Filter by Decade

denzoid

Junglejim
2 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Well it might possibly bring in a few dollars from those people who say I think I'll try Emby and if it's good I'll get Premiere, followed by what, can't filter by decade (plus a few other things it can't do...) leading to oh well, maybe not.

MedInfo thing sounds handy, maybe then I can go back to grouping items into Collections, which I can't do with my existing workaround Decades Collections.

Yeah these devs have to edge there bets. 😆

Yet again a third party solution.👍 Not to good for a Linux user like me but maybe a kick in the pants for the devs to rip it off.. 😄

arrbee99

I guess devs'll say they've got feature requests conning out their ears and it depends on how popular feature requests actually are, which sounds quite reasonable to me.....but still, almost half a decade later.

• Agree 1

Junglejim
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

I guess devs'll say they've got feature requests conning out their ears and it depends on how popular feature requests actually are, which sounds quite reasonable to me.....but still, almost half a decade later.

Yep, more like bugs coming out of there ears. Features shouldn't take that long, especially one's so simple.

Smart playlists... LOL That will never happen, not with these devs!

• Like 1

user24
54 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

(plus a few other things it can't do...)

Yeah, Decade options, by themself, are not a major deal breaker, but all of the small things do add up to a big difference when comparing Emby to competitors. With large media libraries it's important to be able to sort, group, browse, filter, select and play by many different routes for movies/tv/music.

I recently opened MusicBee (for music of course) after not using it for many years, and their built-in Decade 'tag' was just "there" without me having to even go looking for it, or do anything special to set it up!!! For me, for music, Album Decade + Artist Country + Genre + Style (Sub-Genre) + Album Release Type are all important (there's probably more as well that I have forgotten right now). I think Plex has all these implemented, but Emby doesn't have most of these right now. (I don't want them all as Genres!) I also get that there are other common music/movie/tv sorting/filtering categories that are important to others. 

It's great that Tags can be used in many instances, especially for all the personal groupings that everyone has, but using Tags (and other methods) as workarounds for very common media categories can become very frustrating. You end up spending much more time tweaking what you can and therefore much less time enjoying your media. Some of the third-party plug-ins are a very good start, but these should be Emby core.

In the meantime, I'll be interested to try out anything with Decades that anyone else comes up with...

• Like 1

rbjtech

Almost done lol - scrappy code and I'm sure there is a better way, but it works just fine and adds a Decade 'Tag' for each item - both episodes and movies for the moment - but I can filter on this if required.

Need to add the option in the plugin (it just piggybacks on another for the moment) and then I'll update the MediaInfo thread with the new DLL.    

int getyearint = 0;

if (config.AddEditionTags) // Add decade tag (will add UI switch later)  ..
{

string getyearstring = DateTime.Parse(item.PremiereDate.ToString()).Year.ToString();

getyearint = Int16.Parse(getyearstring);

if (getyearint > 1929 && getyearint < 1940)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1930's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        tempList.Add(new LinkedItemInfo
        {
            Name = "#1930's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1939 && getyearint < 1950)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1940's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1940's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1949 && getyearint < 1960)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1950's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1950's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1959 && getyearint < 1970)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1960's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1960's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1969 && getyearint < 1980)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1970's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1970's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1979 && getyearint < 1990)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1980's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1980's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1989 && getyearint < 2000)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #1990's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#1990's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 1999 && getyearint < 2010)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #2000's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#2000's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 2009 && getyearint < 2020)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #2010's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#2010's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 2019 && getyearint < 2030)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #2020's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#2020's"
        });

}

if (getyearint > 2029 && getyearint < 2040)
    {
        Log.Debug("Writing Tag Decade = #2030's : Actual Year = {0}", getyearint);
        {
            Name = "#2030's"
        });

}

}

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

user24
1 hour ago, Junglejim said:

Smart playlists... LOL That will never happen, not with these devs!

Emby should buy the Smart Playlist 2.0 plug-in from ShaneP and fully integrate it. 

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Working for TV Shows as well - it tags the decade in the episodes (of limited use), but more importantly, tags the show as well (using season 1 episode 1 air date as the decade).     This allows you to simply filter all the 80's TV shows - for example, using the standard filters.   I'll sort the music/audio out another day - I'll tag the tracks and the albums, again so you can easily list all your 80's albums for example.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

arrbee99

I  agree that little things that don't work can add up, another example being filtering for say 720p movies includes quite a few older movies because they're narrow screen. But then you have things maybe like just adding TV channel up down arrows which I think don't get added not cause its so difficult but cause tuning is so slow for some  of us we would think the arrows are broken, then you're into the whole TVNext/Nextgen TV whatever its called thing.

arrbee99

The decade tags thing looks very tempting. Wish I could just knock something out like that....I just worry a teeny bit about adding tags / modifying databases automagically (one of my many failings...)

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

The decade tags thing looks very tempting. Wish I could just knock something out like that....I just worry a teeny bit about adding tags / modifying databases automagically (one of my many failings...)

It's all done via the mediainfo plugin - so emby c#/api libraries - so you can't really 'break it' with tags - they are just useful to fill in the gaping holes with the current emby filter system.  If they every get around to adding the 'AND' ability (pretty standard since the introduction of binary logic in 1847 (!), then tags will be even more useful...

• Like 1

arrbee99

That sounds good, am getting sorely tempted...

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

I still have no idea why its such a state secret to hear whats actually being worked on. I mean you get hints (new Windows app for example), but why not just say, Infuse and others don't seem to have any trouble with such things.

GrimReaper
12 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

maybe then I can go back to grouping items into Collections, which I can't do with my existing workaround Decades Collections.

Have to admit I didn't get that one, what does it mean? 

arrbee99
19 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Have to admit I didn't get that one, what does it mean? 

In my Collections I made collections consisting of movies by decade, so have a 1920's collection, 1930's collection etc (see half way down page 2 of this thread), so every movie I have is in one of those collections. Therefore if I have my movies grouped into collections using this option -

EmbyGroupitemsintoCollections.jpg.d0006e055eb64bf4894484c08e61c4e2.jpg

then the movies would only appear in my Decade Collections, so no Aliens, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Spiderman etc collections, just those 11 decade ones would show.

- I think thats what happened when I tried it months ago...or something like that anyway.

EDIT - so soon I'll hopefully be able to get rid of those decade collections and be able to tick that Grouping option.

Edited by arrbee99

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

In my Collections I made collections consisting of movies by decade, so have a 1920's collection, 1930's collection etc (see half way down page 2 of this thread), so every movie I have is in one of those collections. Therefore if I have my movies grouped into collections using this option -

EmbyGroupitemsintoCollections.jpg.d0006e055eb64bf4894484c08e61c4e2.jpg

then the movies would only appear in my Decade Collections, so no Aliens, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Spiderman etc collections, just those 11 decade ones would show.

- I think thats what happened when I tried it months ago...or something like that anyway.

I don't see same behavior, have both Decade Collections AND individual Collections listed with all movies within shown.

image.thumb.png.7d61e592628474002b34928d38e4be2f.png

image.thumb.png.8eebd8c831d619a894ccd671f4fdb687.png

image.thumb.png.d626a5a0916eb397b12cd2c57b6ca0d4.png

user24

Hey @rbjtechgreat work with what you have achieved for movies in a very short time. I get a similar filter pop-up window with what I implemented via Genres so far:

genrefilterexample.thumb.jpg.9aa5beb10d4a5c9413ee2d28679846bc.jpg

You beat me to my next comment...

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

If they every get around to adding the 'AND' ability (pretty standard since the introduction of binary logic in 1847 (!), then tags will be even more useful...

This is still the limitation with using either Genres or Tags. I can select one OR more decades to filter by, but I cannot select (say?) #1970s AND Classic Rock. Ideally Decades should be their own filter or within the existing year filter because you could still OR decades and years, plus it would be much less likely that you would ever want to AND them?

My next tentative idea is to repurpose the Music Studio filter because I already use another (workaround) method for viewing selected Record Labels...

If you do get around with doing anything with music, I'll be interested to see what you come up with, if not, no worries at all!

Edited by user24
  • Thanks 1

arrbee99
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I don't see same behavior, have both Decade Collections AND individual Collections listed with all movies within shown.

Do you have that Group Items into Collections box ticked ?

GrimReaper
Just now, arrbee99 said:

Do you have that Group Items into Collections box ticked ?

Yep, first screenshot is of one of my MOVIE libraries, notice few single/individual movies between all the Collections.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, user24 said:

If you do get around with doing anything with music, I'll be interested to see what you come up with, if not, no worries at all!

Yea I realised that we had never actually catered for Itemtype=audio in the MediaInfo plugin - only video (shows,movies).

So I'ne now added it as a library type that you can choose - but of course all the codec types are different vs video - so it's a fair bit of work.  I'll add the tagging bit first (tagging 'FLAC at both an Album and Track level - so you can sort all your FLAC Albums for example.  Currently Music/Audio seems VERY light on filterable metadata .. :(

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Yep, first screenshot is of one of my MOVIE libraries, notice few single/individual movies between all the Collections.

Then, I'm confused too - if you have items in Collections, then that's the entire point - it rolls them all up into a single 'collection' item instead.

So if you put all your, lets say 80's movies, into a movie collection - then it would remove all the 80's movies, and just leave the 80's collection on show.

If you created 'links' and put those into a collection, then fine - you can have both.. but that's a manual headache ... 🙄 

arrbee99
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I'm probably confusing things totally but...yes, I just tried ticking that option and ir doesn't seem to affect Collections or their contents, but in the Movies page I think it only shows the 11 decades collections plus the normal collections, not any individual movies cause they'd all be in some kind of collection.

user24
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'll add the tagging bit first (tagging 'FLAC at both an Album and Track level - so you can sort all your FLAC Albums for example. 

Perfect! My 100,000+ music tracks are all FLAC. I convert any other lossless formats before adding to my main music library and don't use any lossy formats. (That's only me though - I know many others use different formats and hi-res).

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Currently Music/Audio seems VERY light on filterable metadata

Yes - I don't have time to make a long list right now...!!!

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Then, I'm confused too - if you have items in Collections, then that's the entire point - it rolls them all up into a single 'collection' item instead.

So if you put all your, lets say 80's movies, into a movie collection - then it would remove all the 80's movies, and just leave the 80's collection on show.

If you created 'links' and put those into a collection, then fine - you can have both.. but that's a manual headache ... 🙄 

LOL Well, now I'M confused too, whether it's me or @arrbee99that's confusing you. 😄

As I understood it, he's not talking about seeing individual movies but that he cannot see other collections save Decade ones - which is not what I'm seeing, as screenshoted: Decades collections, individual collections and individual movies which are not part of any.

GrimReaper

At least that's how I understood this:

30 minutes ago, arrbee99 said: