Pixelation and Glitching in Recorded TV using Emby DVR

EmbyKiwi
Go to solution Solved by EmbyKiwi,

EmbyKiwi
8 hours ago, MostlyBroken said:

I think I can eliminate the HD Homerun - I have used this quite a lot to watch / record TV before I was using Emby for this and never had this issue.

Hi @MostlyBroken

My HD Homeruns had both been used for years successfully with other software and continued to be when I was having these issues with Emby so while it does mean that they aren't broken, it doesn't mean that they will necessarily work successfully with Emby. As you may have read earlier in this post, I replaced my admittedly quite old HD Homeruns with a newer version and it has basically worked perfectly since, with the same setup. 

I do owe @cayars some testing from some time back. I did start the process but managed to upgrade a firmware or something on my old HD Homerun and it basically stopped working with Emby at all. I was trying to sort that out when life got a bit busier and I never got back to it. Sorry about that Cayars! 🙂

Anyway, I'm not saying that your HD Homeruns are definitely the issue as you might already have a more modern version than I had but worth considering. I'm in NZ so versions are also different in different markets. 

Cheers

If you know what firmware version you had and what's on it now, that in itself is useful data and the actual model of course.

Don't worry about doing more testing with it unless you want to play.  It's not like we get a lot of new users with ancient hardware.  They likely would have tried Emby by now. :)

• 3 weeks later...
EmbyKiwi

@cayars

Finally had another crack at this today. Whatever they've updated in recent firmware versions has definitely upset Emby even further! 🙂  Nothing but spinning coloured circles.

The model of the old HD Homerun Dual is HDHR3-DT.  Current firmware (not working at all) is 20210422. This seems to be the latest version for this model. Not completely sure what the firmware version was that was on it at the start of this post but probably 20190221 or earlier.

The model that is working perfectly: HDHR5-4DT 🙂  Firmware : 20210624

Just out of interest, I connected the old HDHR3-DT to Mediaportal and it worked fine so unit is still alive ... just something about Emby it doesn't like.

I've ordered an HDHR5-2DT as backup in case my main unit fails and will find a home for the old unit somewhere in a non-Emby world! 🙂

Cheers

Thanks, that's good info to have on hand.

It doesn't surprise me that those old boards still work with Media Portal.  They added code at the time I believe specifically for those older HDHRs.
If you ever need to use those old cards, setting up Media Portal to use the card and then using the Media Portal plugin in Emby is likely the best approach.

But anyway, thanks for that info!

• 5 months later...
dougward

So it's been awhile. I have re-installed Emby 4.6.7.0 on Windows 11 and I've been using it for about a week.  Not a lot of extensive testing, but I am able to watch a live recording, forward and rewind without the pixelation issues, so far.  I have also been running the 4.7.0.38  beta of Emby on Ubuntu and have not had any pixelation issues either.  I'll test some more on my Windows installation over the next few weeks and post again.  Maybe it was all just a bad dream.

It could have been a bad codec, driver or something that was machine specific as well.

Good to hear things are working well for you on multiple OSes.  PS No love for .39 ? :)

dougward

It's a manual process to update on Ubuntu (as far as i know) and I just haven't updated to .39 yet.  I have noticed some issues using the beta when fast forwarding and rewinding active recordings, it doesn't corrupt the video, but it's like Emby will just go out to lunch, I'll have to exit playback, then go back to the show.  I don't have logs and it seems random.  I'm assuming when the release notes say, 'various transcoding fixes' that is the issue.  Since we've sort of gone off topic, one thing I have noticed on both stable and beta, if playing back a live recording and the show ends but I haven't reached the end of the show, if I navigate away from the playback, or if my screen goes to sleep because I have it paused, and I end up on the screen for the show (the screen that has the description and play buttons) the play button does not show the place where I left off, but instead it starts from the beginning of the show when I hit play.  Not sure I explained that so well and sort of off topic. Thanks.

I would install .39 and retest as that brings new transcoder fixes.  This is getting really close (ie day(s) to release so if you have a problem with this using .39 please let us know.

Carlo

• 1 year later...

I am reopening this thread as we have this issue for a long time on the betas and it seems to be getting worse.

Anyone else have the issue still ?

this is latest beta, HDHR Duals (very old), and writing recordings to NVME drive by emby.  All Ethernet cables, no wifi.

As we only ever watch the news when it is still being recorded, it does only seem to affect this.

this never used to be an issue though (wife says many months back is was ok, like over 6 months or so ago)