Combination Server and NAS

Netbug

Deathsquirrel

Definitely get a remote control tool like teamviewer instead or using RDP.  There are apps that don't run correctly under RDP.  Heck, I make my living managing product support for an app that doesn't run under RDP.

• Like 1

Netbug

Just for future planning - use the largest drive you can get your hands on for your parity drive.  It has to be as large as the largest drive in your system forever.  So, if you use a 2TB for parity you can never have any data drives larger than 2TB.

Yeah. I was going to put at least a 3TB in there. Possibly a 4.

Netbug

TeamViewer seems to be popular. I was trying to decide between that and LogMeIn. But LMI's continued refusal to put out a Windows Phone app bugs me.

TeamViewer it is.

DeeMac

Before logmein went un-free (just recently) for the regular guy, they were the option. I fear TeamViewer could do the same. Ive been using google chrome remote app because since I use their browser, its just a plugin and I don't have to worry about dynamic dns, firewalls or routers. I have vnc if google goes un-free also, but its more technical.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

One thing that might be possible, to make this work for your parents but it would cost a bit more. In the original post, you said your parents were going to go to two different locations and wanted to take their collection with them... You also stated they would use Rokus as their HTPCs. You need Media Storage and a server.

You could build an HTPC for each location that acts as both server and client and put Windows then MBC or MBT on each. These would stay at the locations. Then for Media, you get a 8-12 Terabyte Storage system. This could be something like a Western Digital MyCloud box or your own USB3/eSata/RJ45 box with discs in it. The first is very portable. The second is expandable. For backup/redundancy you would have copies on your network. You can put new media on the device etc... You would even do basic maintenance remotely as needed. When your parents move from one residence to the other, they simply take the storage device with them and plug it into the network at the other residence. You can make both networks with the same components at each location.

Not quite a complex as some of the solutions above, but for my parents it is the one that would work. Take this box with you and plug it in here when you get to the winter house. Your parents may be more technical. My father still listens to baseball on the radio more than he watches it on television. My mother's idea of high tech is Farmville and she believes she can't connect to the Internet without using AOL's client. They have a Bluray player but find it easier to use DVDs than Blurays in the device. They read 20 books a week and don't know how to use an ebook. They've had an HD television for over 5 years and finally started getting HD content through DirecTV six months ago.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Netbug

That's essentially what I wanted to do, Wayne. But having the entire system as a unit (including the server) I think will be more efficient.

• 4 weeks later...
Netbug

I've built the system and it's running beautifully. I have yet to configure the storage pool, but everything is looking fantastic thus far.

I have a question though, with the hardware that I got, I only have 4 SATA connectors on the MB. These are all in-use at present. To expand to 9 drives (one SSD and 8 media drives), I need additional SATA connectors. I'm guessing that the only way to do this is with a PCI expansion card. This is unfortunate as I'm using the only PCI slot for a Wireless NIC.

My best (only) solution would be to replace that NIC with a USB one and put a card in. Does this sound correct?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a SATA expansion card? I would need 5 SATA connectors.

Thanks again for all the help.

Koleckai Silvestri

You're very brave running a server on Wireless. I don't have that kind of courage.

You have a couple of options...

1) Use an External Case that connects to your machine via USB and holds 2-8 drives. If you have eSata on the mainboard, you could use that. This might be slow though if you don't have USB3.

2) Replace the wireless card with a USB and use a USB dongle.

3) There isn't an Ethernet connection on the mainboard? For a server, I would use this myself. Even if you have to move the machine elsewhere. If you have to move it, you can run it headless and use Teamview or RDP to manage it.

• Like 1

Netbug

Positioning of the server is problematic with Ethernet available. The box I've setup is hot-swap with 8 bays.

So I guess for expansion, my original summation is correct? I will need to purchase a PCI SATA expansion card. Any recommendations for brand/model?

DeeMac

Netbug, I suggest starting here and peruse the highest rated cards.... and read the reviews!...

h t t p://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007607%20600022631&IsNodeId=1&Description=pcie%20sata%20controller%20card&name=SATA%20III%20%286.0Gb%2fs%29&Order=REVIEWS&Pagesize=20

I suggest getting a mobo that better fits your needs if you are trying to minimize the external parts.

please post your intended config before purchasing.  Having more eyes on your prize results in no cries!  (but I'm not a rapper)

Use this tool to tell us your config:  http://pcpartpicker.com/

Edited by DeeMac

• 3 years later...