4.3.0.26 Software Transcode

jad3675

jad3675

I just upgraded to the latest stable...and it appears that HW transcoding isn't working? I've attached the ffmpeg log from the session. Downgrading to 4.2.1.0 fixes this issue.

Here's what stands out in the log:

16:26:55.886 [h264_vaapi @ 0x23f9bc0] No usable encoding profile found.
16:26:55.886 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
16:26:55.890 [libmp3lame @ 0x23fd980] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
16:26:55.896 Conversion failed!

John

ffmpeg_issue.txt

• Like 1

vdatanet

Try this: disable the HEVC hardware decoder (but leave all other decoders and encoders enabled)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78303-43013-hw-transcoding-fails-on-some-videos/?p=797207

This bug was introduced in beta 4.3.x. In my opinion, the final version 4.3 should not have been released until this was fixed.

Keep in mind that hardware transcoding is a Premiere feature and special attention must be paid to its proper functioning.

Edited by vdatanet

Hi, this is actually from 4.3. still.

Just the client version is 4.3.0.26 is both cases but the server version is different.

The command lines are identical. So far I don't have an idea what's happening.

@@jad3675 - Are you running this inside a container, e.g. Docker?

Edited by softworkz

jad3675

Just the client version is 4.3.0.26 is both cases but the server version is different.

The command lines are identical. So far I don't have an idea what's happening.

@@jad3675 - Are you running this inside a container, e.g. Docker?

Nope, just under Ubuntu 18.04.

Thanks, @@FDM80 !

In both cases we can see that the command lines are identical,which means that the problem is most likely caused by the ffmpeg update.

The error message "No usable encoding profile found" exists only at a single place in the ffmpeg source - the h264_vaapi encoder.

Next step would be to try different profile values or remove it altogether.

Unfortunately, the diagnostic options that would allow trying out those variants haven't made it into the relase.

@@Luke - How do you want to proceed?

jad3675

On my test system I disabled the h265 decoder as specified in the thread. The logs show that it is doing hardware decoding, but the cpu util on the machine says otherwise as does the dashboard within emby.

5ddaa1745924e_emby_software_trans.jpg

ffmpeg_hardware.txt

The log shows that it is:

• Decoding in software
  • Color conversion in software
  • Uploading to hardware
  • Scaling in hardware
  • Encoding in hardware

That's expected. It's the current workaround for transcoding 10bit HEVC content.

wedgekc

I am seeing the same issue in docker, however I turned off the VAAPI h264 encoder and selected the VAAPI x265 decoder and everything appeared to work correctly (opposite of posts above), VAAPI was decoding x265 and encoding into h264 via the software encoder. It seems that VAAPI decode/encode is possible just not together.

Lighthammer

Glad to see I'm not the only other one wondering about this.

Its a bit annoying since I've been slowly upgrading my library to HEVC.

Do we know when we're going to get native HEVC support instead requiring transcoding from Emby?

Do we know when we're going to get native HEVC support instead requiring transcoding from Emby?

What do you mean by this?

vdatanet

Native HEVC support without transcoding is supported as long as your device supports it.

Edited by vdatanet

Lighthammer

Native HEVC support without transcoding is supported as long as your device supports it.

Huh, I didn't realize this. I thought this was still work in progress. 

I guess Chromecasts aren't able to stream native HEVC. I had just checked this and it does, in fact, not transcode when I'm watching on my computer and does when streaming to Chromecasts.

Edited by Lighthammer

Huh, I didn't realize this. I thought this was still work in progress. 

I guess Chromecasts aren't able to stream native HEVC. I had just checked this and it does, in fact, not transcode when I'm watching on my computer and does when streaming to Chromecasts.

It depends on the Chromecast model. The chromecast ultra supports hevc.

• 2 weeks later...
jad3675

Thanks, @@FDM80 !

In both cases we can see that the command lines are identical,which means that the problem is most likely caused by the ffmpeg update.

The error message "No usable encoding profile found" exists only at a single place in the ffmpeg source - the h264_vaapi encoder.

Next step would be to try different profile values or remove it altogether.

Unfortunately, the diagnostic options that would allow trying out those variants haven't made it into the relase.

@@Luke - How do you want to proceed?

Were these diagnostic options ever pushed out? I'm more than willing to help test this out.

John

• 3 weeks later...
jad3675

Were these diagnostic options ever pushed out? I'm more than willing to help test this out.

John

Any updates @@Luke? The latest beta (4.4.0.4) still has this problem.

Thanks,

John

Edited by jad3675

John

@@jad3675 - An initial set of diagnostic options is finally included in the current beta. A plugin is also available which allows to change those options.

Big "BUT" though: That option that I've promised above (setting HEVC encoding profile) is not yet included. It will happen, though, please don't bother reminding us again ;-)

(I'll not post the link to the plugin here as long as that option is not available as I don't want to fuel false expectations)

jad3675

@@jad3675 - An initial set of diagnostic options is finally included in the current beta. A plugin is also available which allows to change those options.

Big "BUT" though: That option that I've promised above (setting HEVC encoding profile) is not yet included. It will happen, though, please don't bother reminding us again ;-)

(I'll not post the link to the plugin here as long as that option is not available as I don't want to fuel false expectations)

Thanks - I'll wait for everything to be available, then.

John

• 5 weeks later...
AviatorBimmer

New Emby user here (switched from Plex Pass to Emby) and so far, I am loving it!

Quick rundown of my setup:

Synology 1019+ | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD Volume1 (Emby Server) | 14TB WD HGST HDD Volume 2 (Movies)

Emby Server 4.3.1.0

AT&T Fiber 1000/1000 Home Internet

Ok, the situation is the following...

I can DirectStream 4K UHD rips via WiFi or hardwired LAN connections without any issues as far as buffering or transcoding is concerned.

On my iPhone 11 Pro Max, I installed the Emby app and I can DirectStream via Wifi without any transcoding or issues.

The problem is when I'm connecting remotely using LTE.

The movie I was testing has HVEC Main 10, bitrate 68.7 Mbps with 2 audio tracks (primary TrueHD 7.1 Atmos and secondary DTS 5.1). This movie will DirectStream but my LTE signal is not fast enough to keep up with the required 68.7 Mbps, so I will adjust my Emby app to something like 1080p 10 Mbps.

Of course, this will force Emby to transcode and the movie becomes unplayable. Too much buffering even when selecting 720 with very low bit rates.

I checked my dashboard and it says it is software transcoding. I did the test as stated on earlier posts and disabled VAAPI x264 Encoding and now it shows that Emby is decoding HEVC in hardware but encoding x264 in software. Even then, it still buffers too much.

Is this going to be address in version 4.4.x.x?

Edited by AviatorBimmer

New Emby user here (Switch from Plex Pass to Emby) and so far, I am loving it!

Quick rundown on my setup:

Synology 1019+ | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD Volume1 (Emby Server) | 14TB WD HGST HDD Volume 2 (Movies)

Emby Server 4.3.1.0

AT&T Fiber 1000/1000 Home Internet

Ok, the situation is the following...

I can DirectStream 4K UHD rips via WiFi or hardwired LAN connections without any issues as far as buffering or transcoding is concerned.

On my iPhone 11 Pro Max, I installed the Emby app and I can DirectStream via Wifi without any transcoding or issues.

The problem is when I'm connecting remotely using LTE.

The movie I was testing has HVEC Main 10, bitrate 68.7 Mbps with 2 audio tracks (primary TrueHD 7.1 Atmos and secondary DTS 5.1). This movie will DirectStream but my LTE signal is not fast enough to keep up with the required 68.7 Mbps, so I will adjust my Emby app to something like 1080p 10 Mbps.

Of course, this will force Emby to transcode and the movie becomes unplayable. Too much buffering even when selecting 720 with very low bit rates.

I checked my dashboard and it says it is software transcoding. I did the test as stated on earlier posts and disabled VAAPI x264 Encoding and now it shows that Emby is decoding HEVC in hardware but encoding x264 in software. Even then, it still buffers too much.

Is this going to be address in version 4.4.x.x?

Hi there, please attach the ffmpeg log. Thanks.

AviatorBimmer

Hi there, please attach the ffmpeg log. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

I have attached both log files. One with all decoders/encoders enabled and one with just te x264 encoder disabled and everything else enabled.

Hope this helps!

ALL-DECODERS-AND-ENCODERS-ENABLED-ffmpeg-transcode-f03566c0-93bf-4a61-bd31-2182d6c427e2_1.txt

X264-ENCODER-DISABLED-ffmpeg-transcode-f03566c0-93bf-4a61-bd31-2182d6c427e2_1.txt

Edited by AviatorBimmer