Transcoding per user

cochize1

cochize1

So, I have about 20 users but provide Live TV to only 2 of them. In order to provide a smooth playback with Live TV I was advised to set a max playback bandwidth below 20 Mbps, and ok, it works smooth so far. But now, all my users have downgraded  video quality which forces the transcoding while watching movies or series with "media bitrate exceed limit" info.

How can I set an automatic media quality for local network for all users and limited quality (to 8-10 Mbps) to just those that use Live TV? I believe that could limit the necessity of transcoding.

Hi, we don't currently offer a way to configure based on the type of media, only based on the type of network connection. 

cochize1

ok, so if the limit for every user is set to, say 10 Mbps, why most of the movies (standard 1080p, 2GB, mkv files) have "media bitrate exceeds limit" transcoding issue?

ok, so if the limit for every user is set to, say 10 Mbps, why most of the movies (standard 1080p, 2GB, mkv files) have "media bitrate exceeds limit" transcoding issue?

Because you set the limit on the server, and they can also set a limit on their end, based on their network connection. The end result that you get is based on all of those factors.

If you can provide the details of a specific example, then I can answer in more detail. Thanks.