Help me spend some money!

Sammy

Sammy
Sammy

Not that second one. It's in IR mode.

Cool! First one is cheaper anyhow but the second one does have choices to pick IT mode. The thing with the first one is the model number in the picture on the card says SAS 9200 8i so I was concerned about that..

Sammy

This one is cheaper but it says "LSI 9200-8i = (9211-8I) IT Mode " .

This one is a couple bucks more but is "Selectable" for IT Mode.

Sorry but I'm confused about the first one because of the p/n, which is what is visible in the picture of the item even though there are multiples for sale so it obviously isn't the one that will ship.

Thanks!

Sammy

Ordered.. The build continues. I need to get started on tranfering 8Tb of data off 4 2Tb drives onto an 8Tb drive as I'm going to use 8's going forward.

Sammy

If you're using drive pooling, just switch out one drive at time. It's less painful.

I use DrivePool. So I remove one 2Tb drive from the pool at a time and then transfer the data to the new 8Tb drive until all 4 are transferred?

I suppose I'll need to re-scan my Emby Library each time.

Guest asrequested

What I do is add the new drive, wait for it balance, then remove the old one. Or you can do that in reverse. Click remove, let it balance, then add the new drive.

Sammy

What I do is add the new drive, wait for it balance, then remove the old one. Or you can do that in reverse. Click remove, let it balance, then add the new drive.

Oh wow, didn't think of that!

Okay, so here's the rub.. Two of these drives are on another computer in another pool. I think I'll take them out of that pool and let it balance then physically remove the drives and add them to the pool on this new build, THEN remove them again and let it balance again! Seem reasonable?

Guest asrequested

You put your left leg in, you put your leg out... Lol

Yeah, that sounds like a bit of a dance. I'd probably start with replacing two of the 2TB with an 8TB. Then you have a spare slot for future growth/replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to move the contents of four 2Tb drives to this drive but the 2TB drives are in a Pool using DrivePool which Emby's libraries are pointed to. If I take them out of the pool, how will Emby find the contents? I do plan on putting this drive back into the pool when the transfers are complete.

Additional note, this pool exists on my old i5 4690k but the contents, once transferred to the 8Tb drive will be in the pool on my new Rizen 3700x. Issues?

Happy2Play

If everything is contained within a pool and Emby is pointed to that pool folder,  you should be able to add your new drive to the pool and be able to remove the 2TB drives allowing the Drivepool software to evacuate the drives on removal.  

I know that is how Stablebits does is or there are balancing options to evacuate specific drives also.  Don't know Drive Bender options.

This should be transparent to Emby assuming you only have one pool for your media.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got both my PC's and all my drives under one hood, moving 4 2TB Drives to one 8 TB Drive I shucked.. Need to get a couple more of those and drop the other 2 TB and 4TB Drives but here's a finished build pic and my 40 TB Drive Pool.

BTW, this PC is now doing it all, nzb's, MCEBuddy, Blue Iris and Emby Server. It hardly breaks a sweat except when there's 4 MCEBuddy Conversions to HEVC/mkv running on 8 of 16 threads. Then it hits maybe 60% and completes those conversions in less than half the time of what my old HTPC did.

Quite very pleased!!!

5e4afc9351b6a_RyzenPC.jpg

5e4afca3959a6_DrivePool.png

nice. what case is that. seems like it would get pretty hot.

It is this one from Newegg. I got it on sale from Amazon during BF.

It has a 120mm and 140mm intake (plus PSU intake) fans and one 120mm plus three more 140mm exhaust fans as well as pretty good ventilation "holes". Temps are staying nice..

Don't get me wrong on space though. It took a while to stuff 12 HDD's in there!

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

lightsout

Looking good. Is there not a space behind the motherboard tray to route cables?

What did you do with the hard drives as far as parity? Using anything beyond drivepool?

Looking good. Is there not a space behind the motherboard tray to route cables?

There is but it's really tight between the MoBo tray and the case wall.

What did you do with the hard drives as far as parity? Using anything beyond drivepool?

As this is basically disposable data I don't have a parity. I use all my drives for data storage.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

lightsout

There is but it's really tight between the MoBo try and the case wall.

As this is basically disposable data I don't have a parity. I use all my drives for data storage.

K

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Have you looked into snapraid or do you just not care about it. I know when I used to download it didn't matter because I could always get it again.
  • Like 1

Have you looked into snapraid or do you just not care about it. I know when I used to download it didn't matter because I could always get it again.

I have considered but not yet researched any sort of RAID. I'd probably need a full 8Tb just for the Parity Drive, right? That's a lot more content!!

I'm actually considering just doing it in the cloud with iDrive.

lightsout

I have considered but not yet researched any sort of RAID. I'd probably need a full 8Tb just for the Parity Drive, right? That's a lot more content!!

I'm actually considering just doing it in the cloud with iDrive.

Yeah I have 40tb with 32 available. But I can lose a drive and no lose any data. I ran "naked" for a decade and finally wanted some protection. It was hard to swallow at first having a whole drive unusable but I like the piece of mind. 

I have looked into cloud but its pretty pricey and with the slow upload that Spectrum offers my network would be saturated quite often, not sure how long it would take to initially get the stuff uploaded. 

Plus if your putting copyrighted stuff on a commercial server there is a bit of a concern potentially. I don't care for the stuff I've ripped, but other things...

Edited by lightsout

Jdiesel

In my opinion the cost of a parity drive it worth it compared to my time spend replacing what I might lose during a drive failure. I have multiple backups for sensitive information so that isn't my concern but my safety net, in my case unRAID, it strictly for convince and my own time.

Another often overlooked benefit is that wthl a fail-safe in place you are able to run drives to their breaking point. When they fail you replace them. With unprotected drives you start to worry more and more the older they get and at some point you are likely to move data off of a working drive because you think it is about to fail and you don't want to lose the data. You are essentially leaving useful life on the table because of uncertainty.