3D Blu-Ray Movies in MediaBrowser & Feature Request

Rafi1001

With using stereoscopic player for 3d what is the right way to tag it in media browser? I changed to the mk3d extension and set the external player up like that is that the way its done to get the correct playback in stereoscopic player? Or does it not make any difference to stereoscopic player how its tagged in media browser 3.

Edited by bluc

Overseer

After fiddling with this for about a week it appears that the tags in eMBy make no difference to Stereoscopic player. I've since renamed all my MVC rips to .mk3d. Setting it to play .mkv plays all my .mkvs in Stereoscopic, including my 2D files, irregardless of the tags.

I'm pretty pleased though as I no longer have to manually select my TV to play my movies in 3D mode. Plus my Vizio gives me the option for the first 3-5 seconds after the movie starts to switch from 3D to 2D so I could get away with just one rip for both.

jhoff80

Yeah, I think you just have to decide if most of the time you are going to watch in 2D, or if most of the time you will watch in 3D.  For me, 9 times out of 10 I'll be watching the 2D versions (especially when it's played over one of my WMC extenders), so I just treat my 3D stuff as any other movie so that they all play the same way... though I do add a custom "3D" genre so I know which is which.  When I want to play it in 3D, I just manually open Stereoscopic Player.  To do it any other way is too much of a hassle for the majority of time that I want to play it in 2D.

...Though an option at time of playback (open in MBC or open in external player) for these files would be the ideal way.

• 1 month later...
Rafi1001

@@ebr

Everything has a solution ..

I am still of the opinion that the server doesn't need to recognize full MVC 3D format.

As for the dilemma you described, here we use the tagging option in the editor.

I'll explain ..

Tagging options are:

HSBS - For other 3D formats that are not backward compatible

HTAB - For other 3D formats that are not backward compatible

FSBS - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

FTAB - The only format used is full MVC 3D (see quote)

Assuming you want to avoid adding a 3D button

Tagging movie as FSBS/FTAB:

Click Play (triangle button) will open a message box (with a nice GUI) with two options:

2D - activates the internal player

3D - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

Tagging movie as HSBS/HTAB:

Click Play (triangle button) will automatically activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player) - Without the 2D option (Without message box) .

Assuming you want to adding a 3D button

Tagging movie as FSBS/FTAB:

Click 2D (triangle) - activates the internal player

Click 3D - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

Tagging movie as HSBS/HTAB:

Click 2D (triangle) - activates the external player (Stereoscopic Player).

3D button - Disabled (hidden)

@ebr, @Luke

You replied (post #17) that you will consider the suggestion I mentioned in a post #13..

Ok. I see, so you need features added to the apps. Well I would post in the section for the specific app you're thinking of, and then we'll just see what the demand is for it.

dark_slayer

you can specify the 3d format in the metadata manager

Only for some types. We need one for MVC as it doesn't fit into any of the existing types

+2 on the need for an MVC 3D tag MB server

Currently there is still no way to correctly tag these. This can be loaded from Media_Info automatically as well

• Like 2

dark_slayer

@@Luke

Just to be completely clear and use complete sentences, this is a server metadata manager issue and not just a client issue. The server allows four and only four discrete 3D options in the metadata manager. Those options are ftab, htab, fsbs, and hsbs. There is no general option, and no way to fill the field from the web client other than selecting a pull down option. The problem is that MVC 3D movies (iso or mkv) do not fit any of those categories, but they are 3D (actually the purest form of it from a mastered blu-ray)

MVC MKV will be supported by devices running Kodi which also have a hardware MVC decoder (RPi 1 and 2 have test builds already for KODIv15 and hopefully others to follow from android and GPU manufacturers)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
dark_slayer

you can specify the 3d format in the metadata manager

Not all of them, specifically MVC which is the one needed

Ok. I see, so you need features added to the apps. Well I would post in the section for the specific app you're thinking of, and then we'll just see what the demand is for it.

I'm not sure about this request, but I think a great place to start at the moment is at least some way for the server to recognize/scrape MVC 3D at all

@@Luke

Just to be completely clear and use complete sentences, this is a server metadata manager issue and not just a client issue. The server allows four and only four discrete 3D options in the metadata manager. Those options are ftab, htab, fsbs, and hsbs. There is no general option, and no way to fill the field from the web client other than selecting a pull down option. The problem is that MVC 3D movies (iso or mkv) do not fit any of those categories, but they are 3D (actually the purest form of it from a mastered blu-ray)

MVC MKV will be supported by devices running Kodi which also have a hardware MVC decoder (RPi 1 and 2 have test builds already for KODIv15 and hopefully others to follow from android and GPU manufacturers)

Just reiterating this. There has been no progress or comment on this issue. Even if there was just a proper tag in the 3D options for me to add it manually would be nice. There are only four options, and no choice other than those options. 3D MVC is probably going away with 4K, but this is a format that I have hundreds of titles already saved into.

As to scraping, pulling the Multi_View Count data from mediainfo should always indicate a 2 for 3D MVC as opposed to a 1 for standard AVC

jhoff80

And it also seems like there's starting to be some more software support for playback too.  Not that it'll affect Emby streaming, but there's been some LAVfilters work on MVC playback as of late.

• Like 1

I will say this. We've been screaming at Plex for this feature for 3 years, if Emby beat them to the punch it would be game over. Plex no longer listens to customers and is going the opposite direction. It used to be very feature-rich, now it's dumbed down for the masses. 

I thought Emby would be mediocre, and boy was I wrong. I switched in one day. This is after being a Plex Plass member for years. 

Just better mojo over here. Sounds like the devs listen. Again, I think it's an ffmpeg issue, but if Emby could tackle it (even just flagging them for now would be nice) it would kill Plex. 

I, for one, would also like to see the ability to use PowerDVD as an external player. From what I understand the old emby could do this, but I don't see it on this new iteration.

Cheers!

Long Story boring: If Emby could find a way to support Frame Packed 3D (whether ISO or MKV MVC files) and also DSD audio, it would be game over for all the rest.

Edited by weeks

Well, let's get one thing straight, if we were to go crazy with our 3d support, heck even include our own glasses, i don't think that would kill anyone :) in other words, i just don't think the 3d market is large enough to do that. but it is large enough that we will improve it when we can. so if we were to look at one big thing for 3d, what would that be?

• Like 1

Well, let's get one thing straight, if we were to go crazy with our 3d support, heck even include our own glasses, i don't think that would kill anyone :) in other words, i just don't think the 3d market is large enough to do that. but it is large enough that we will improve it when we can. so if we were to look at one big thing for 3d, what would that be?

Well if you want wishes, I would say in this order (and if number one is not doable, you could go from there and move on, etc):

1. Play MVC MKV files or ISO in 3D. This is the ultimate and I am not even sure it's doable, even though some set top boxes like med8er and kdlinks do it.

2. Allow us to use an external player such as PowerDVD for 3D (temp solution but works)

3. Some people would like to see them tagged as MVC or just 3D in general. For me this isn't an issue, because every single 3D film I own is ISO and in a separate directory, but I guess some people want to be able to distinguish them between other films.

If I had to pick one, and it was too much manpower to play ISO or MVC in 3D and pass it to the television natively, I would say it would be #2. Basically what the OP is saying.  Let us use PowerDVD or something in the new version of Emby to play these files, and if Emby can tell they are such, then we have a separate play button perhaps.  I personally would just be okay with the ability to have PowerDVD play ISO if we can't have our Emby cake and eat it, too.

While I know ffmpeg or lav work on MVC is new, for some reason these set top boxes are able to do it and get away with it. I have one, but would like everything under Emby if possible, of course.

I know it's not a big market, but I think you'd find there's a group of us who would chunk down lifetime support in a second, because we wouldn't have to look back.

Hell, this is probably unethical, but I'd send you a KDlinks box to reverse engineer.

Thanks for all the work. You guys are great!

Edited by weeks

Why do you say using an external player is a temporary solution?  It seems like that would do everything you are asking for...

mguebert

I may be wrong but it is my understanding the boxes that can play back MVC 3D files have hardware MVC decoding. In order for Emby to use that with ET it would need to write a driver for each specific implementation of the box being used. Or write a software MVC decoder from scratch, right now the only software I know with a MVC software decoder is Stereoscopic Player which is not free, they are using a licensed MVC software decoder.

So until there is a open source MVC driver I doubt ET or Emby could directly play the files in FP 3D.

Why do you say using an external player is a temporary solution?  It seems like that would do everything you are asking for...

It would, for me. But we can't expect everyone to buy a $99 program ($59 on sale). I'm just wishfully thinking that one day there will be an all-in-one solution for all types of media.

I may be wrong but it is my understanding the boxes that can play back MVC 3D files have hardware MVC decoding. In order for Emby to use that with ET it would need to write a driver for each specific implementation of the box being used. Or write a software MVC decoder from scratch, right now the only software I know with a MVC software decoder is Stereoscopic Player which is not free, they are using a licensed MVC software decoder.

So until there is a open source MVC driver I doubt ET or Emby could directly play the files in FP 3D.

I'm not sure if it's hardware. I could look into it. I know there are only a few boxes, and if it were hardware, I think there would be more than there are. Even if it's hardware, those chips are coded. This means someone was able to write software than can decode MVC whether it's on a chip, disc, usb stick, or grain of rice.  If I recall, it seems the 3D MVC aspect of the boxes is software based. The reason I say this is that some of the boxes that can do this couldn't until software updates.

Edited by weeks

jhoff80

I would say as far as I'm concerned, if only one thing was implemented with regards to 3D, it'd be metadata tagging of MVC MKV files... preferably automatic if possible, but I also wouldn't mind much having to manually flag them.  And then the second would be similar to how it works already for top-bottom or side-by-side 3D:  the ability to distinguish just those MVC MKV files from a standard MKV, so that I could use the default player for MKV, and the external player "Stereoscopic Player" for 3D.

Again, this is just based on my own personal experience, but the big problem is that since both regular and 3D MKVs have the same file extension, there's no good way to automate playing only the 3D files in a separate player.

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Yes, can we please at least have the option to properly flag them? That's all I'm requesting. 3D options in the server have fsbs and ftab. I don't know a single person anywhere in life who has those formats. Tons of us have hsbs and mvc.

No way to manually assign this either. From whatever logic is being used on that flag, couldn't mvc just be the same as blank? Scraping media info would be nice, but I'll take anything at this point