy biccies and a nice lie down (too recover from the chocy biccies...)

• 3 weeks later...
rechigo

I don't agree with many of your replies to this thread, but I certainly agree with your OP. Jellyfin is an absolute mess compared to Emby. I find it hilarious how they directly critisize Luke for writing code that can't perform, yey their "improvements" to his "slow code" seem to be nonexistent

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
dannymichel

i've improved my css cleanup and it's tolerable

i just wish there was a way to run your own css on the mobile apps etc.

again, emby is great, but it's gross looking by default.

again... it functions amazingly IT EVEN OUTPERFORMS PLEX

YHB6og2.png

Edited by dannymichel

• 3 months later...

Hey,

For what it's worth, I agree 100% with everything that dannymichel said in this thread (except maybe that Emby was the ugliest software out there, there is definitely much worse). It indeed outperforms Plex and works well, but it's also true that the design feels outdated.

So I am super glad I found this topic with the nice css, thanks!!! Too bad we canmt apply this to TV / Mobile apps though yes.

Chyron

I also agree that 1) Emby's app UI looks outdated; and 2) I wish CSS customizations could be used on the dedicated (read:non-web) apps.
For what it's worth, I really like Google's Material Design design language.

The UI design flaws I see in Emby right off the bat are:

• The ability to resize the images should be an option. Some apps have images that are far too big for the screen real estate.
  • The Play/Shuffle/Sort/Filter toolbar makes the top feel cluttered. It should be put in a single options menu somewhere at the top or in the sidebar.
  • The "My Media" section on the home screen scrolls horizontally. Menu options should not overflow sideways.
  • The menu bar at the top overflows sideways on mobile, causing the user to scroll horizontally. Again, this is bad design.
  • If design differs between apps, then UI settings should not forcibly transfer. For example, the Roku app interface requires certain UI changes to be made on the web app, but the web app doesn't look or function like the Roku app, so the choice is to make one or the other look bad.
  • "Next Up" should use posters, not thumbs. Thumbs take up too much horizontal space.
  • "Continue Watching" should show a thumb of the video (ie. a screengrab), to distinguish one episode of a series from another. Or else it should be using posters, not thumbs.

In general, Emby just looks...old. It runs well, but it's not very pretty.

Edited by chyron8472

Chyron

On 2/2/2020 at 5:00 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I only use the interface to select media to watch or I use the web interface only to maintain my library and "pretty" matters very little

I don't agree with this at all. The "don't judge a book by its cover" approach doesn't sit well with me, because in my view appearance is marketing. We're not using the software solely to access files. If library selection was all that mattered, one might as well not use a GUI whatsoever, but stick to a text interface or use a file server. 

Yes, functionality should not take a back seat to aesthetic; but aesthetic should also have a high priority. This is a media server. The quality of the media files isn't the only focus. The server software is also media, and so its appearance matters.

Edited by chyron8472

pwhodges

What does "ugly" or "pretty" even mean here?  I presume it relates to some people's view of fashion in interfaces.

Paul

• Like 3