Are seasonal themes still a thing?

mastrmind11

ryderjj89

Almost a year later but wanted to bump this. The seasonal themes are still missing for Emby for Windows, Emby Web, and Emby for Android. I have them on my Google TV, but that's about it.

I guess a workaround for now would be to find something to use with the Stylus extension for Windows at least or try to find some extensive custom CSS for Settings -> Custom CSS.

It would be nice to have the seasonal themes back natively though. Any idea on when these might make it back @Luke?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryderjj89 said:

Almost a year later but wanted to bump this. The seasonal themes are still missing for Emby for Windows, Emby Web, and Emby for Android. I have them on my Google TV, but that's about it.

I guess a workaround for now would be to find something to use with the Stylus extension for Windows at least or try to find some extensive custom CSS for Settings -> Custom CSS.

It would be nice to have the seasonal themes back natively though. Any idea on when these might make it back @Luke?

When you install apps on devices, isn't it normally the devices UI that does this sort of thing, and not each individual app?

From my perspective, the harsh complaints from those who don't want this have taken the fun out of it, which is all it was meant to be in the first place.

• Sad 2

ryderjj89
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you install apps on devices, isn't it normally the devices UI that does this sort of thing, and not each individual app?

From my perspective, the harsh complaints from those who don't want this have taken the fun out of it, which is all it was meant to be in the first place.

I don't think so. I use Stylus to at least apply a theme through Emby Web, but that's all. On Android, the themes drop down in the profile settings -> display just has some basic ones like Dark, Blue Radiance, etc. The seasonal ones used to show up as an option to switch to on a user level. I wouldn't say it should be something that automatically changes, but at least have them as an option. Then the ones who don't like them won't have to worry about them.

I just thought it was weird that my Google TV has the holiday themes, the suggestions, sounds, etc but nothing else I use does. There's no parity. I'm someone that really likes to get into holiday spirit lol. Lights, decorations, etc.

Android, the app for Windows, etc aren't affected by the OS UI to change something like that. Maybe light or dark mode if anything, but applying a seasonal theme for Halloween, Christmas, etc would have to be the Emby app itself, which has been missing for a while now.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

I wouldn't say it should be something that automatically changes, but at least have them as an option. Then the ones who don't like them won't have to worry about them.

Right and therein lies the problem. These are not quick throw-ins like most settings normally are. Seasonal themes are a lot of work, not just initially, but ongoing to keep them compatible. Therefore if they can't be enabled by default then I'm not sure it's the best place to put our developer resources given the low number of people that will end up using them. It's not that I don't like the seasonal themes, it's just that these are hard decisions that we often have to make.

• Like 1

Spaceboy
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

i don't recall it this way. in fact the opposite. like this guy, most people wanted the seasonal themes but just wanted more control over them.

• Agree 1

ryderjj89
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Right and therein lies the problem. These are not quick throw-ins like most settings normally are. Seasonal themes are a lot of work, not just initially, but ongoing to keep them compatible. Therefore if they can't be enabled by default then I'm not sure it's the best place to put our developer resources given the low number of people that will end up using them. It's not that I don't like the seasonal themes, it's just that these are hard decisions that we often have to make.

Do you have any kind of analytics that shows how many people really use them? Would it be worth having an "automatically enable seasonal themes" toggle and then announcing that in a blog post or change log? Really get it out there to folks. I understand the resources it would take and if people won't use them, what's the point. That's a sad reality. If it's something you don't think could happen, I understand. The devs over at theme-park have done a nice job on the themes they have available, but they only work for certain things and can't apply everywhere. Plus, they don't have seasonal themes.

With that being said, is it possible that the apps that currently have these themes may cease to have them in the future?

4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i don't recall it this way. in fact the opposite. like this guy, most people wanted the seasonal themes but just wanted more control over them.

OK maybe Roku is the only one that does that, but I thought I remembered some other devices with their own themes.