transcoding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markkundinger OFFLINE  

markkundinger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

It seems to me that as of right now, if I want to be on the safe size, I need to dedicate a hefty amount of space to my transcoding-temp directory for emby:

I should have enough space available to store the full size of the source file for whatever show(s) are being watched at that moment, plus a small buffer.

In other words, if there are three 4K remuxes playing at the same time, 80GB each,  and they're all transcoding at once, then I need at least 240GB of transcoding space available.

No idea what the requirement would be for live tv, I don't have that feature.

I say this from observation when my Apple TVth gen is a client.  It seems to be able to direct stream a Blu-ray or DVD rip except it doesn't like the mkv format.  The resulting transcode file seems to roughly match the file size of the original movie. And then it's deleted when I stop watching the show.

Also, it seems that if I run out of disk space, the whole movie (and sometimes the server) just stops with an out of disk space condition, there's no auto-pruning while the show is playing.

Does this mean that transcoding to RAM is a bad idea unless I have tremendous amounts of RAM?

So in other words, if I'm running in a virtual machine, I can't use the default folder with my piddly small storage dedicated to that VM.  I need to specify something with more serious space capability.

Did I get that right?

Edited by markkundinger, 08 November 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

Currently yes that is correct.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 PM

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

As happy2play said this is correct, but we plan to improve this in the future to be more adaptive to low storage situations.

#4 markkundinger OFFLINE  

markkundinger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:02 AM

That would be good. I'm a Linux noob so when the whole system stopped working when out of space it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

In the plus side it let me enforce that my kids could only watch for 15 minutes before bedtime

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 PM

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transcoding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users