Help me spend some money!

Sammy

Guest asrequested

Sounds like you need to replace the board. I had a similar blip with my TR board. In my case, it posted, but would intermittently fail. I went down a rabbit hole trying find the cause. I returned it, and the replacement was error free.

I'm hoping it is the RAM but one never knows. I'll RMA the board if need be but I'll probably need some thermal paste now to re-attach the cooler to the CPU?

Last time I did this I had to use a low end directly compatible CPU (athlon), update the BIOS then use the new CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I did this I had to use a low end directly compatible CPU (athlon), update the BIOS then use the new CPU.

Oh crap.

Did you have this DRAM issue?

Can you mail me the CPU for setup?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Call Gigabyte. I'm sure they have a way to get the BIOS updated. But your issue sounds a lot like what I had.

I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese!

Do you have a phone number?

^^ THIS ^^

Gigabyte just called back. I have three options.

1. RMA the board to Gigabyte to flash it 7 to 10 days.
  2. Have AMD send me what is called a "Boot" kit (Athalon CPU) to upgrade the BIOS then I send it back to AMD. I don't know how long this takes.
  3. Find a local computer shop, GeekSquad or MicroCenter and have them do it for a fee. (Most likely what I'll do to get it done quicker)

So there you have it.. The saga continues.

Edited by Sammy

That sucks! I guess that's the price of using leading edge tech...ya gotta bleed a little.

Or send the MoBo back the amazon and get a 570 series board. After I get a price for the local shop I had build me a computer 20 years ago (they're still in business?!), I'll weigh my options. 

Edited by Sammy

Guest asrequested

My choice would be to have AMD to send me the kit. But I like messing with stuff. I appreciate that's it's not the most convenient option.

• Like 1

My old shop has moved but still has the circa 1960's IBM Main Frame on Display.. they'll do it for $25 but need to check to see if they have the Athlon 200GE processor as they moved just last month and are still sorting their inventory. Hopefully they have it otherwise the free BIOS Flash by Gigabyte is the way to go with this but that puts me out until about the 17th. Thank goodness I have a duplicate machine but it isn't optimized like my Emby Server was so we're having some stuttering on playback. If I can't get this done on Monday, I'm going to put that GTX 1060 6GB in it to boost the speed. This machine runs my downloading and also runs my BlueIris Security Cams so it gets a bit taxed at times, recording 4 video streams, processing nzb's and now streaming Emby LiveTV.. Good to have multiples; maybe I'll fire up the i3 NUC I have as it isn't doing anything at all right now..

Jdiesel

Man it is 2019, MB manufactures should really figure out how to include a microprocessor on MBs that allows the bios to be flashed via USB without a CPU

Higher-end gigabyte motherboards with Q flash Plus will do this.

Guest asrequested

That's a better board, and has Q-flash. The one you linked to isn't new, though. So be aware of that. But if you're willing to spend the money, I say go for it.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

That's a better board, and has Q-flash. The one you linked to isn't new, though. So be aware of that. But if you're willing to spend the money, I say go for it.

The one they shipped was factory sealed!

I actually ordered an Amazon Warehouse Used Like New. Seams common to get new products this way. The MoBo I returned was the same deal.

Edited by Sammy

lightsout

Oh man new build I missed all the fun. Sammy you mentioned a micro center by you I thought? They have the 2700x for like $130.

Looks like a pretty sweet setup you got there. AMD is where it's at these days. At basically every price point.

I'm also running my Emby server on amd

1800x

16 gb ddr4 3200

Asus tuf b450 micro atx

Phanteks enthoo case

I use a cheap pcie sata card for expansion. Always wanted one of those LSI cards.

I currently have:

4x8 TB drives (media)

4x2 TB drives (snapraid parity)

Nice gigabyte board. Good choice going ATX. Always better for a server if you have the room.

Edited by lightsout
  • Like 1