Are seasonal themes still a thing?

mastrmind11

miniliQuid

That is not correct.

If you choose the theme manually, it currently does not play the sound effect.  The thinking being that you may want the color scheme all year but that howl would be annoying every time you opened the app...

(my cat takes cover every time that thing sounds :P )

Well I am sure that when I turned the themes off, it stopped howling as well.

Must have been very coincedental then for it not to happen at that point.

Though I have the theme chosen manually as dashboard, as main theme (yes I love the color scheme) & seasonal is also on.

That is on my tablet, not sure how the other apps are doing things with these settings.

Well, today the halloween theme is active on both WebApp and Android Mobile.

Shouldn't the time frame of these themes be unified over all platforms?!

I think that would have avoided some of the confusion that came up here.

daedalus
If you choose the theme manually, it currently does not play the sound effect.  The thinking being that you may want the color scheme all year but that howl would be annoying every time you opened the app...

(my cat takes cover every time that thing sounds :P )

still no sound effects on webapp & ET, today the theme automatically got applied

and @ ET accent color for top bar is still not orange, just like last year, thx for fixing nothing <_<

post-143-0-26739400-1572520141_thumb.png

@@ebr 'spooky suggestions' cute.

badly not available on other platforms

Edited by daedalus

riothamus

Yeah, it showed up on my Web App today.  I could have sworn that it started the Halloween theme a day or so before Halloween last year, but I could be wrong.  Either way, I think seasonal themes should run for at least a couple of days, to help get the effect out of them.  For example, my Roku boxes started displaying their Halloween themes yesterday, and my kids got a kick out of that.

Yeah, these things are supposed to be fun surprises in the Emby experience.  We really aren't all that concerned with everything being exactly the same in this case.

But, when all we hear is negativity surrounding them, then we are almost forced to just remove the fun for everyone (certainly kills it for us unfortunately).

• Like 1

daedalus

great decision, trowing the towel instead of proper implementations

in case you didn't noticed, this whole thread is about getting it (back) in a proper and consistent way

I made it tamer after getting tired of feedback like this:
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78864-unwanted-halloween-theme/&do=findComment&comment=801976
When it gets that harsh it's almost not even worth doing.

and why not including an option for the sounds as well?

or even mention in the description that sounds are possible?

Edited by daedalus
  • Facepalm 1

Guest asrequested

Yeah, complaints for having it and not having it. Maybe have it turned off by default? That way you only have it if you really want it? I like them :)

To be honest, your feedback takes the fun out of it as well. This will never be something that we can spend a whole lot of time on given all of the other things users want. It is supposed to just be a quick, fun addition. But with this type of negativity honestly I would rather just not even do it.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

clarkss12

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and therefore LOVE that theme.....  Keep up the good work.

Yeah, complaints for having it and not having it. Maybe have it turned off by default? That way you only have it if you really want it? I like them :)

Unfortunately, that would mean pretty much no one would ever see them so it wouldn't be worth spending the time on.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Unfortunately, that would mean pretty much no one would ever see them so it wouldn't be worth spending the time on.

That's a pity. I was looking forward to the holiday theme over Christmas.

vdatanet

You only get negative feedback, because people who like them, don't say a thing.

• Like 1

daedalus

asking for it, with complete description, on initial setup/first user login?

Edited by daedalus

Spaceboy

I made it tamer after getting tired of feedback like this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78864-unwanted-halloween-theme/&do=findComment&comment=801976

When it gets that harsh it's almost not even worth doing.

or, or, you could have implemented the request to give users more control over this. Expect to receive similarly harsh feedback until you do
  • Like 2

pwhodges

or, or, you could have implemented the request to give users more control over this. Expect to receive similarly harsh feedback until you do

It's just a little fun thing for a short period.  Why are people making such a fuss over it? 

I know forums where you get a special theme for a day or two without any option, and then it changes back - and on those no one is surprised, and no one complains.  Same on April fools - I once on a webcomic forum made all the comic characters' names appear upsidedown in every post in the forum for the day, and people just enjoyed it (and asked how I did it).

Spaceboy

It's just a little fun thing for a short period. Why are people making such a fuss over it?

I know forums where you get a special theme for a day or two without any option, and then it changes back - and on those no one is surprised, and no one complains. Same on April fools - I once on a webcomic forum made all the comic characters' names appear upsidedown in every post in the forum for the day, and people just enjoyed it (and asked how I did it).

yeah but when it doesn’t work and there is only dev interest in it for a”short period” each year then people DO make a fuss over it. You’re starting from the position that it works, that’s not true for everyone.
  • Like 2

riothamus

How about a write-up on how we could create these themes ourselves, and move the bit of code that fires off the seasonal theme to a scheduled task?  That way, those of us that are so-inclined can create our own seasonal themes, share them on the site, and enable/disable them from the scheduled task?

• Like 1

daedalus

How about a write-up on how we could create these themes ourselves

theme support got rejected for no reason (at least it was not communicated why)