Confession from a Former Jellyfin User

dannymichel

pwhodges
10 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I think there should be three modes:

1: What we see now
2: A small picture mode
3. A minimalist mode that is almost all text.

1: I'm perfectly happy with the present picture sizes.  My iPhone is an SE, though, which has a rather small screen.

2: Small pictures are usually neither one thing nor the other - too small to be properly recognisable, let alone readable, but still taking up space.

3: We have that option on the main page - perhaps something similar could be spread to other places.  However, a text list mode should show whole titles; I often have different versions of things with the same name (e.g. different films of the same play) which pictures help identify, but which need the full name to distinguish.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

14 hours ago, chyron8472 said:

Yes, I can.

tt7qKtK.png

That's the mobile app.  You said the TV app sizes were all wrong.  Any examples there?  But, as others have pointed out, those sizes are pretty standard in mobile as well...

Different size options are a definite possibility for the future though.

Chyron

51 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's the mobile app.  You said the TV app sizes were all wrong.  Any examples there?  But, as others have pointed out, those sizes are pretty standard in mobile as well...
Different size options are a definite possibility for the future though.

I said "TV/mobile" apps. I'll post an example from my TV later today.

Anyway, for one thing, the alphabet on the side in Emby's mobile app is near useless. Am I supposed to tap that with a stylus? Who uses a stylus?? Additionally, did you see how the home screen images are so big that only 1.5 items are visible per row and how only 2.1 rows are visible? THIS is what I mean by "made for a web browser." The alphabet on the side is very obviously designed for use with a mouse.

Also, did you see my screenshot of Plex for Android? 9 images (3x3) is a 12.5% increase in the number of viewable items. The items in Emby are too big. And no, it's not standard. Here's a couple screenshots of Google Play Movies on mobile:

8sL7ZtTl.jpg  Mj3CaGul.jpg

As you can see, the both the rectangular and square posters are much smaller than Emby and yet still reasonably sized. So no, 2 items per row is not "pretty standard."

Edited by chyron8472

Spaceboy

I said "TV/mobile" apps. I'll post an example from my TV later today.

Anyway, for one thing, the alphabet on the side in Emby's mobile app is near useless. Am I supposed to tap that with a stylus? Who uses a stylus?? Additionally, did you see how the home screen images are so big that only 1.5 items are visible per row and how only 2.1 rows are visible? THIS is what I mean by "made for a web browser." The alphabet on the side is very obviously designed for use with a mouse.

Also, did you see my screenshot of Plex for Android? 9 images (3x3) is a 12.5% increase in the number of viewable items. The items in Emby are too big. And no, it's not standard. Here's a couple screenshots of Google Play Movies on mobile:
8sL7ZtTl.jpg  Mj3CaGul.jpg
As you can see, the both the rectangular and square posters are much smaller than Emby and yet still reasonably sized. So no, 2 items per row is not "pretty standard."

Alpha picker works perfectly for me on iOS. Perhaps you have oversized fingers?

Chyron
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

Alpha picker works perfectly for me on iOS. Perhaps you have oversized fingers?

I think it's a bad design choice. It doesn't look professional--at least the way it is currently implemented. There is subsequently all of this screen real estate not being used on the right. Even on the left side of the screen there is also a large amount of padding. I think @dannymichel is right about it needing to have the eye of a professional designer.

Look, I'm not trying to nitpick, and I'm not saying Emby sucks. I'm saying there are several design choices, primarily affecting TV and mobile, that make it look rough around the edges and not as good compared to other functionally similar apps as it could look. Having large posters (and text, if you look at the home screen), and an inability to adjust them (be it in a zoom setting or in css) is not ideal.

Edited by chyron8472

pir8radio

I mean plex isn't a good comparison, most of you guys (emby users) are ex-plexers...   if plex was so great....... well...    this is emby...  Its different.   lol   why do we need two plexes?  Its like buying a Ferrari and gluing a Volkswagen emblem to the hood because YOU liked the W look.. to each their own I guess. 😄

• Like 4

dannymichel

I dunno if i'd say that bro. A lot of us use both i'd say. Can't imagine if there is much of a way of finding out that approximate figure

pir8radio
28 minutes ago, dannymichel said:

I dunno if i'd say that bro. A lot of us use both i'd say. Can't imagine if there is much of a way of finding out that approximate figure

disregard this post lol.   but yea no real way to know that plex and emby keep their user stats secret...   🙂 

Edited by pir8radio

Chyron
13 hours ago, pir8radio said:

I mean plex isn't a good comparison, most of you guys (emby users) are ex-plexers...   if plex was so great....... well...    this is emby...  Its different.   lol   why do we need two plexes?  Its like buying a Ferrari and gluing a Volkswagen emblem to the hood because YOU liked the W look.. to each their own I guess. 😄

Competition frequently borrows ideas from each other. Art begets art. Do you think that the whole smartphone/tablet industry should have been like "Why do we need touchscreens just because Apple uses them? We should keep using physical keyboards. Because." I hate Apple but it's not because iPhone touchscreens suck. I hate Apple because their products are overpriced and their software is stuck behind a walled garden of only-Apple-can-work-well-with-more-Apple.

We can look at what people are doing, say "I like that" and take inspiration from it. Just because "they" are doing something and you don't like "them" that doesn't mean part and parcel everything they do is trash.

Edited by chyron8472

dannymichel
3 minutes ago, chyron8472 said:

Competition frequently borrows idea from each other. Art begets art. Do you think that the whole smartphone/tablet industry should have been like "Why do we need touchscreens just because Apple uses them? We should keep using physical keyboards. Because." I hate Apple but it's not because iPhone touchscreens suck. I hate Apple because their products are overpriced and their software is stuck behind a walled garden of only-Apple-can-work-well-with-more-Apple.

We can look at what people are doing, say "I like that" and take inspiration from it. Just because "they" are doing something and you don't like "them" that doesn't mean part and parcel everything they do is trash.

i couldn't have said that better myself. 👏

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Well we’d have to agree that the look of plex is something to be aspired to for any of that to be relevant

• Like 2

Chyron

Case in point with OP referencing Jellyfin. Jellyfin did not fork from Emby because Emby was terrible. Jellyfin forked because Emby closed off the code to their server core (for financial reasons). That doesn't mean that people who use Jellyfin think Emby is altogether trash.

It just happens that the Jellyfin devs don't deliver near as good support as the Emby devs, but then neither does Plex.

I didn't adopt Emby because the Plex software is bad. I adopted Emby because the Plex devs implemented Plex News (which was mandatory initially); Tidal; changed their privacy policy to be able to sell our usage data forcibly and without our consent; and updated their Android app to an unusable, broken mess (ie. Plex for Android v7)---all while ignoring bug reports, leaving certain platforms to unceremoniously die, and wholesale ignoring the feature request forum section.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, chyron8472 said:

It just happens that the Jellyfin devs don't deliver near as good support as the Emby devs, but then neither does Plex.

I know of very few companies that come close. Emby does an exemplary job in the support department. I just hope that as they grow that does not change. The only company that I know of the got big and retained good support, at least from my point of view, is Amazon. Most companies have their customer service degrade when they get big. As an example we have Roku. I have had Rokus since it was called "The Netflix Player" (N1000) and from then until a couple of years ago they were great to deal with. Then at some point it seems they reached a critical mass and imploded and now they have some of the worst customer service in the industry.

We, in dealing with Emby, get spoiled and expect that level of support from everybody. It is a lot like the usual marriage: "Men marry women in the hope that they will never change and women marry men in the hope that they will change. Both are doomed to disappointment." Expecting Emby's level of customer support from other companies is doomed to be a disappointment.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel
19 hours ago, dannymichel said:

Sure but some of us SPECIFICALLY stopped using plex because the UI was utter shit.  Oddly I don't find 'plex does it differently' to be a compelling argument as I'm in that camp.

Your sugestions may or may not be good.  I just suggest anyone wanting to make a UI change suggestion come up with a better justification.

Riggs

Some theme (s) no too dark an not too bright is what is missing.

Dark grey or so.

The themes that exists are very extreme and the contrast with the arts sometimes is hard for the eyes, and if you have a big screen (65"+) sometimes it blind you after a while

:)

Edited by Riggs
a phrase missing

Chyron
On 2/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, dannymichel said:

The logo is also something that looks like it was done in the early 2000s/90s.

What is wrong with the logo?

Of all the things to complain about... many companies have been using the same logo for decades.

Edited by chyron8472

10 minutes ago, dannymichel said:

The logo looks like it was made in the late 90s

What is bad about the logo? It is minimal and purposely roundish. Do you mean the font and the text "emby" that appears after the logo looks funky?

The logo should be animated IMO as it is round after all.

When you press play on something and the loading spinner appears. That logo could be the spinner. The green Emby logo could spin. But the play symbol inside would not. The green Emby backdrop to the logo spins behind the play symbol. That could be the spinner. In fact... it should be. Man that would make a kick ass loading spinner. Maybe that idea should be toyed with.. lol.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

dannymichel

ive made a few concept logos.

i think this these 2 were the last ones

they werent great, was just messing around

just needed something other than whats there now

MohPJNV.png

yzBty58.png

Gilgamesh_48

That "Emby" is simply UGLY. I see no reason to change anything about the appearance of Emby. It is good enough so it can be used and easily recognized and there is no reason for anyone to waste time making better that which is already good.

Emby's developer's time should be spent on functionality not aesthetics once it is pretty enough for comfortable usability.

But if it changes I will not complain much unless the changes get in the way of usability.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

That is why it is impossible to please everyone.  To me I see absolutely nothing wrong with the current logo.  But to me it is more about functionality over appearance also.

A logo is not something a company just changes on a whim.  Ours is trademarked.  It isn't changing any time soon 🙂.  The rest of the UI we are open to suggestions. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll change to exactly what one person wants but we'll definitely listen to ideas.

• Like 1