Help me spend some money!

Sammy

Yeah, I ended up going with Amazon. The 3700x was $299 when I ordered it, more now. Then MicroCenter sent me an email for $279. When I went to check on it, it was OOS of course. Didn't matter much as I had already received the CPU from Amazon. The case is a $40 Rosewill Mid-Tower. Very nice to work in compared to the Silverstone HTPC Case it'll replace. Changing needs as I no longer need a smaller case that looks like the rest of my gear in the Family Room.

I'm looking to consolidate my drives. Right now I have 14x 3.5" HDD's in various capacities, most of them are 2TB's that have been in service for going on 10 years for some of them now. I'm looking to shuck another 8TB for a 4 to 1 drive bay savings.. I want to get all this in the new case I have. The issue I had before was with CPU getting overloaded running Emby/MCEBuddy/PlayOn on one and then BlueIris and media grabbers (you know the ones that end in rr) on the other one. I think now I can do all this on one machine and not break a sweat.

lightsout

Yeah, I ended up going with Amazon. The 3700x was $299 when I ordered it, more now. Then MicroCenter sent me an email for $279. When I went to check on it, it was OOS of course. Didn't matter much as I had already received the CPU from Amazon. The case is a $40 Rosewill Mid-Tower. Very nice to work in compared to the Silverstone HTPC Case it'll replace. Changing needs as I no longer need a smaller case that looks like the rest of my gear in the Family Room.

I'm looking to consolidate my drives. Right now I have 14x 3.5" HDD's in various capacities, most of them are 2TB's that have been in service for going on 10 years for some of them now. I'm looking to shuck another 8TB for a 4 to 1 drive bay savings.. I want to get all this in the new case I have. The issue I had before was with CPU getting overloaded running Emby/MCEBuddy/PlayOn on one and then BlueIris and media grabbers (you know the ones that end in rr) on the other one. I think now I can do all this on one machine and not break a sweat.

Yeah you should have no problem, especially with Emby and Mcebuddy running off of the GPU. Like I said I have a 1800x, which is two gens behind yours and does great. Ryzen has got a lot of IPC improvement through those two generations.

I posted in your hard drive thread but shucking WD's is by far the best move these days, comporable drives that are already bare cost a lot more. I also need to purge some 2tb's. The 4 of them are my parity, so the next 8tb drive with go to parity (which doesn't excite me about spending the money when nothing is added to the pool) but like you it will free up 3 drive bays,

Sounds like you got a pretty sweet setup. Have fun getting it all dialed in.

Jdiesel

I believe the WD MyBook 8TB drives are the best $/TB out there if you grab them when they are on sale. I usually grab them off of Amazon or have BB pricematch them if I need one in a hurry.

• Like 1

I believe the WD MyBook 8TB drives are the best $/TB out there if you grab them when they are on sale. I usually grab them off of Amazon or have BB pricematch them if I need one in a hurry.

The Seagate 8tb is slightly less right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

The Seagate 8tb is slightly less right now.

May be unreliable. Time and again seagate gets knocked for reliability. Sure some of it is just getting repeated. 

But I have had the worse luck with them, two drives died, one in warranty. The replacement they sent died a couple months later after warranty expired. This can of course happen with any drive. But its been my experience. 

Also be careful that not all externals can be shucked and work as bare drives.

May be unreliable. Time and again seagate gets knocked for reliability. Sure some of it is just getting repeated. 

But I have had the worse luck with them, two drives died, one in warranty. The replacement they sent died a couple months later after warranty expired. This can of course happen with any drive. But its been my experience. 

Also be careful that not all externals can be shucked and work as bare drives.

I've got a few that are going strong. One of them is probably 10 years old now, a 1TB. Another is a 4TB Drive that I use for my BlueIris DVR Recordings. That one has been running for about 3 to 4 years old. Knock on wood but I've had little to none on drive failures over the last 25ish years.

Weather it can be shucked is a whole other question though. I didn't know there where drives that couldn't be shucked. Please pass on more information.. Or I'll just google ti.

lightsout

I've got a few that are going strong. One of them is probably 10 years old now, a 1TB. Another is a 4TB Drive that I use for my BlueIris DVR Recordings. That one has been running for about 3 to 4 years old. Knock on wood but I've had little to none on drive failures over the last 25ish years.

Weather it can be shucked is a whole other question though. I didn't know there where drives that couldn't be shucked. Please pass on more information.. Or I'll just google ti.

I swear I read something about some drives having encryption and when you open them they don't work.

But you also need to read reviews as certain models have the controller board soldered straight onto the drive. So you won't get a standard sata interface. Looks like plenty of seagates are shuckable, just be careful which you choose.

Time to test that CPU :)

I had a back up of MPEG2.ts recordings to convert to HEVC.mkv from when I was recording with my other i5 4690k.. 78 to be exact. I set up MCEBuddy to use only half the available threads/cores and set it for HW Acceleration using the GTX1060, which I had already unlocked with the hack from @@lightsout . I started these about 6pm last night and they were done about 4am this morning. Previously this would have taken several days and caused issues with playback. I also have another set of MPEG2.ts recordings that I'm processing today. I figure they'll be done when I get home tonight. Pretty darn pleased!

Using CPUID's HW Monitor, the GTX1060 was pegged at 100% capacity so it might slow it down a bit. It will be hard to know because after this set, I don't have a mass conversion of MPEG2.ts to convert, just daily recordings. I could turn of HW Acceleration and compare on a few to see.

I should also note that I had 4 MCEBuddy Conversions running simultaneously.. 

lightsout

Using CPUID's HW Monitor, the GTX1060 was pegged at 100% capacity so it might slow it down a bit. It will be hard to know because after this set, I don't have a mass conversion of MPEG2.ts to convert, just daily recordings. I could turn of HW Acceleration and compare on a few to see.

I should also note that I had 4 MCEBuddy Conversions running simultaneously.. 

Wait what !? This is a thing? I wouldn't need to do that, since I am not recording a ton but that is impressive.

• Like 1

Wait what !? This is a thing? I wouldn't need to do that, since I am not recording a ton but that is impressive.

Which is a thing?

Mass conversion of MPEG2TS to HEVC?

Pegging the GTX 1060 to 100%

Doing 4 MCEBuddy conversions at once?

Running MCEBuddy with only half the processors selected on the Ryzen and converting 78 files overnight?

I'm pretty damn impressed with this setup because we were watching TV with the conversations running and didn't notice any hiccups whatsoever.

lightsout

Which is a thing?

Mass conversion of MPEG2TS to HEVC?

Pegging the GTX 1060 to 100%

Doing 4 MCEBuddy conversions at once?

Running MCEBuddy with only half the processors selected on the Ryzen and converting 78 files overnight?

I'm pretty damn impressed with this setup because we were watching TV with the conversations running and didn't notice any hiccups whatsoever.

Haha yeah I guess you covered a lot. I meant 4 conversions at once. But man if you were feeling your server struggle while watching live tv then you were sorely in need of an upgrade. I had an i5 in my server not that long ago, low clocked one at that. Did pretty good with the GPU but still,  easily bogged down.

Haha yeah I guess you covered a lot. I meant 4 conversions at once. But man if you were feeling your server struggle while watching live tv then you were sorely in need of an upgrade. I had an i5 in my server not that long ago, low clocked one at that. Did pretty good with the GPU but still, easily bogged down.

It would only struggle if it was converting in the background. Otherwise it ran great once I installed the GTX 1060. Now it'll conquer everything I push at it!

lightsout

It would only struggle if it was converting in the background. Otherwise it ran great once I installed the GTX 1060. Now it'll conquer everything I push at it!

It will indeed!

• 2 weeks later...