Photo

Question regarding Android app

transcode direct play

Best Answer Luke , 17 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

Hi, the unlock won't affect this. What you'll want to look at is the in app quality setting. You may need to raise it to avoid the transcoding. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 okko OFFLINE  

okko

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 01:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

I have the Emby app installed on my Shield which plays my local files easily, including my 4K files with HD audio as I direct stream.

I have installed a remote server using my cloud provider to stream my media.  Because it is a new server, whenever I choose it, the "trial" warning comes up so I would have to unlock / purchase.

My question simply is this:  Using the app as it is (trial), when I play a 4K file, it automatically transcodes (stats for nerds shows this as well as saying maximum bitrate has been exceeded).  If I unlock this app, will it then direct play as with my local files?  Does purchasing the app "unlock" this feature or is this a true network limitation?  

I do run a Plex server similarly and it direct plays flawlessly.

Kev

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142356 posts
  • Local time: 12:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:59 PM   Best Answer

Hi, the unlock won't affect this. What you'll want to look at is the in app quality setting. You may need to raise it to avoid the transcoding.
  • okko likes this

#3 okko OFFLINE  

okko

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the very quick response.  I had to change the playback option from "auto" to the highest (which is 100 Mbps).  I thought "Auto" would max the bitrate itself

Kev

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142356 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Auto selects a max value only when you're on the same local network as the server.

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48143 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:26 AM

Hi.  Also realize that, if you end up with stuttering or pausing playback, that you may need to lower that quality setting (or set back to Auto).

Thanks.

#6 okko OFFLINE  

okko

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

Hi.  Also realize that, if you end up with stuttering or pausing playback, that you may need to lower that quality setting (or set back to Auto).

Thanks.

Yes, I have been very successful with full direct streaming of my files even 4K / ATMOS / HDR.  It's a thing of beauty, but I hear you.

Thanks

Kev

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transcode, direct play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users