New Plugin - Disk Space

chef

Dibbes

Thank you for taking the time to help test that out.

I learned a lot from do this project.

Now I'm wondering about running bash scripts from command prompts in .netcore.

It's a whole new world

@@chef, for the Windows version of this plugin, is there a way to get the name of the disks displayed as well, next to the drive-letter? I have a ton of shares mapped to my server and I don't always remember which is which.

• Like 1

@@chef, for the Windows version of this plugin, is there a way to get the name of the disks displayed as well, next to the drive-letter? I have a ton of shares mapped to my server and I don't always remember which is which.

Yes, I'll add this.

• Like 1

@Dibbles It's been added, at the bottom beside space info. Is that cool?

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Dibbes

@Dibbles It's been added, at the bottom beside space info. Is that cool?

Perfect! and exactly how I pictured it  :) 

Thank you 

Dibbes

@@chef Some observations :)

• Not sure why and it's honestly not really important, but for some drives the names aren't displayed (T & U drives)... very strange. These are Windows Shares, so maybe it's that...
  • Also, for some shares the names are not displayed completely, just the first word (P & R Drives), These are different Synology boxes
  • And, lastly, purely cosmetic, the boxes are not uniform in size

And something I have not been able to figure out, how do I change colours of the images? I've seen various screenshots in this threat with different colours than mine... Any reason for that?

Love this plugin though! Thanks

5e2034117d58a_harddrives.jpg

Edited by Dibbes

@Dibbles

This is great feedback, thank you.

Color is changed by selecting the Used/Available boxes at the top of the card.

Interesting that the Volume label doesn't show of those two drives specifically.   What does windows report as the volume label for those drives?

Can you tell me which drive card in the image you posted has the odd sizing problem? I can fix sizing with some css.

Edited by chef

Dibbes

@Dibbles - You're going to have to drop the "l" from my handle, otherwise I don't get the notification... lol

Interesting that the Volume label doesn't show of those two drives specifically.   What does windows report as the volume label for those drives? - Sure, see below

Can you tell me which drive card in the image you posted has the odd sizing problem? I can fix sizing with some css. - it's not much, but you can see it in the screenshot

5e205efd82736_devicesdrives.jpg

• Like 1

Oh geez, I finally got your name right... I must be getting old lol. Or need better glasses. Lol

I see why those shares are not showing properly. I can fix the code to make them show up.

• Like 1

Dibbes

@@chef one more thing, can the used and available be swapped? Currently the available in the pie/circle (I don't know how it's called, really, but I mean the graphical part) comes first. I think that counter intuitive, as most OS'es give used first... (Also the legend gives used first, by the way)

rbjtech

I see why those shares are not showing properly. I can fix the code to make them show up.

Hi Chef, great plugin but as all of my media is on UNC paths (\\server\media etc) on a remote server/nas, the plugin is currently only showing the system drive for me which is of limited use.

Do you plan to add UNC support ?

Thanks for your efforts - this could be incorporated under the main 'Server | Libraries' Admin View - as there is room there to display it ?  Nice.

Edit - a crude mock up ..

5e217eb2d0e3d_diskspace.png

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play

From a Network Shares aspect, maybe a manual input to show that share.

And a option to not show/hide specific drives.

• Like 1

Do you mean there should be a dialog with all the mounts, shares and drives available, and put checkboxes beside them to choose which ones to display?

That would be pretty easy to do.

But do the UNC drives show up in the API? We can only display paths that show up in IFileSystem (EnvironmentService).

Happy2Play

Do you mean there should be a dialog with all the mounts, shares and drives available, and put checkboxes beside them to choose which ones to display?

That would be pretty easy to do.

But do the UNC drives show up in the API? We can only display paths that show up in IFileSystem (EnvironmentService).

Don't really know anything about this, but if a user could select/deselect the drives they wish to monitor, should cover the intended usage of this plugin.

For the Network Shares I would think they would need to manually enter the shares they would want to monitor, as they typically would not be local to the machine Emby is on.

Don't really know anything about this, but if a user could select/deselect the drives they wish to monitor, should cover the intended usage of this plugin.

For the Network Shares I would think they would need to manually enter the shares they would want to monitor, as they typically would not be local to the machine Emby is on.

Yep, right away I can see some issues coding network shares into this thing.  Users gonna have to add these extra.

There is a chance that we can't read Disk information of the share directory because it isn't local.

Not sure how this is going to go.

• Like 2

I have UNC paths working in Windows, but I don't know how to do it under UNIX... ... yet.

Currently I can check for the OS like this:

private static bool IsUnix()
        {
            var isUnix = RuntimeInformation.IsOSPlatform(OSPlatform.OSX) ||
                         RuntimeInformation.IsOSPlatform(OSPlatform.Linux);

return isUnix;
        }

This is super helpful code built into CORE. That means I can code around those two platforms. 

I can Marshal in un-managed code from PInvoke on windows to access UNC shares like this:

[return: MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)]
        [DllImport("kernel32.dll", SetLastError = true, CharSet = CharSet.Unicode)]
        private static extern bool GetDiskFreeSpaceEx(string lpDirectoryName, out ulong lpFreeBytesAvailable, out ulong lpTotalNumberOfBytes, out ulong lpTotalNumberOfFreeBytes);

and have it only run on windows machines to return UNC drive data.

that's sweet!

But, to grab UNIX data it will probably mean using a Bash script and parsing the StdOut information.

I don't want to add this stuff to a release of the plugin until I know it can stay cross platform and has been thoroughly tested.

So... any Linux guys out there who know a good bash script to grab UNC disk information?? 

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

CBers

I have UNC paths working in Windows, but I don't know how to do it under UNIX... ... yet.

Currently I can check for the OS like this:

private static bool IsUnix()
        {
            var isUnix = RuntimeInformation.IsOSPlatform(OSPlatform.OSX) ||
                         RuntimeInformation.IsOSPlatform(OSPlatform.Linux);

return isUnix;
        }

This is super helpful code built into CORE. That means I can code around those two platforms. 

I can Marshal in un-managed code from PInvoke on windows to access UNC shares like this:

[return: MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.Bool)]
        [DllImport("kernel32.dll", SetLastError = true, CharSet = CharSet.Unicode)]
        private static extern bool GetDiskFreeSpaceEx(string lpDirectoryName, out ulong lpFreeBytesAvailable, out ulong lpTotalNumberOfBytes, out ulong lpTotalNumberOfFreeBytes);

and have it only run on windows machines to return UNC drive data.

that's sweet!

But, to grab UNIX data it will probably mean using a Bash script and parsing the StdOut information.

I don't want to add this stuff to a release of the plugin until I know it can stay cross platform and has been thoroughly tested.

So... any Linux guys out there who know a good bash script to grab UNC disk information?? 

Wouldn't they just be mounted filesystems under unix, using the df command ?

Does your plugin send notifications if a particular disk is below a certain threshold ?

CBers

@@chef

Not sure how the AVAILABLE and USED figures are calculated that are displayed if you hover over the images, but they don't look good.

5e2efcf46c6f0_EmbyDiskSpace1.jpg 5e2efd0480eba_EmbyDiskSpace2.jpg

Just installed the plugin via the catalog.

You can change the color by clicking on the little square.

Those numbers are bytes. Does that make sense?

It was the built in way to calculate the graphs.

Maybe I can change it to read something more readable. It's calculated on the bottom though.

Should I try?

Edited by chef

And yes it should send notifications of full drives!

Great idea, @@CBers what kind of notifications do you want to see?

On the dashboard under alerts maybe? Or dashboard alert modals?

CBers

You can change the color by clicking on the little square.

Those numbers are bytes. Does that make sense?

Not worried about the colour, but the figures are meaningless.

No-one is going to sit there working out what 1424142395248 in bytes is in Tb/Gb/Mb etc..

Wouldn't it be better to show the information in the same format as the size of the drive at the bottom ?

CBers

And yes it should send notifications of full drives!

Great idea, @@CBers what kind of notifications do you want to see?

On the dashboard under alerts maybe? Or dashboard alert modals?

It was mentioned in this thread about having a notification if a drive runs out of space, especially if it's used for recording Live TV (DVR).

• Like 1

Not worried about the colour, but the figures are meaningless.

No-one is going to sit there working out what 1424142395248 in bytes is in Tb/Gb/Mb etc..

Wouldn't it be better to show the information in the same format as the size of the drive at the bottom ?

I will use my calculator function to change them to a more compressed number. But I'm not sure it will show units, I'll try.

• Like 1

It was mentioned in this thread about having a notification if a drive runs out of space, especially if it's used for recording Live TV (DVR).

Consider it done.

• Like 2