External Player stopped working

shawnf

Guest asrequested

What evidence would you like to see?

Here is a screenshot of subtitle options in PotPlayer working as an external player in Theater 3.0.10 with a video that has external subtitles.

attachicon.gifPotPlayer Emby Theater.jpg

Hmmm.... Show the player window while playing. And you didn't set the option to download subs?

raymondjpg

Hmmm.... Show the player window while playing. And you didn't set the option to download subs?

Will this do? It is a TV capture, muxed with MKVToolnix which converts teletext to subtitles, and where I have demuxed the subtitle stream for PotPlayer to pick it up automatically. No I have not set any option to download subs. PotPlayer is configured to prefer external over embedded subtitles.

post-2055-0-82865400-1573438387_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

Sadly, that isn't what I was looking for. But from your description, I think you've got a system where PotPlayer is finding the subs on its own. Which is of no help in this discussion.

raymondjpg

Sadly, that isn't what I was looking for. But from your description, I think you've got a system where PotPlayer is finding the subs on its own. Which is of no help in this discussion.

What were you looking for?

I think what I have shown might help in pinpointing why some people are finding PotPlayer and MPC are not working with external subtitles in their systems, when running Theater 3.0.10.

All good, though. Theater just needs to get fixed :)

Seems to be working just fine from here, and i believe you said the same earlier. As a test, perhaps try reinstalling the app.

Guest asrequested

What were you looking for?

I think what I have shown might help in pinpointing why some people are finding PotPlayer and MPC are not working with external subtitles in their systems, when running Theater 3.0.10.

They can't, because they aren't there to be found. You understand what happens when the server is streaming a video, yes? It's copied and re-written in segments to the transcode directory. The subs stay behind, unless you choose them in Theater. So what the player is playing, is the segmented video in the transcode location. There are no external subs to be found. That's why I said that you were missing the point. The ONLY issue is that the videos are being streamed, as shown in my logs and screenshots. PotPlayer has the ability to use the subs from any location you choose. But that isn't a solution, only a workaround.

Seems to be working just fine from here, and i believe you said the same earlier. As a test, perhaps try reinstalling the app.

That's a possibility. I'll give that a try.

raymondjpg

They can't, because they aren't there to be found. You understand what happens when the server is streaming a video, yes? It's copied and re-written in segments to the transcode directory. The subs stay behind, unless you choose them in Theater. So what the player is playing, is the segmented video in the transcode location. There are no external subs to be found. That's why I said that you were missing the point. The ONLY issue is that the videos are being streamed, as shown in my logs and screenshots. PotPlayer has the ability to use the subs from any location you choose. But that isn't a solution, only a workaround.

I still don't follow you. You say the subs stay behind, unless I choose them in Theater. The next screenshot shows the page from which that TV capture is played in Theater 3.0.10. External subtitles still work fine with PotPlayer as the external player, even if Theater says OFF. External subs were found.

That videos are being streamed may be the ONLY issue for you, but from the view of someone who has PotPlayer and MPC-BE working fine in Theater 3.0.10, the fact that some people are finding that they are not is of greater concern for me. I am not looking for a solution for your issue. I'll leave that to those better qualified than I to pursue.

post-2055-0-59728300-1573443914_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

Okey dokey. As the Theater installer isn't working right now, I just grabbed 3.0.10 from github. And indeed it's working as it should. Must have been a botched upgrade.

I still don't follow you. You say the subs stay behind, unless I choose them in Theater. The next screenshot shows the page from which that TV capture is played in Theater 3.0.10. External subtitles still work fine with PotPlayer as the external player, even if Theater says OFF. External subs were found.

That videos are being streamed may be the ONLY issue for you, but from the view of someone who has PotPlayer and MPC-BE working fine in Theater 3.0.10, the fact that some people are finding that they are not is of greater concern for me. I am not looking for a solution for your issue. I'll leave that to those better qualified than I to pursue.

attachicon.gifPotPlayer Emby Theater3.jpg

All good. Looks like something got screwed up when it upgraded. And it would appear that you were unaffected by it. It's as I said, with the everything being streamed, the subs can't be found, because they don't exist in the location the video is being streamed from. This is why in the PM that we were all included, that ISO files also won't work unless there is direct access. It's the same for external subs when using an external player.

But it's working, now. 

Hopefully Luke will fix the installation issue, that's presently happening.

even if Theater says OFF. External subs were found.

In most cases the pre-playback controls will have no effect with external players, so you might as well ignore them. And doofus is right. When the server passes a video url to the external player, it will not be able to locate your external subtitles. When the server passes a direct file path, then the external player can look for subtitle files under the same directory as the video. Emby is not telling the external player anything about the subtitles because there's no way to do this. The fact that it can see your external subtitles is entirely a feature of the external player.

raymondjpg

@

Phew!

Hopefully those affected will have followed this thread and be prepared to download again.

There have been other issues with installation. You've clearly been following that.

Edited by raymondjpg

raymondjpg

@@Luke. I can't reply to your post, it says "You do not have permission to view this forum.", just to say I have never claimed that the server was locating the external subtitle files, rather that the external player was picking them up as expected. I just couldn't understand why doofus was saying that PotPlayer and MPC-BE wouldn't work with external subtitles as expected, when clearly they were in my setup.

Guest asrequested

@@Luke. I can't reply to your post, it says "You do not have permission to view this forum.", just to say I have never claimed that the server was locating the external subtitle files, rather that the external player was picking them up as expected. I just couldn't understand why doofus was saying that PotPlayer and MPC-BE wouldn't work with external subtitles as expected, when clearly they were in my setup.

Your expectation is unique to you. The general expectation is as we described. The player looks for subs where the video is. This is why they are required to be named the same as the video. And why I said you have your own system worked out. Those players have their own capabilities, which you've chosen to use. This doesn't apply to anything to do with Emby, which is what we are here to use and figure out. I was trying to get you to see that, because your workaround wasn't going to work, here.

raymondjpg

Your expectation is unique to you. The general expectation is as we described. The player looks for subs where the video is. This is why they are required to be named the same as the video. And why I said you have your own system worked out. Those players have their own capabilities, which you've chosen to use. This doesn't apply to anything to do with Emby, which is what we are here to use and figure out. I was trying to get you to see that, because your workaround wasn't going to work, here.

I've never said anything else. Look back to my original reply to somegirl (post #45) . As far as I am concerned, use of an external player in Emby is a valuable feature, not a workaround.

Edited by raymondjpg

Guest asrequested

I've never said anything else. Look back to my original reply to somegirl (post #45) . As far as I am concerned, use of an external player in Emby is a valuable feature, not a workaround.

Nevermind. You aren't understanding. It's working as it should. All good, we're done here :)