External Player stopped working

shawnf

raymondjpg

Yes, me too. I've had the same setup for a long-ass time; I know how to use external .srt files. The only thing that's changed in my setup is that now Emby Theater is passing a streaming URL to my (and other people's) external player instead of the direct path. If that's not happening to you, that's great for you - I wish I knew what difference might cause it to happen to some of us but not you.

Looks like two different issues. The first, I thought, was with reference to Power DVD as an external player. I think it's been established now that PDVD works with the previous version 3.0.9.

Your issue looks to be more to do with network path setup in Emby Server. I know you said that you had it configured correctly, and that it was working with an earlier version of Theater, but it might be worthwhile deleting libraries and adding them again to see if that makes a difference. As Theater and Server are on the same PC it seems unlikely that the issue is related to networking.

Can't think of anything else ATM.

Edit: Double check your computer name. I don't see how that may have changed, but it would be one more thing that I would do if I had the same issues.

Edited by raymondjpg

Guest asrequested

I've tried this from two different machines running two different emby servers, with various media locations. The result is the same, each time.

raymondjpg

I don't understand why anyone uses an external player, anyway. Especially PotPlayer and VLC. PotPlayer uses mpv, and VLC is pretty much mpv, but not as good. MPC is junk, and MadVR is a nuisance.  

This isn't the time or place to be arguing about the merits or otherwise of external players. The fact is that some people prefer to use them, the application allows for it, and if and when external players are not working the answer is not to abandon them, but to fix the problem.

Luke asked me once why I preferred to use an external player and seemed satisfied by my response. I was thankful Theater was then modified to allow Live TV to be streamed via an external player.

You may prefer to use the inbuilt player. That is your choice. Personally I would always choose a player that can utilise MadVR, and far from being a nuisance, once set up has no ongoing maintenance requirement.

raymondjpg

I've tried this from two different machines running two different emby servers, with various media locations. The result is the same, each time.

I have tried this on two different machines, one with Server and Theater on the same PC and the other with Theater on a PC on the LAN talking back to the Server on the aforementioned PC, and both work as they should with PotPlayer as an external player and external subtitles working.

It is possible that differences in experiences might be related to file sharing and permissions setup.

Guest asrequested

I have tried this on two different machines, one with Server and Theater on the same PC and the other with Theater on a PC on the LAN talking back to the Server on the aforementioned PC, and both work as they should with PotPlayer as an external player and external subtitles working.

It is possible that differences in experiences might be related to file sharing and permissions setup.

The external player can't see the subs if the media is being streamed through the server. This is incontrovertible. You can select them in Theater, and they will play. But you cannot select them in the player when the media is being streamed. Theater is not giving the player the network location of the media. This is very clearly established. All network settings are correct, if they weren't, nothing would direct play in Theater, and everything direct plays except when using an external player. The issue reported, is 100% correct, or using an earlier version of Theater would also have the same result. Something is different in this version.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I just pulled down 3.0.9 and ran it as a standalone, with mpv as an external player. It works, correctly.

[   0.010][v][ifo_dvdnav] Opening \\Htpc\d\Temp Movie Library\Wanted (2008)\Wanted (2008).mp4
[   0.010][d][cplayer] Run command: disable-section, flags=64, args=[input]
[   0.010][v][bdmv/bluray] Opening \\Htpc\d\Temp Movie Library\Wanted (2008)\Wanted (2008).mp4
[   0.011][v][file] Opening \\Htpc\d\Temp Movie Library\Wanted (2008)\Wanted (2008).mp4

raymondjpg

I just pulled down 3.0.9 and ran it as a standalone, with mpv as an external player. It works, correctly.

You have demonstrated that mpv works on 3.0.9 but not 3.0.10 on your devices. That is consistent with what has been reported for PowerDVD, but that might just be coincidental.

PotPlayer is working as expected in mine with 3.0.10, and Server reporting Direct playing. You say that PotPlayer uses mpv, so why does it work on my devices (all Win10 Professional 1903)?

I have also tried with MPC-BE. Same result, Server reporting Direct playing.

I would have thought that mpv is unlikely to be used as an external player by many users, more likely something more user-friendly like PotPlayer, MPC or VLC. Would you be able to test these (at least PotPlayer and VLC if MPC won't run on your systems) to see if they are working correctly? If they do then it would suggest that attention needs to be focused on mpv and PowerDVD as external players for 3.0.10. If they don't, it suggests something more fundamentally associated with the setup of Theater.

Edited by raymondjpg

Guest asrequested

You have demonstrated that mpv works on 3.0.9 but not 3.0.10 on your devices. That is consistent with what has been reported for PowerDVD, but that might just be coincidental.

PotPlayer is working as expected in mine with 3.0.10, and Server reporting Direct playing. You say that PotPlayer uses mpv, so why does it work on my devices (all Win10 Professional 1903)?

I would have thought that mpv is unlikely to be used as an external player by many users, more likely something more user-friendly like PotPlayer, MPC or VLC. Would you be able to test these (at least PotPlayer and VLC if MPC won't run on your systems) to see if they are working correctly? If they do then it would suggest that attention needs to be focused on mpv and PowerDVD as external players for 3.0.10. If they don't, it suggests something more fundamentally associated with the setup of Theater.

The mechanism is the same. But using mpv to test, I can look at the log to see what's happening. The issue report is that PDVD doesn't play a video. This is because Theater isn't providing direct access to the media. PDVD doesn't support that, so it never plays anything. mpv will do everything, and tell me exactly what it's doing. The player isn't the problem, it's Theater. 3.0.9 works, 3.0.10, doesn't, unless you use a player that supports streaming. 

Guest asrequested

The server dashboard is of no help in these cases. (Doesn't she look great, though? :D )

5dc895976b950_Stream.jpg

Edited by Doofus

raymondjpg

The server dashboard is of no help in these cases. (Doesn't she look great, though? :D )

Nevertheless, as I have reported, both PotPlayer and MPC-BE are working as expected with external subtitles selectable through the player. This suggests to me Direct playing with an external player. Are you saying it is not?

Guest asrequested

Nevertheless, as I have reported, both PotPlayer and MPC-BE are working as expected with external subtitles selectable through the player. This suggests to me Direct playing with an external player. Are you saying it is not?

I have no idea what you're using or how you're using it, but Theater 3.0.10 is sending a stream, which PDVD doesn't support. It is not allowing direct play in an external player. I've conclusively proved that and shown it.

Edited by Doofus

raymondjpg

I have no idea what you're using or how you're using it...

Emby Theater 3.0.10

Emby Server 4.2.1.0

PotPlayer (64 bit) version 1.7.18346

MPC-BE (64 bit) 1.5.4 (build 4603) beta

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Version 1903 OS build 18362.418

Used in both a host PC running both Emby Server and Theater, and in a client PC running Theater and using Server in the host PC.

Guest asrequested

I think you're missing the point. These guys want to use PDVD. As is, it won't play anything. Most players will handle streaming media, PDVD won't.

raymondjpg

I think you're missing the point. These guys want to use PDVD. As is, it won't play anything. Most players will handle streaming media, PDVD won't.

OK I think I see the point of difference. I acknowledge that there is an issue with PDVD, it won't work with 3.0.10, but somegirl reported that PotPlayer was not working with 3.0.10. I was addressing that issue, and I was pointing out that both PotPlayer and MPC-BE both work as expected in my setup.

Guest asrequested

OK I think I see the point of difference. I acknowledge that there is an issue with PDVD, it won't work with 3.0.10, but somegirl reported that PotPlayer was not working with 3.0.10. I was addressing that issue, and I was pointing out that both PotPlayer and MPC-BE both work as expected in my setup.

Again, I think you're missing this. The external player has nothing to do with it. Theater is sending a stream, regardless of where it's going to. It's just that all the other players can handle it. Theater shouldn't be sending a stream when direct access is available. It's almost as though it's defaulting to that, without any kind of checking. Just look at the last two pictures I posted. Both played from the same machine, same external player in the same location. The only part that is changed, is Theater.

raymondjpg

Again, I think you're missing this. The external player has nothing to do with it. Theater is sending a stream, regardless of where it's going to. It's just that all the other players can handle it. Theater shouldn't be sending a stream when direct access is available. It's almost as though it's defaulting to that, without any kind of checking. Just look at the last two pictures I posted. Both played from the same machine, same external player in the same location. The only part that is changed, is Theater.

somegirl couldn't get VLC, MPC or PotPlayer to work with external subtitles on 3.0.10. That is the point I am addressing. I agree that you have demonstrated that something has changed with 3.0.10. I have shown that it makes no material difference to the performance of PotPlayer or MPC-BE as external players. It's not going to help folk who want to use PDVD, where it looks like some fix in Theater would be necessary that will allow use of that application.

Guest asrequested

somegirl couldn't get VLC, MPC or PotPlayer to work with external subtitles on 3.0.10. That is the point I am addressing.

Correct. They don't work in the players. Because the media is being streamed.

Edited by Doofus

raymondjpg

Correct. They don't work in the players. Because the media is being streamed.

They do work in PotPlayer and MPC-BE on my system, including external subtitles.

Guest asrequested

They do work in PotPlayer and MPC-BE on my system, including external subtitles.

Try VLC and tell us what happens. Screenshots?

Edited by Doofus

raymondjpg

VLC (same as mpv)

As I said before I don't have VLC installed on my system. My opinion of VLC coincides with your opinion of MPC.

Try PotPlayer, and MPC-BE if you wish.

Guest asrequested

As I said before I don't have VLC installed on my system. My opinion of VLC coincides with your opinion of MPC.

Try PotPlayer, and MPC-BE if you wish.

I don't need to test any further. Theater is streaming everything. I've thoroughly documented it. You haven't given any evidence of anything, so we can't simple trust what you're saying. 

raymondjpg

You haven't given any evidence of anything, so we can't simple trust what you're saying. 

What evidence would you like to see?

Here is a screenshot of subtitle options in PotPlayer working as an external player in Theater 3.0.10 with a video that has external subtitles.

post-2055-0-79105000-1573437390_thumb.jpg